VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am using avidemux to join 2 videos. One is 17 seconds long and the other is 45 minutes long. I set both video and audio output to copy and save the video but the resulting video is only the first appended video 45 minutes long! Why is that? What happened to the second video?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless the two files have the ABSOLUTE EXACT SAME video and audio characteristics....that(joining/appending them using COPY) is not going to happen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Then i will need another program because although both are avi they were created with different programs and codecs. What program could I use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can still do it in avidemux. The bare minimum is that the dimensions width/height are the same (or resize within the program to match).

As hech54 stated you can not copy over two different spec vids but you can re-encode them however you want. Of course, any re-encode will lose quality but that's the best you can expect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, if the 2 videos' specs don't match as mentioned above you'll have to re encode one to match the other. This isn't a limitaion of avidemux, it's be true for any editor/encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You may be able to reencode only one of the videos. Just make it match the properties of the other video. Then concatenate them. All of this can be done with AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i told this several times. Avidemux has problem with short videos. I used to use it as reencoding small parts where first I frame was actually in movie itself. So I have advertisiment on start when cut on I frames, and need this part cut off. So i reencoded this small part. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. So I would suggest do this things in mkvtoolnix.
    Of course, problem can be in different source, but as far as i know Avidemux simply has problem with very short videos. Weird but true.
    OP can actually try to reencode this small (in terms of duration) and probably get message about problem. Not related to duration but something like unable to save or so....

Edit: also using Append in Avidemux Iam quite sure, it do not allow part with different resolution or fps... Using open of course will work with last opened file. But OP mentioned appended so this shouldn't be problem.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 11th Oct 2018 at 10:22. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious what happened with two different sizes of videos. Here is the expecting result.
    [Attachment 46905 - Click to enlarge]

So user must be blind to miss this

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My version of AviDemux is older than dirt....no warning boxes like that one.
    If it ain't broke....don't fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.k. this version isn't already night build. Actually it says 2018, but don't remember when change it. So probably some (but solid night build at the end)
    And yes, you are absolutelly right. When it works, do not update, should be paraphrase of your smart statement.

+ there is after this message another message, that appending was unsucceful.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. The videos do get appended but the first video overlays the second which I find very weird. Anyway, I quit it and used Joyoshare instead.
    Quote Quote