VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.
    When I compress any video with Handbrake, In the result video, when I want to move video forward with mouse it doesn't start exactly from the place where I clicked there! It's weird! I don't have this problem with other standard videos. Do you know what's the reason of this problem ? And how can I solve this ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Key frame interval ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your player is set to "Fast Seek". When you random seek to a point in the video it automatically starts at the nearest key frame. Turn off Fast Seek if you want to seek to exactly where you specify. But it may take several seconds with very long GOPs. Use smaller GOPs if you want more accurate Fast Seeks, or faster accurate seeks. Smaller GOPs will lead to less efficient compression.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    problem can be, that you have set large GOP in Handbrake using demanding codec like H265 and not such powerful PC. If you use same software for playback, there can be different settings in search for different codeck. You click somewhere, program has to go back to key frame (frame that is fully described) and then from this point go, where you exactly pointed your mouse. So xvid is really not demanding and even on slower computer it is realtime. But H.265 with large GOP can take time. So some software players solved it to using search and play from first keyframe which is closer to start of video (from point where you clicked)
    So there are several possibilities.

Edit: Too slow writing response and solving internet issues by phone

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 24th Sep 2018 at 11:27. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Key frame interval ?
    Thanks. I'll check it, But I don't know where should I find this option in the software???!! Can you help me please?
    Quote Quote  
  6. What encoder are you using? With x264 or x265 you can enter e.g "keyint=50" (without quotes) into the "Extra Options" field you find in the "Video" tab.

But I agree with what jagabo said earlier: seeking should be accurate irregardless of keyframe interval. Maybe your player is not set up correctly or bad. Also make sure you are on the latest HandBrake version (you can test the latest nightly version as well)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use smaller GOPs if you want more accurate Fast Seeks, or faster accurate seeks. Smaller GOPs will lead to less efficient compression.
    Thanks for your help. I can't find this option in Handbrake, can you help me please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deleted

Sneaker wrote it already

In potplayer for example is default in Preference/playback time skip checked jump to keyframe. Unchecking it is desired behavior but there is small chance you are using potplayer.
    Last edited by Bernix; 24th Sep 2018 at 11:39. Reason: edit duplicity
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    What encoder are you using? With x264 or x265
    seeking should be accurate irregardless of keyframe interval. Maybe your player is not set up correctly or bad.
    It's x264
    And I don't have this problem whit other videos. It's just with the result videos of handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    deleted

Sneaker wrote it already

In potplayer for example is default in Preference/playback time skip checked jump to keyframe. Unchecking it is desired behavior but there is small chance you are using potplayer.
    No I don't use it. I use KMPlayer. How did you guess that!!?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    What encoder are you using? With x264 or x265 you can enter e.g "keyint=50" (without quotes) into the "Extra Options" field you find in the "Video" tab.

But I agree with what jagabo said earlier: seeking should be accurate irregardless of keyframe interval. Maybe your player is not set up correctly or bad. Also make sure you are on the latest HandBrake version (you can test the latest nightly version as well)
    Thanks "sneaker"! I'll check it now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    KMPlayer should be same. Some times ago it was clone of potplayer. So look in preference playback timeskip

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    you can enter e.g "keyint=50" (without quotes) into the "Extra Options" field you find in the "Video" tab.
    Thanks it worked but the video quality decreased a lot unfortunately!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Thanks "Bernix"! It was another solution way. I really appreciate you but actually in general I can't tell all of my customers to set this setting!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is why is 250 by default. 50 frames so at 25fps every 2 second the frame has to be fully described. it means 5x often. Also check search method in kmplayer.

Btw, is it part of presets, that GOP can't be configured when preset is selected, or is it just feature of Avidemux. Unable to change anything using presets? I thought there is no reason to not be able change GOP using CRF + preset.

EDIT:
    It was another solution way. I really appreciate you but actually in general I couldn't tell all of my customers to set this setting!
    So it isn't fault of your video. It is fault of their player's settings. You can't be responsible that your videos are not playable on calculator for example

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 24th Sep 2018 at 12:03. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    So it isn't fault of your video. It is fault of their player's settings. You can't be responsible that your videos are not playable on calculator for example
    Bernix
    Yeah... You're right.
    Thanks! I really appreciate you my friend.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thank you all guys.

Best wishes!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by MBlueSky View Post
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    you can enter e.g "keyint=50" (without quotes) into the "Extra Options" field you find in the "Video" tab.
    Thanks it worked but the video quality decreased a lot unfortunately!
    Then you did something wrong. The difference in quality between keyint 250 and 50 (when using bitrate based encoding) should be pretty small. When using CRF encoding you will get the same quality but larger files with 50 -- but only by about 10 percent at most.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just last thing. Keyframes are usually placed where is big difference in picture. Scene cut. Codecs benefits most from similarity of sequence and similarity of pictures. So you can set how agresively they are inserted. To make GOP very low is probably good for watching security or other cameras footage. Here I see reason for precise search. On other hand here can codecs benefit very much.

I'm try to say, that in most cases are Keyframe inserted when there is cut in video. So most common is in fast search it starts with begining of scene. There is not much scenes very long in ordinary movie. Also you now have GOP fixed to 50 frames. Independently on content. Min and Max is now same. Min is default also 50fps.
    Also you presume all your customers have computers of same specification.
    Some experts on Bluray can tell you what is standart size of min max GOP in Bluray specification. I believe it is 50 and 250 or similar. So I wouldn't care about customers, when you are close to standart. Other can complain about size or quality when you do not utilize all feature of codec. There are users using gop with lenght 500.
    Bluray mentioned because it use H.264 with AAC and Full HD. If users are satisfied with this standart and they are i believe, no reason to change GOP max. You are loosing quality or increase file size.
    Btw when you unchecked keyframe search and helped it on video with long GOP? If yes i believe anybody can do same if needed search preciselly. Also if they needed specific frame, there is in most players 1frame forward backward movement.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  20. Blu-ray GOP size is limited to 1 second. So 24 frames at 24 fps, 60 frames at 60 fps, etc.
    Quote Quote