VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a certain size that will allow me to upload a video in HD? Are alternative methods where I can use programs like Vegas or Virtualdub AIO to upload videos where Youtube has "no choice" but to make it HD? Does anyone have the answers to these questions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Marsia Mariner
    Unless things have changed drastically, if you upload a, let's say, 720p clip, then YouTube will generate an HD copy and lower-resolution versions as well. But it will not create a 720p or a 1080p version from a 480p source, for instance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see. What are the solutions to this?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    Youtube has "no choice" but to make it HD?
    youtube makes the same resolution as you give it to it

you upload 1280x720 so that is going to be youtube resolution as well and lower resolution version (480p) as well
    you upload 1920x1080 so it is going to be that resolution as well (plus 720p, 480p)

if you have 720x480 video, it will not be posted in HD, you'd need it to upscale it yourself first and then upload

but 720x480 is interlaced mostly, if you upscale it in Vegas , it will be messed up, you'd need to do it outside of Vegas with some sophisticated methods, to make video progressive first , then upscale to progressive again, you can try VirtualDub2. You do not want to upload intelaced video to YouTube anyway. YouTube maybe deinterlaces it, but I doubt it does better that you'd do it yourself in that VirtualDub2 for example.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    Youtube has "no choice" but to make it HD?
    youtube makes the same resolution as you give it to it

you upload 1280x720 so that is going to be youtube resolution as well and lower resolution version (480p) as well
    you upload 1920x1080 so it is going to be that resolution as well (plus 720p, 480p)

if you have 720x480 video, it will not be posted in HD, you'd need it to upscale it yourself first and then upload

but 720x480 is interlaced mostly, if you upscale it in Vegas , it will be messed up, you'd need to do it outside of Vegas with some sophisticated methods, to make video progressive first , then upscale to progressive again, you can try VirtualDub2. You do not want to upload intelaced video to YouTube anyway. YouTube maybe deinterlaces it, but I doubt it does better that you'd do it yourself in that VirtualDub2 for example.
    Looks like I have to use the VirtualDub2 as Vegas is not a thing for me right now. Will the filesize be massive if I used such a thing? I had some experience with Virtualdub and sometimes I save video files with a huge filesize due to the aforementioned upscaling and resizing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. virtualdub2 can export MP4 so you can reduce your size and upload it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay I will give that a try then.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    virtualdub2 can export MP4 so you can reduce your size and upload it
    How do you resize the video? Is the same as in Virtualdub?
    Quote Quote