VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if you have $15,000 and the space for an 85" screen! https://www.avsforum.com/samsung-8k-q900r-qled-tv-ships-october-28/

What a strange time we live in, when the hardware is far ahead of content.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got the space but 75" would be the limit in terms of architecture and room balance - probably update my Samsung 65" later this year. What I would really like is a 75" 4k monitor, no smarts, no tuner or sound. I have all the rest in my Beyonwiz PVR (4 tuners) and Popcorn A-500 media player plus my collection of DVD's and Blu ray on the NAS. I really think there is a market for a dumb but high quality monitor at TV prices.... certainly in Australia as we seem to be very early uptakers of new technology. All the CRT's are well and truly landfill down here...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. 8K adaptation is limited mostly by display technology - or some company will create cheap technology for large format printable OLED.
    Why OLED ? - it is hard to me imagine any other than OLED technology where display can be printed on relatively cheap and flexible substrate (imagine wallpaper being able to display 8K).

Why wallpaper ? - reasonable screen size to utilize 8K should be over 100 inch (around 125 - 150 at least) - alternatively to OLED i can imagine beamers however IMHO only laser beamers can deliver required brightness, contrast and resolution with sane power consumption - decent 4K laser beamer cost around 10k $ and high end consumer is around 25k $ - i do not expect 8K to be significantly cheaper (in large scale) due serious amount of effort desired to create decent optics for 4K/8K laser beamer.

8K also mean different approach to watching TV (screen such size assume full immersion - no more borders without signal - picture is bigger than normal view area).

btw i saw few times 8K live and i truly believe that this is future consumer standard and since moment i've saw 8K i consider 4K as intermediate format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FullHD is enough quality, for every day use.... You need high end equipment to even work with 4K and in the mean time most hardware is getting cheaper, because "something new" came out.. i guess BlackMagic Raw will be a game changer...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't even give a shit about Blu ray.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I don't even give a shit about Blu ray.
    I agree re: the physical medium. But anything lower res I've moved on to greener 1080p/2160p pastures. I have a huge DVD collection I need to do something about heh. It's a pity, I liked DVD a lot & invested a lot of time & learning let alone money into it.

8K seems (as already mentioned here) way overkill for domestic home, better for large commercial displays or something maybe.

But yes we are in a medium-less world, everything streaming & digital etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But, but, they said 720p was good enough!

Actually the timing is great for me. I was thinking of upgrading my beloved plasma, but found out that OLEDs suffer image retention* also. Hopefully in a few more years between 8K and improvements in TV tech, 4K or better will be affordable and OLEDs or their successor image retention free.

*Image retention on my plasma is huge issue because my primary non-movie viewing are Asian series which have some large and bright logos that remain after just an hour of viewing and takes 8-10 hours to remove even running color slides. I have to which these series on a secondary smaller LCD which I have set up strictly for this viewing these series.
    Last edited by lingyi; 18th Oct 2018 at 00:13.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    But, but, they said 720p was good enough!

Actually the timing is great for me. I was thinking of upgrading my beloved plasma, but found out that OLEDs suffer image retention* also. Hopefully in a few more years between 8K and improvements in TV tech, 4K or better will be affordable and OLEDs or their successor image retention free.

*Image retention on my plasma is huge issue because my primary non-movie viewing are Asian series which have some large and bright logos that remain after just an hour of viewing and takes 8-10 hours to remove even running color slides. I have to which these series on a secondary smaller LCD which I have set up strictly for this viewing these series.
    It is likely that OLED won't always be the only choice available for emissive displays. There has been some progress in the development of emissive quantum dot technology for UHD panels. See https://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/your-guide-to-televisions-qu...ntumdot-future If that article is correct, some type of photo-emissive quantum dot displays may arrive within the next two years and in a few more years, electro-emissive quantum dot displays may be released.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Well, if you have $15,000 and the space for an 85" screen! https://www.avsforum.com/samsung-8k-q900r-qled-tv-ships-october-28/

What a strange time we live in, when the hardware is far ahead of content.
    And you have the extra $50/mo for "streaming" 8K content without being capped by American ISPs (thanks Comcast and AT&T)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Anybody who can plunk down $15k for a TV can easily afford an extra 50 a month for enhanced service.

But 8k clearly isn't going to fly with end consumers. We won't for the foreseeable future have room for 100" pieces of wall furniture (and accompanying viewing space) in most households.Without big demand there won't be economy of scale, without that the ticket price will stay high much longer, and the greedy corporations have SHORT interest attention spans.
    If it works well at all it will be in retail/commercial space possibly as digital signage. However, I think the LightScene laser projectors, which can map easily to all kinds of non-rectangular surfaces, will take off more.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Anybody who can plunk down $15k for a TV can easily afford an extra 50 a month for enhanced service
    Scott
    Data caps shouldn't even exist at all. It's not "enhanced service", it's how the service was and should have been in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes and I want free healthy organic food or dirty cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not know how in America. But in Switzerland there are already 8K devices from Toshiba and believe Samsung. I just do not understand why upgrade. At UHD I first noticed a difference in 65 inch plus devices. But the biggest problem I see in the price and demand, and thus the connected content. Where can I watch or receive 8K? Even the UHD content where it is available, is too little... And a lot of fake.

And there are a lot of FAKE 4K movies already on UHD movies for buy. For example Resident Evil does not know which part. War 2K Filmed and 4K Upscaled, for UHD Release. And you can not improve that Native. So if I have one. Funny enough many old movies really Native UHD. And many modern not.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It's not just a matter of size, it's a matter of size vs. viewing distance. To tell the difference between 4K and 8K the viewing distance needs to be about half the diagonal measure of the screen. That means you need to be sitting about 3 feet away from a 65 inch screen. For a typical 8 foot livging room viewing distance you'll need a 200 inch TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    it would be nice to have some subjective test from ppl with some eyes disability. Different dioptry or some color sensitivity. I bet i cant see any difference on ordinary monitors watchnig from few inches. In fact i have backgroun on my desktop that has 3 contrast colors, not antialiased. An i can see pixel resolution. So colors are somehow related to resolution as well. What will look better 4k 12bit or 8k 8bit? Also size matter. 8k is great improvement but dont think for ordinary movies. Probably for comparison frames or for some sharp eyed videophiles. Check cameras that are using to make Hollywood movies and their resolutions.
    For example Tomb rider (2018) And its intention is play it in cinemas not sure how silverscreen size can be and distance of watching it. But realy doubt anybody will complain about pixelation here. (not mentioned raw color and bayer system... is good and will have to live with it, but can be better here)

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  16. It is really simple relation, the study was already done, so if someone has much less than 20/20 then those bottom values (screen size) could be increased etc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. you dont even need 4k
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sez you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good UHD TVs aren't available below 55 inches, which is too large for me. To be honest I'd settle for a smaller 1080p TV that fits my living space if it had a display that still provides a wide color gamut (DCI-P3 or close to full BT.2020 color space) and HDR.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pandora's Box has been opened and "Resolution Demons" have been released! 8K is a reality, though still a few years off before it becomes mainstream and 16K and beyond are being developed. 8K and beyond may never become mainstream, but it will continue to be developed for those "Golden Eyes" that can perceive the nuances of the additional resolution.

I started this thread with tongue-slightly-in-cheek, yet genuinely interested in what the future brings. Personally, I'm far more interested the continued development and standardization of HDR and beyond, and place that first on my list before resolution for my next purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Good UHD TVs aren't available below 55 inches, which is too large for me. To be honest I'd settle for a smaller 1080p TV that fits my living space if it had a display that still provides a wide color gamut (DCI-P3 or close to full BT.2020 color space) and HDR.
    Curious as to reason size restriction. I'm guessing it's a practical space issue? I fully understand the visual impact a large screen can have on home decor.

I consider myself fortunate (though some would think otherwise) because I live alone and have my couch 6' away from 55" plasma which takes up a good portion of the wall. My next set will be at least 65", (I find my 55" too small) and definitely HDR, and UHD because those two are currently intimately locked together.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm happy with a 46' lcd sony watching 720p and dont care at all about 4k or 8k,that's just people trying to get you to buy more.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Curious as to reason size restriction. I'm guessing it's a practical space issue? I fully understand the visual impact a large screen can have on home decor.
    Yes, it is practical. There isn't enough wall space to mount a large TV (except over a fireplace) because of large windows and a door on the other walls.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've always had size envy. Errr...TV that is!

I was completely happy with my 25" PVM way back when until I saw a 32" in person. When I got my 55", I really wanted the 65", but couldn't justify paying nearing twice as much. My next purchase will be "too big" and hopefully I won't look back...as least for a while!
    Quote Quote  
  25. amazing information that helps people
    Quote Quote  
  26. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Get me a display that displays video without motion artifacts such as ghosting, coronas, blur, PWM artifacts, pixel transition, block transition ....etc. Until then I'm happy with my 4k OLED and its motion artifacts, Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
    Quote Quote