VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi again,

So I had a bad tape jam that I outlined in my other thread where I had to take apart the unit to extract the tape. I was able to correctly put the top tape guide back into place, but two things: 1) there was a loose 3/4 inch capacitor in the box and 2) I have now noticed that the machine is not able to play tapes. It's like the motor that would turn the tape just got a lot weaker. I stuck in a newer tape and it plays with some mechanical noise but can not fast forward. I put in an old SP tape and it doesn't play at all. I'm guessing the tape that originally got jammed was wound too tight and blew the motor? Would just the blown capacitor cause that issue? I guess I will try to find someone that can repair it (washington dc suburbs - know anyone? ). I loved this thing - was my best player in the last year of digitizing. Picked up the digitizing bug a year or two ago - about 500hrs of tapes done, but this is my first broken unit. Any advice? Is there another forum where details on vcrs/repairs might be more appropriate?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Since you have the service manual, you could start by checking the voltage at the capstan motor with a meter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's very unusual for a JVC VCR to have caps issues.
    But it can happen.

A blown motor probably has nothing to do with the caps, and the motor is simply shot.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the replies. What would the fix be for a blown motor? Full replacement with same model type or could the motor be serviced?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    How do you know the motor is blown? It could just be a component in the motor circuit. Or even a mechanical problem in the linkage.
    Quote Quote