VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 player. I made a series of home movies that started out as .mts which I exported as .mp4 from the movie maker, and they all burned successfully to Memorex and Staples disks that would play just fine on the player. Some were on DVD R+, others on R-, and both played just fine.
    I then made a dvd from .jpg stills that had transitions, and burned it the same way. It also played just fine.
    Now, when I try to make a dvd with .jpg, with or without transitions, the burned disks won't play on the player, nor on a Magnavox player, but will play fine on 2 different computers, and will play to the TV screen from a computer.
    Some of them have come out with CDFS format, but the recent ones are UDF format, and neither plays.
    When I put them in the players, I get messages like "Can't Read," or "Incompatible," and in one case I got "No disk inserted."
    The Panasonic manual says that PAL disks may not play. I had one series of clips that I clipped from a PAL video, but it wouldn't play even when reformatted to NTSC, and the other stills on different disks are just shot with my still camera, so shouldn't be PAL.
    I'd really like to get a successful burn, but I've about at my wits end, and have tried everything I can think of.
    Another test I just made: downloaded an .mts movie, exported to .mp4 and burned using the Windows burner. Computer Management recognizes it as .udf, but the Panasonic player says "no disk inserted," and the Magnavox says "disk error," which makes it sound like the burner isn't working. But, if that were the case, the dvds wouldn't play on the computer, either, but they do, on Windows Media Player. Does the UDF burning work only with WMP?
    I then tried to burn the same file using the Power2Go burner, and it didn't burn at all. Not sure why windows would burn it, but P2G not.
    Anyone out there have anything else I might try?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So you are burning DVD discs with (just) data on them?
    No DVD or Blu Ray player can play every type of file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are two issues here the file format i.e mp4 and the disk format UDF

Mp4 is not a format but a container that can include a variety of file types for both audio and video. So you must check your player manual to see which type it supports and if you really want data disks as mp4 then ensure you stick to that.

For the disk format, AFAIK ISO 9660 supercedes UDF as latter versions of that were player incompatable. To more or less guarantee playback to not use movie maker (assuming you did) but burn the files to disk with imgburn. There are various options whether data or more standard dvd-video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see here on page 39 on some of the file formats this player will play - http://rus.panasonic.ru/upload/iblock/b2d/dmp-bdt310_dmp-bdt210.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have had similar problems. DVDS burnt on 6x dvd-rw no problem, but burnt on 8x dvd+rw is a hit or miss when trying to play on my home Samsung Blu-ray player
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In addition to everything stated above, switch to Verbatim AZO* or Taiyo Yuden. There are NO other quality DVDs available today, Memorex and Staples may switch suppliers at any time, so the batch you have today may be different from ones you buy tomorrow. This may not be the issue right now, but the poor quality of the disc means you have a poor burn that will likely cause issues in the future.

*For Verbatim AZO, be sure to look at the packaging: Orange = DVD-R or Purple = DVD+R and the AZO logo somewhere on the label. Beware of the Life Series: white packaging which is generic discs from unknown suppliers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    In addition to everything stated above, switch to Verbatim AZO* or Taiyo Yuden. There are NO other quality DVDs available today, Memorex and Staples may switch suppliers at any time, so the batch you have today may be different from ones you buy tomorrow. This may not be the issue right now, but the poor quality of the disc means you have a poor burn that will likely cause issues in the future.

*For Verbatim AZO, be sure to look at the packaging: Orange = DVD-R or Purple = DVD+R and the AZO logo somewhere on the label. Beware of the Life Series: white packaging which is generic discs from unknown suppliers.
    The "Life Series" discs now come in the same color shrink-wrap packaging as the Verbatim AZO discs. To tell them apart, buyers need to look for "Life Series" or "AZO" on the label.

Verbatim AZO is hard to find in brick-and-mortar stores but can be found online. I also buy discs from Verbatim's DataLifePlus product line online, which use AZO dye too. Verbatim's DataLifePlus products have a plain white rectangular label on the cake box, that says "Verbatim DataLifePlus".
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Oct 2018 at 17:04.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing.

I would NEVER burn a disk at the maximum rated speed. So for an 8x disk I would restrict the burn to 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post

The "Life Series" discs now come in the same color shrink-wrap packaging as the Verbatim AZO discs. To tell them apart, buyers need to look for "Life Series" or "AZO" on the label.

Verbatim AZO is hard to find in brick-and-mortar stores but can be found online. I also buy discs from Verbatim's DataLifePlus product line online, which use AZO dye too. Verbatim's DataLifePlus products have a plain white rectangular label on the cake box, that says "Verbatim DataLifePlus".
    Thank you for the update. I thought I heard about the change in packaging for the Life Series, but wasn't sure. I've also heard that the AZO logo is smaller and harder to locate than it used to be.
    Quote Quote