VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I am new here as a registered user but I visit the site frequently in search of useful information.
    i'm not a profesional in the technical aspects of codecs.

I'm in the process of capturing old VHS by using a standard VCR that does not have a TBC. I can not buy a VCR or a TBC at the moment either.
    I tried to capture with Usb 710 pinnacle.
    I'm looking for a way to capture without (out of sync problems between audio and video).
    I have noticed that when I capture in mpeg2 there are no sync problems. But I would like to capture in logarith so I can edit, deinterlace and then convert to mp4 with 60 fps in handbrake.
    This are my doubts:
    why when capturing in mpeg2 there are no sync problems ?
    Is it possible that buying a videoupscaler achieves the desired synchronism in the capture at much lower cost?
    I would clearly like to capture in a format that allows me to edit with very little loss, but for now I can't find anoother way to capture without the sync issue.
    I have a panasonic NV-GS75, i'm trying the passthrough method to capture in DV the VHS signal to see the results but i'm not sure if this cam can do it. For now i can't finda solid info about that.

Please let me know what would be the path that would follow to get the best result in a final mp4. Keep in mind they are 14 tapes vhs ntsc.
    Thank you for your time and for the depth of the answers in this forum.
    Last edited by Madero; 7th Oct 2018 at 19:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In your case you should concentrate on the DV "pathway" by means of an DV camcorder passthrough or a DV box, like a Canopus ADVC100/110/300
    but only if your compture has a firewire connection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Eric-jan, for your advice.
    I take that as my last option, I'm not resigned to capture in a lossy format, but I must find alternative hardware such as a dvdr for the passthough and maybe have a bit of luck.
    The most part of video is looking goog but the AV out of sync is the worst part of the problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In your original post you said you have no money for new hardware..... so that's why...
    Pro's capture/film with a lossy codec... ProRes422.... you should not shy away from that, ProRes is a edit codec special for that, (VHS is low resolution)
    Your source, (vcr) is also important, all hardware is ! if you have not fast enough storage, you run also in trouble, computer and OS are also important, USB was not made for video, it was made suitable for it, and doesn't do a good job.
    When you are capturing in Mpeg, the data rate to your storage is lower then when you are capturing uncompressed, when you are capturing uncompressed, data can't be fast "dumped" on your storage drive, i'm capturing with ProRes422LT which has no visual loss, no black or dropped frames, and no audio sync issues.
    DV is not a good way to record&transfer, to make things better, you should start searching for a vcr with a build-in TBC, you can skip DV "transfers" that way, or a DVD recorder as passthrough, will do also good job, capturing compressed will also help if your PC/storage is not fast enough.
    A scaler is meant for changing resolutions and frame rates, i/p modes, in real time, not to solve sync issues, most cheap scalers just don't work in capture setups, most work with RGB not YUV, YUV is what you need.
    Most capture devices can't capture in 60fps, so converting to that makes also no sense.

btw. DV is a recording format, video is stored digital compressed on tape and this data is transfered by firewire to your pc, or DV can be a device that streams your video through firewire to your pc, it's lossy, but you should for yourselve if it's acceptable.

ProRes will do nothing with any of the artifacts you captured, MP4/h264 compression will make the artifacts fuzzy, or any detailed pattern will go fuzzy too, this will generate unwanted effects, better have no artifacts in the capture to start with.

Handbrake will mess up your video format size, it will keep the correct aspect ratio though, better use your video editor to have more control, in that last step of your post work.

Looks like i answered most of your questions now, you just should try/test "things" and judge for your self if it satisfies you.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 18th Oct 2018 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote