VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I rendered a short video on Sony Movie Studio 15 Platinum using Sony YUV lossless codec. Even though that lossless format supposedly puts codec into the AVI file, I cannot import that file into other video editors such as Wondershare Filmora. Is there any lossless codec that is highly portable on a Windows 8 system? I guess this might be further complicated by the fact that some applications will be 32-bit and others 64-bit?

I could just render everything to MP4 and stop worrying about this issue, but I guess that is not going to be lossless?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try with (lossy) ProRess422 HQ ? it's visual lossless.
    (it's a Quicktime container though)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    MP4 is container with videotrack and audiotrack + something else. You are asking for lossless encoder for videotrack. H.264 (x264) support lossless encoding. But it depend also on your soft Sony movie studio 15.
    Most common lossless codec are huffyuv and lagarith. But you have to pay attention (i think) to colorspace.
    Visualy same pixel by pixel is what all lossless codecs doo. Otherwise you can save it raw. Compresion in lossless codecs are bit effective also depends on setting and video content.
    Other think to visual same. Only way to compress bit by bit is zip, rar or 7zip and others lossless file compression but it is not desired.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some programs use system installed codecs, some don't (using only codecs built into the program). No installed codec will help with the latter.

Even with programs that use system installed codecs there are two different video subsystems in Windows: DirectShow and VFW. Some programs use one, some the other. Finally, there are 32bit and 64 bit video subsystems if you are running 64 bit Windows. 32bit programs can only see 32 codecs, 64 bit programs can only see 64 bit codecs. So optimally, you want a codec that installs both 32 bit and 64 bit DirectShow and VFW codecs. Lagarith and UT Video Codec do that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some programs use system installed codecs, some don't (using only codecs built into the program). No installed codec will help with the latter.

Even with programs that use system installed codecs there are two different video subsystems in Windows: DirectShow and VFW. Some programs use one, some the other. Finally, there are 32bit and 64 bit video subsystems if you are running 64 bit Windows. 32bit programs can only see 32 codecs, 64 bit programs can only see 64 bit codecs. So optimally, you want a codec that installs both 32 bit and 64 bit DirectShow and VFW codecs. Lagarith and UT Video Codec do that.
    Can I bypass all of this just by using MP4?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try UT lossless. easy to install, still being updated, and works. you can render out of vegas to UT lossless once installed. probably have to reboot to get it in the list.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @pone44, there is currently NO codec, lossless or not, which puts the codec's application code into the media data payload. And it would very likely be a very bad security issue if one started to.

Scott
    Quote Quote