VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I currently own a Mac Book Pro, my wife loves to make videos but wants to be able to make full length home movies and vacation movies and put them on a USB that we can then plug into any TV and watch. Unfortunately when we try we get error messages and Apple Gienus bar told us we have to keep them under 5 minutes because “no one makes full movies anymore”

Can anyone help me out here. I want to get Vegas Pro or Final Cut Pro X but don’t want to waste my money for 3 minute clips of my vacation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    read about apple genius bar and wouldn't never ask them.
    Post mediainfo of your file, error messages you got and probably someone will helps you. Problem is what format of video TV support, what camera format or cell phone is recording. Mediainfo will tell you exactly details about your videofile, and manual to your TV should tell you what Format (containers and codecs) are supported.

Genius bar are never wrong, even if your computer is on fire, it is not hot, is warm have to laugh.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lol, ok I’ll try and put another movie on my USB but I’m fairly sure it told me the file was to large, which I now see is because it’s Fat32. I’m really trying to not have to use a DVD but it seems like I might have to go back to them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If Tv supports MKV you can easy split big files into 2 or several smaller files. Mkvtoolnix for example. But it depends on your TV and also codec. Supposing DVD - Mpeg2?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your TV may well recognise USB drives formatted in either NTFS or exFAT etc. Neither of these have the limitations on file size that Fat32 does. I'd try formatting a USB stick as NTFS and try your video file on that. I see you're using a Mac so I think I'm right in thinking that although NTFS isn't the preferred format for Macs, it should be supported by the Mac?

As Bernix has already said, you basically need to find out what file systems your TV will accept on a USB memory stick and what spec of video files it will play from said USB stick. (Also if there are any special considerations like max bitrate, audio codecs etc.)

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
    Last edited by TimA-C; 2nd Oct 2018 at 14:23. Reason: Possible early onset senility . . . or just being a forgetful old fart?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MagicDrop, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic. Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MagicDrop View Post
    … put them on a USB that we can then plug into any TV and watch.
    Just “any TV” is going to be a problem, because all TVs are different, and the playback from USB isn’t standardized in any formal way.
    If you are lucky, then MP4 is supported, with H.264 video and AAC audio. If you are lucky, up to HD (1920×1080) resolution.
    If you are lucky, then FAT32 file system is supported. Nah, actually the most likely. FAT32 limits the file size to 2 or 4 GB max, depending on formatting options. The TV may have lower limits. I don’t think you will hit the file size limit, but if you do, then you could e.g. split it in two, part A and part B.
    Last edited by Case; 3rd Oct 2018 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ultimately, the answer to these types of questions is always, get a standalone media player for ~$50 that will highly likely play your videos just as they are.

As stated above, your TV's built-in player is very limited in what type of videos it supports. You'll be spending precious time configuring your video to meet it's limitations as well as reducing the quality by reencoding. Even worse is converting it to play on your DVD player which is limited to 480p SD quality.
    Last edited by lingyi; 4th Oct 2018 at 11:59. Reason: Correct 720p to 480p for DVD
    Quote Quote