VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab Passkey and copy Blu-ray and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix the streaming giant is found to be contributing about 15 percent in internet downstream traffic around the world as per the study concluded by Sandvine. What is your take on this?
    Source: https://www.ivacy.com/blog/netflix-internet-downstream-traffic/
    Quote Quote  
  2. It pays to have foresight and start early.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My take is it would be even greater than that if the greedy US ISPs didn't impose monthly bandwidth limits and then make you pay through the nose when you exceeded them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting for marketing purposes (BTW, the report states in the U.S., it's 19.1%), but I'm more interested in what percentage of available ISP speed and how many mega/terabytes of streaming content it accounts for.

For example, if the average ISP speed is say 25mb/s, what percentage of that is used by Netflix, YouTube, etc. And how much actual mega/terabytes of data does that use. These figures would be more valuable for the actual end user to determine whether their ISP is providing enough speed and download capability (Down with download caps!). Allowing consumers to counter the typical ISP excuse for caps: "X% of users download X number of megabytes of data and therefore our caps are reasonable".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix uses around 3-5Mbit for 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My guess is those numbers are skewed as it probably doesn't take into account the fact that Netflix (as is also with other giant providers) uses edge servers and makes full use of Multicast.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    My guess is those numbers are skewed as it probably doesn't take into account the fact that Netflix (as is also with other giant providers) uses edge servers and makes full use of Multicast.
    How would a video-on-demand service make use of multicast? Multicast is for "classic", linear TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    How would a video-on-demand service make use of multicast? Multicast is for "classic", linear TV.
    He may mean "anycast".
    But the "multicast" term also isn't dedicated to just TV usage.
    Quote Quote