VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm currently using Final Cut Pro 7. Yes I know it's ancient. Anyways, I have been using Final Cut to clean up video that was originally transferred from 2" tape (did I say ancient?). Some of the video is very glitchy - specifically lots of video drop out. Final Cut has the de-interlace tool which can clean up the video drop out, but you have to do it frame by frame. Is there something in Final Cut that can de-interlace the entire sequence without having to do it frame by frame? Or is there a software out there that can do it? Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. De-interlace and cleaning up video dropouts have nothing to do with each other.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    De-interlace and cleaning up video dropouts have nothing to do with each other.
    I'm not a computer guy, so I'm probably using the wrong terminology. So let me try to explain what I'm talking about. A glitch (which I referred to as dropout) occurs in one of the fields of a frame, and de-interlacing removes the field that glitched.

Now, if the video glitches every 10th frame and I'm working on a 30 minute clip, it will take me forever and a day to fix this clip. So my original question was, is there some kind of software out there that you can apply to the entire clip instead of doing it frame by frame?

By the way, the format I'm using is NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Provide a short clip to the forum showing the problem then some relevant suggestions may be forthcoming ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dropouts usually happen on one field. However, deinterlacing is the the way to get rid of them. Instead, you separate the video into its fields; you then apply a dropout corrector like Despot to replace the white or black blip with video from adjacent pixels; and then you weave the corrected video with the other field to re-create the original interlaced video.

Deinterlacing does not make a video better and should be avoided unless you are re-sizing (which requires that video be first de-interlaced) or unless you have a specific reason to deliver progressive video.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 3rd Oct 2018 at 10:38. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Dropouts usually happen on one field. However, deinterlacing is the the way to get rid of them. Instead, you separate the video into its fields; you then apply a dropout corrector like Despot to replace the white or black blip with video from adjacent pixels; and then you weave the corrected video with the other field to re-create the original interlaced video.

Deinterlacing does not make a video better and should be avoided unless you are re-sizing (which requires that video be first de-interlaced) or unless you have a specific reason to deliver progressive video.
    Okay..I'll look into Despot. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote