VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been shooting phone videos of bands at a nightclub that has very intense LED Stage lighting, causing the faces of the members to be blown out completely white in some cases, I have tried using Exposure compensation within the camera app. and it does help some, but it also severely darkens the whole scene! Any suggestions as to what might help with this problem? ...I am thinking about trying a clip on polarizing Filter next, as they are known for helping with glare, but I'm not sure if it will help with this issue! Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to lower the exposure no matter what if you want to avoid white clipping. You can try using a lower ISO for better dynamic range, as all sensors have better dynamic range at lower ISOs. The better option would be to move onto a DSLR or Cinema camera, which both have much larger sensors with better dynamic range baked in. Cellphone video/photos have similiar quality to DSLRs of the mid2000s and before, so anything other than perfect conditions are going to suffer on a Cellphone.

A polarizer might help in your situation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If you are making serious video, you may ultimately have to add fill light on the nights you shoot.
    Quote Quote