Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 36.1 MiB (1%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2013-10-15 18:24:50
    Tagged date : UTC 2013-10-15 18:30:21

Since i have 100 percent of my collection which consists of bluray songs ripped in passthru M2TS mode(using DVD-FAB 10) from physical blu-rays , i want to convert this .mov file listed above to m2ts mode too without compressing its high(n beautiful!!) audio n video bitrate. Can some expert guide me in "noob mode "spoon-feed steps how to achieve this ? Or is there a converter already available which is capable of such conversion ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The MPEG-2 TransportStream container will not support Apple ProRes video streams. You will need to convert it to a supported video format, and all supported video formats are lossy. You will lose quality. You can only hope that you lose so little, you may not notice any loss. To be Blu-ray compatible, this will have to be MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video with some constraints (I would suggest x264 interlaced with VBV-restricted CRF 12), I guess the audio you may keep as LPCM (but I am not sure, need to read the specs). No spoon feeding right now, sorry...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    The MPEG-2 TransportStream container will not support Apple ProRes video streams. You will need to convert it to a supported video format, and all supported video formats are lossy. You will lose quality. You can only hope that you lose so little, you may not notice any loss. To be Blu-ray compatible, this will have to be MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video with some constraints (I would suggest x264 interlaced with VBV-restricted CRF 12), I guess the audio you may keep as LPCM (but I am not sure, need to read the specs). No spoon feeding right now, sorry...
    Thanks @LigH.de for your guidance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thinking about it again ... "Lossless AVC" (x264: --qp 0) might be supported too. But that will not be Blu-ray compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    MPEG, h.264 and VC-1 are valid for BluRay, along with LPCM and Dolby AC3 audio. The basic requirements list is at https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech while GOP sizes, bitrates, and other encoding requirements and restrictions are at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533. Or you can always read thru the official BD specs if you can stay awake that long.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    MPEG, h.264 and VC-1 are valid for BluRay, along with LPCM and Dolby AC3 audio. The basic requirements list is at https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech while GOP sizes, bitrates, and other encoding requirements and restrictions are at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533. Or you can always read thru the official BD specs if you can stay awake that long.
    Dear guys thanks for ur valuable feedbacks, BUTttttt my requirement is NOT necessarily BD compatibility. It just has to be M2TS with near lossless(sort of crf=0) or if possible lossless in ONLY n ONLY M2ts container. i won't be making a bluray of it. it wud be played using Jriver Media Center only as a file
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    M2TS has requirements and restrictions, too. Why does it have to be M2TS?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    @LMotlow, since the rest of my collection of bluray songs ripped from Bds in m2ts passthru mode are in m2ts only, i want to convert these very few proff resolution .mov files(which i got from net) into m2ts files with quality same as the original .mov files. Otherwise even these .mov files can be played flawlessly in Jriver MC. but i desire to convert them in near losslesss manner to m2ts.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Rajesh Singh View Post
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    @LMotlow, since the rest of my collection of bluray songs ripped from Bds in m2ts passthru mode are in m2ts only, i want to convert these very few proff resolution .mov files(which i got from net) into m2ts files with quality same as the original .mov files. Otherwise even these .mov files can be played flawlessly in Jriver MC. but i desire to convert them in near losslesss manner to m2ts.
    Why convert them at all? If they can play in jriver already...

If you use lossless you will just increase the file size - it will become larger than the orginal mov.

If you use near lossless , low crf, you will still increase the filesize (albeit, slightly less than lossless) and reduce the quality by some amount .

I guess it depends on your eyes or your threshold for "quality loss" . How much quality loss is acceptable ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Rajesh Singh View Post
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Why convert them at all? If they can play in jriver already...

If you use lossless you will just increase the file size - it will become larger than the orginal mov.

If you use near lossless , low crf, you will still increase the filesize (albeit, slightly less than lossless) and reduce the quality by some amount .

I guess it depends on your eyes or your threshold for "quality loss" . How much quality loss is acceptable ?
    @ poisondeathray , if the container cud be just changed in copy mode, i wud be happiest. but since it might not be possible, i am striving for best posssible quality (size does not matter although as we go nearer to crf=0 size increases exponentially compared to original size ). Is there a way out to just copy the video in m2ts container n retain the PCM audio as well? if not plz explain the best posssible way to convert these to m2ts.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Rajesh Singh View Post

@ poisondeathray , if the container cud be just changed in copy mode, i wud be happiest. but since it might not be possible, i am striving for best posssible quality (size does not matter although as we go nearer to crf=0 size increases exponentially compared to original size ). Is there a way out to just copy the video in m2ts container n retain the PCM audio as well? if not plz explain the best posssible way to convert these to m2ts.
    Nope .

It was already mentioned above - prores is not supported in m2ts (or any type of transport stream)

Also transport stream adds about ~6-7% overhead on average. (IF it was supported, you just COPY a stream from MOV or MP4 or MKV or any container into a transport stream and you would expect it to grow that much larger)

Lossless will increase the filesize, but not "exponentially" ; the reason is prores is minimally compressed to begin with. And you can use temporal lossless compression (prores is I=frame only) . Typically you might see 1.5-3x larger filesizes only (the factor is smaller, then if you started with something more lossy compressed)

Best possible option is to leave it. It's already highly compatible in programs like editors, compositing applications. Most software players should play it too. There is no logical reason to do otherwise. It's all "negatives" in your scenario . You're just increasing the filesize and wasting time for nothing

The next most common 10bit422 option , that supports lossless in transport stream , would be AVC (e.g. x264 in 10bit422 mode) , and HEVC is becoming more common too. Interestingly, AVC lossless compression ratio tends to be slightly higher than HEVC in lossless compression mode on most types of material
    Quote Quote