VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I've recently added a DMR-ES15 into my workflow for capture after seeing quite a few mentions on these forums regarding their tbc capabilities. I'm having some issues however when running s-video throughput into the recorder. It seems no matter what the picture is outputting in black & white. At first I thought it was a cabling issue but I've tested each cable in the chain and when taking the dvd recorder out of the equation the picture returns to colour. I've also noticed that the output itself is in colour as the menus are displaying colour and a composite feed in will pass through colour just fine as well so I'm a bit stumped what the issue could be as I was under the impression this recorder was s-video capable.

To break it down the chain looks like this sony slv-t2000 (s-video)>multisystem timebase corrector (s-video in & out)>panasonic dmr-es15 (s-video in & out)>s-video splitter to bnc breakout>blackmagic ultrastudio express via thunderbolt>adobe premiere

I've also taken the multisystem timebase corrector out of the equation to see if that helps but still the same issue so my thoughts are pointing toward the dmr-es15's s-video input.

Anyone had any similar issues at all?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Sounds like the Color part of the signal (Pin 4) is not making it into the machine. It could be as minor as a bit of corrosion or as major as a broken trace or failed component on a circuit board. Try spraying some contact cleaner into the s-video jack and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hmmm tried a bit of contact cleaner but no luck. I've contacted the seller to see if they had any issues with the s-video input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by stunner21 View Post
    I've also noticed that the output itself is in colour as the menus are displaying colour and a composite feed in will pass through colour just fine as well so I'm a bit stumped what the issue could be as I was under the impression this recorder was s-video capable.
    ....when viewed on a television or when viewed in the software?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by stunner21 View Post
    Hi all,

I've recently added a DMR-ES15 into my workflow for capture after seeing quite a few mentions on these forums regarding their tbc capabilities. I'm having some issues however when running s-video throughput into the recorder. It seems no matter what the picture is outputting in black & white. At first I thought it was a cabling issue but I've tested each cable in the chain and when taking the dvd recorder out of the equation the picture returns to colour. I've also noticed that the output itself is in colour as the menus are displaying colour and a composite feed in will pass through colour just fine as well so I'm a bit stumped what the issue could be as I was under the impression this recorder was s-video capable.

To break it down the chain looks like this sony slv-t2000 (s-video)>multisystem timebase corrector (s-video in & out)>panasonic dmr-es15 (s-video in & out)>s-video splitter to bnc breakout>blackmagic ultrastudio express via thunderbolt>adobe premiere

I've also taken the multisystem timebase corrector out of the equation to see if that helps but still the same issue so my thoughts are pointing toward the dmr-es15's s-video input. Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime

Anyone had any similar issues at all?
    Sounds like the Color some portion of the flag (Pin 4) isn't making it into the machine. It could be as minor as a touch of erosion or as major as a broken follow or fizzled segment on a circuit board. Take a stab at showering some contact cleaner into the s-video jack and see what occurs.
    Last edited by firarottico; 12th Oct 2018 at 13:51.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by stunner21 View Post
    I've also noticed that the output itself is in colour as the menus are displaying colour and a composite feed in will pass through colour just fine as well so I'm a bit stumped what the issue could be as I was under the impression this recorder was s-video capable.
    ....when viewed on a television or when viewed in the software?
    It happens on both, tried hooking up to a tv and same situation where menus are colour but input is b&w.

Sounds like the Color some portion of the flag (Pin 4) isn't making it into the machine. It could be as minor as a touch of erosion or as major as a broken follow or fizzled segment on a circuit board. Take a stab at showering some contact cleaner into the s-video jack and see what occurs.
    Tried contact cleaner with no luck unfortunately. I might take it to an engineer I know who could probably prod it and probe it a bit to see if he can put it down to a hardware issue, seller is claiming ignorance about the issue at the moment so hopefully its a simple fix and rectifiable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd take the TCB out of the chain too...just to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello

Did you manage to fix the issue? I have the exact same problem with a Panasonic DMR-ES10. No colour on any of the S-Video inputs. The menu has colour, and so does the composite input.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Most likely a mechanical issue since the jacks take repeated beatings. I would open it up and look for a broken circuit trace.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Its not a hardware issue it is a software issue of the dmr es 15. It has composite/svideo signal (on the scart or svideo ) and rgb signal. Its switchable in the menu of the recorder and in your case is probably put to rgb mode, trough s video (European model has Scart (RGB/Svideo/Composite) cable its not caring any colors, that's why its in black and white and the menus are in color
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey actually I bought another unit to do the job while this one was on the shelf, but it turned out it was a faulty chip feeding the s-video feed into the unit in my case. You might want to check the settings first though as mentioned as the unit does have a few hidden submenus which could cause you problems with colour outputs and also check your cable is definitely carrying both signal and colour correctly but if those are correct then its likely that its the chip so you'd need to open up the unit and get the replacement chip.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ah. Yea I've already looked through the settings and checked the cables. So it may be the chip that is bad then, will have to look at the underside of the board where it sits. There are two bulging caps in the power supply which I was was planning to replace, though it seems unlikely that those would cause this very specific error.
    Quote Quote