VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab Passkey and copy Blu-ray and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,

I've been searching and I cant find the EXACT answer. I have a bunch of movies done in HEVC/x265 but, they have HDR. So when I watch them, there is almost no color in the video. I do not have a HDR display but, plan on getting one in a year or 2.

So, how can I convert these movies to Non-HDR and is it possible to export the HDR settings for the video so at a later point, I can import them in so they are just like they are now ?

The Goal is to view the movie in 4K with really nice color (losing as little as POSSABLE) on a 4K monitor but, leave myself the possibility to re-add the HDR to the video file.

If there is, what would be the best way to go about this for the best results ? Again, I don't want to lose any quality if possible (accept HDR data) from the video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So when I watch them, there is almost no color in the video. I do not have a HDR display but, plan on getting one in a year or 2.
    That's because the HDR data doesn't get converted to SDR during playback, but is simply ignored.

So, how can I convert these movies to Non-HDR and is it possible to export the HDR settings for the video so at a later point, I can import them in so they are just like they are now ?
    The player you currently use already does what you want it ignores the HDR data and plays the content as if they weren't there.
    So, why would you want to drop the HDR data if you don't use it ?
    What you ask for: Split Video in SDR and HDR content, save them separate and later reunite them later isn't possible with current software as far as I'm aware of.

In my opinion, the best way would be to:
    a. keep the HDR file
    b. use a player like MPC-HC which converts HDR to SDR on the fly
    downside: requires more power during playback.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote