VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

MakeMKV can rip DVD and Blu-ray discs content.

My questions:

1) MakeMKV can handle with the most recent / current updates from DVD's and Blu-ray discs out there?

2) MakeMKV, concerning decryting "abilities", is "similar" to AnyDVD HD, DVDFab or DVDFab Passkey? They work differently, I know. But I'm talking about only decrypting
    capacity. I mean: many discs that AnyDVD HD or DVDFab can handle MakeMKV can do it also? Or AnyDVD HD / DVDFab can handle with more discs than MakeMKV?

3) Once I buy the license from MakeMKV's developer I can update the program for how long? AnyDVD HD is sold for 1, 2, 3 years or lifetime licenses.
    MakeMKV is the same? Or I buy it only once and can have a lifetime updates? Or at least as exist the program and their site?

4) When I use MakeMKV to decrypt a movie DVD disc fully, with all content on it, at the final I get a set of MKV files. Such MKV files store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters, yes? Concerning about subtitles how can I rip such content after the ripping a dvd using MakeMKV? Which programs do I need to OCR subtitles into MKV files? Including "normal" subtitles and Closed Captions too. Such information are inside the MKV's created by MakeMKV? How to OCR / recover them after the ripping?

5) If I need to reinstall my operating system or change my PC, how to proceed with MakeMKV and it's use according to my personal license? Of course I'm talking about only 1 license for 1 PC/device only. Not using it in several devices.

Thanks for your tips.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hello, dear all.

MakeMKV can rip DVD and Blu-ray discs content.

My questions:

1) MakeMKV can handle with the most recent / current updates from DVD's and Blu-ray discs out there?
    MakeMKV has to be updated to handle some of the new releases, just as any of the other programs you've listed do. It may be a few months (and updates) before the newest protection is defeated.

2) MakeMKV, concerning decryting "abilities", is "similar" to AnyDVD HD, DVDFab or DVDFab Passkey? They work differently, I know. But I'm talking about only decrypting capacity. I mean: many discs that AnyDVD HD or DVDFab can handle MakeMKV can do it also? Or AnyDVD HD / DVDFab can handle with more discs than MakeMKV?
    Since MakeMKV is free while it's in Beta (which it's been for years), it may lag behind other paid programs as far as working with the newest protections. I've never heard of any protection that MakeMKV couldn't eventually defeat.

3) Once I buy the license from MakeMKV's developer I can update the program for how long? AnyDVD HD is sold for 1, 2, 3 years or lifetime licenses.
    MakeMKV is the same? Or I buy it only once and can have a lifetime updates? Or at least as exist the program and their site?
    The Beta versions of MakeMKV (i.e. all versions to date) are free and the license expires after 60 days and a newer version must be downloaded. The licensed version doesn't have this time limitation (i.e. your current version will never expire) and registration license currently never expires. In essence, as long as MakeMKV is in Beta, there's no need to buy it, though it's nice way of thanking the developers for their great work.

4) When I use MakeMKV to decrypt a movie DVD disc fully, with all content on it, at the final I get a set of MKV files. Such MKV files store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters, yes? Concerning about subtitles how can I rip such content after the ripping a dvd using MakeMKV? Which programs do I need to OCR subtitles into MKV files? Including "normal" subtitles and Closed Captions too. Such information are inside the MKV's created by MakeMKV? How to OCR / recover them after the ripping?
    Someone else will have to answer this since I just wait until the subs are available online.

5) If I need to reinstall my operating system or change my PC, how to proceed with MakeMKV and it's use according to my personal license? Of course I'm talking about only 1 license for 1 PC/device only. Not using it in several devices.
    When you buy MakeMKV you're given a unique registration code via email. When I upgraded my PC last year, I just entered the code and it was instantly recognized and registered.

Thanks for your tips.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Edit: One last point. While it's not required to register MakeMKV to use it, it's not only a great gesture to pay and register, but it helps to keep the project going financially, showing that we truly value and reward the great work done!
    Last edited by lingyi; 30th Sep 2018 at 19:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 4) Subtitle Edit can import subtitles from MKV

[Attachment 46798 - Click to enlarge]

Else you use MKVCleaver, gMKVExtractGUI or MKVExtractGUI-2 to extract the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have used MakeMKV for years and have a paid license. Once you have the MKV file of say the main movie you can use MKVCleaver to extract the subs if you need to and then use say Subtitle Edit to OCR the subs to SRT format if that is what you need. My media player quite happily shows subs within the MKV file along with recognising all the languages present. If you don't need everything you can use MKVToolNix to remux the file leaving out what you don't want. Takes a few minutes and doesn't involved re-encoding. Or in MakeMKV if you know what you don't want then untick them.... the best approach I have found when I don't know about a program is I try it out and find out for myself by checking out all the menu options to see what they do....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I wasn't quite clear. When you use "import subtitle from Matroska" in Subtitle Edit and the subtitle format is idx/vobsub or PGS the OCR starts. No need to extract.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello, dear all.

Thanks for all information. I'm testing the program to see how it works and if it fits my needs also.

I thought MKV files created by MakeMKV were similar in "structure" like vobs ( from dvd's ), Blu-rays or even ratDVD files, with all the options like the priginal discs, like menus, extras, etc.

MakeMKV process all of them if I want, but each one as a single file.

If I need to "compress" such big MKV file created by MakeMKV to fit into a DVD-5 ( 4,7 GB ) or DVD-9 ( 8,5 GB ) which programs do you recommend?

I want to keep all the subtitles in the "new" MKV compressed.

I wasn't quite clear. When you use "import subtitle from Matroska" in Subtitle Edit and the subtitle format is idx/vobsub or PGS the OCR starts. No need to extract.
    If I need to OCR a subtitle that was not my language can I use Tessaract engine from Subtitle Edit and the respective language dictionary to make the OCR easier or more accurate?

And if the DVD or Blu-Ray disc has Closed Caption on it, instead of "normal" subtitles, MakeMKV can process such kind of material? Or in such case during the convertion into MKV the Closed Captions are lost?

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 1st Oct 2018 at 17:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Only thing about makemkv subtitles is if the video only has CC in the video stream (star trek etc) those won't be transferred. Its a known bug the author us working on. Other than that it is my goto as it also works in Linux. Been using since 2009 and bought a key as a way of showing my graditude as no other viable option works in Linux
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  8. If I need to OCR a subtitle that was not my language can I use Tessaract engine from Subtitle Edit and the respective language dictionary to make the OCR easier or more accurate?
    Yes. You should always use Tesseract data/Dictionary corresponding to the language of the subtitles (If they are not present use the three dots to download them)

[Attachment 46807 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote