VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    since it is close to LCD i post it here
    Looking glass
    It is great step of course, but I doubt about useability. We will have to wait till 360 degree display will come, and it can be very useful. This seems to me be problematic. But probably nice add to ordinary monitor.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If I read their site correctly, they use 45 different views to achieve the 3D affect. About $500 US for the startup version. Still, interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. From CNET:

Second, they're relatively low resolution. The 8.9-inch display is 4 megapixels and the 15.6-inch is 8MP. That sounds like a lot -- it's the number of pixels in a 4K display, after all. But remember, that's divided into 45 separate views. And if it's on your desk, you're sitting pretty close to it, so you really can see the low pixel pitch, which means you probably won't be able to see details very well
    https://www.cnet.com/reviews/looking-glass-preview/

I don't know if this is the right way to calculate it but...

Code:
    4,000,000 / 45 = 89,000
    That's in the ballpark of 320x240. There's a reason why their web site doesn't show the resolution prominently!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, if suposing 120 degree from left to right and same with top and down, 45 pictures isn't much. There is bigger version for 2,500 USD but supposing same numbers of viewing = 45. In the video everything looks great, but useability is almost zero. There is picture, where modeling on standart monitor and check how it looks on this small thing. Only way it can somehow help. More natural is to simply rotated in on 2d monitor. You can see it from behind, and from every angle.
    My math probably wrong. say just left right and top bottom axis exist. So 20 for left to right = 6 degrees skip. Do not calculate view from out of axis. And out of axis point are much much more.

I posted it as something new, but title itself suggesting that I'm sceptic about it. Probably good start of something better.

Bernix
    Quote Quote