VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.
    Can I change the Framerate of my videos when I convert them? Doesn't it make the picture and sound of my video mismatch???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by MBlueSky View Post
    Hi.
    Can I change the Framerate of my videos when I convert them? Doesn't it make the picture and sound of my video mismatch???

why do you want to change the frame rate ?

It depends on which method you are using to change the frame rate. If you add/delete frames it can keep sync

e.g. 30.0 FPS . You change it to 60.0FPS by adding duplicates or blends every 2nd frame. The running time will be identical and in sync (2x the framerate, but 2x the number of frames, so it's in sync)

Each method has various pros/cons
    Quote Quote  
  3. Avoid frame rate conversions - it is the root of evil
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, I don't really mean to hijack the thread, but since it is a similar topic and a simple question:

I have a video that shows the following in mediainfo:

Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 24.180 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 11.988 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 119.880 FPS
    Original frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS

I was wondering how am I able to get the original constant frame rate of 29.970 FPS back? When using avisynth, would using "fpsden=30000, fpsnum=1001" in the source filter do the trick?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by attackworld View Post
    Hi, I don't really mean to hijack the thread, but since it is a similar topic and a simple question:

I have a video that shows the following in mediainfo:

Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 24.180 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 11.988 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 119.880 FPS
    Original frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS

I was wondering how am I able to get the original constant frame rate of 29.970 FPS back? When using avisynth, would using "fpsden=30000, fpsnum=1001" in the source filter do the trick?
    Yes, but in a bad way, with six little jerks every second. Video is rarely really 29.97 fps. Your video is most likely film sourced and should be 24 fps or 23.976 fps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Is it just coincidence that min and max framerate there is difference just in decimal point? Seems to me bit weird, but not using VFR so probably it is normal.

Edit: it is just header, who knows if it is really VFR or Constant frame rate. Don't think there is in real life video recorded and converted any usage of VFR. Except security cameras or similar.
    O.k. it is good for compostition of videos with different frame rates, for example 25 and 60 and 30000/1001, and this is only think I can imagine to be useful, but min and max, seems to me be made up. Why the Framerate should be bigger than highest frame rate? If recording with camera that is able to record at 60 fps, I believe i got max also higher than 60 and it seems to me be nonsense.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 1st Oct 2018 at 07:46. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, but in a bad way, with six little jerks every second. Video is rarely really 29.97 fps. Your video is most likely film sourced and should be 24 fps or 23.976 fps.

Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    Is it just coincidence that min and max framerate there is difference just in decimal point? Seems to me bit weird, but not using VFR so probably it is normal.

Edit: it is just header, who knows if it is really VFR or Constant frame rate. Don't think there is in real life video recorded and converted any usage of VFR. Except security cameras or similar.
    O.k. it is good for compostition of videos with different frame rates, for example 25 and 60 and 30000/1001, and this is only think I can imagine to be useful, but min and max, seems to me be made up. Why the Framerate should be bigger than highest frame rate? If recording with camera that is able to record at 60 fps, I believe i got max also higher than 60 and it seems to me be nonsense.

Bernix
    Thanks for the replies! FYI, the original video was animation that is most likely 23.976 FPS hard telecined to 29.970 FPS. The video I have was downloaded online and re-encoded by the group releasing it, thus the weird frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    in fact Variable frame rate is evil. Pure evil. Cause lot of troubles. If you have source at same framerate, codec itself take care of duplicated frames so next frame cost almost 0 bits. Nothing but trouble. Therefore I hate Handbrake and his fellow Vidcoder, because they have VFR default. And purely encoding not editing software. Yes editing, you can if it can be called editing.

Bernix
    Quote Quote