VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I tried the BD3D2MK3D encoder and I think it does a great job at encoding but unfortunately I misinterpreted what full "frame sequential" means where I assumed it would render out a compressed left base video stream and a right MVC that I could mux as ISO to be playable on my Dune Media Player. Is there a way to re-encode original MVC into a new MVC but with smaller size using BD3D2MK3D and if so, how do I go about it? If it is currently not possible perhaps this feature could be added in a future release of BD3D2MK3D?

Like I said I really like the encoder quality but don't like to compromise by converting to half 3D and the full frame sequential is useless to me. Also, unlike the frame sequential with MVC format the the film can be played back as 2D if one chooses.

Thank you for reading.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Encoding to MVC is not possible using BD3D2MK3D. Main reason is encoder quality. x264 is a great AVC encoder but it cannot create MVC (AVC frame sequential is similar but not supported by 3D Blu-Ray standard). Free MVC encoder is FRIM but the quality isn't good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. sneaker,

Exactly! Which is why if the BD3D2MKV3D supported the 3D Blu-Ray standard as output it would make the software that much more appealing and powerful. At the moment (FRIM aside) the only software to do that is DVDFab GeeKit MVC Codecs which actually allows to decode playable left/right eyes so they can be edited in other software and then brought back to be encoded back into MVC but unfortunately it's currently unstable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for stupid answer, never have 3d bluray movie. But Potplayer has Opencodecs that contain H.264 MVC codec and plenty of settings. It can also record what is playing in potplayer, but not as MVC. And only in real time. At least you can try to play with it. There is really very very much option for viewing 3d. If you use default setting there is on bottom right is "3D" option, you can enable H.265 MVC codec here and any settings. Then record what you see. (most probably some lossless codec should be best or some HW encoding)
    As I mentioned first it is stupid answer, but probably you discover something useful here.

Edit: Probably throught DSC there could be some chance. You should get same stream in mkv. (still think it will not help you)

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 15th Sep 2018 at 11:12. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tommy2010 View Post
    Exactly! Which is why if the BD3D2MKV3D supported the 3D Blu-Ray standard as output it would make the software that much more appealing and powerful.
    Currently, the only free MVC encoder is the Intel media toolkit, used internally by FRIM and a couple of other free BD-3D encoders. As written above, the Intel encoder is not really good. BD3D2MK3D does a great job because it doesn't encode in MVC, and prefers to use x264 or x265 internally. But x264 is unable to encode in MVC.

Also, the subtitles of re-encoded BDs are shown on the surface of the screen, as currently all programs made for shrinking a 3D BD-50 to fit on a BD-25 are unable to preserve the 3D information of the subtitles (called Offset Sequences). BD3D2MK3D can convert the subtitles to 3D, in a format that can be shown by many (but not all) standalone players. IMO, it's important, especially for non-English speakers like me.

Note also that the goal of BD3D2MK3D is to encode in Half or Full SBS or TAB (or, optionally, in the less popular Frame Sequential format) to produce a standalone MKV file, that can be simply kept on your hard disc. In the other hand, MVC 3D is currently supported only by the BD players and a couple of non-free players under Windows, and therefore it requires almost always to burn the video on a BD, a fragile support that will certainly be abandoned soon or later.

So, encoding in MVC simply to reduce the size of a BD requires not only a specific encoder, but also very specific video constraints and, of course, an additional complex step to rebuild the BD authoring, and a way to copy the 3D offset sequences for the 3D subtitles. It is not really easy to add all these things to a program that has not at all be designed with that in mind. And since the video quality will certainly be less good than a properly encoded Half-SBS, and your encode will be dependent of a fragile support, I think that trying to implement MVC encoding with BD3D2MK3D is simply a waste of time. I will never do it. Sorry.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi there,

"MVC 3D is currently supported only by the BD players and a couple of non-free players under Windows"

Not true, there are standalone media players like the Dune 3D Base HD and now the 4K version that play MVC flawlessly from a ISO image.

"It is not really easy to add all these things to a program that has not at all be designed with that in mind. And since the video quality will certainly be less good than a properly encoded Half-SBS"

I can only imagine that it's not easy to implement but you already got the decoding part down, is it really that hard to get it back to MVC once video is encoded? In any case you saying that the video quality of Half-SBS is better than native MVC format is just ridiculous. Maybe on a small TV screen it's comparable but most definitely not when viewed on a RealD 3D projector with a large screen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by tommy2010 View Post
    I can only imagine that it's not easy to implement but you already got the decoding part down
    The decoding is basically done by Intel software/hardware. It's not something written by the BD3D2MK3D author himself.

Originally Posted by tommy2010 View Post
    is it really that hard to get it back to MVC once video is encoded?
    Converting to MVC is encoding. And writing a good encoder is very difficult. With decoding there is only one outcome but with encoding there are practically infinite possibilities. It took years for x264 to become a good encoder with a number of people working on it. Do not expect BD3D2MK3D's or other freeware authors to write a good, free MVC encoder similar to x264 - or any for that matter - just because you asked. There doesn't seem to be enough interest by capable developers in this, end of story.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by tommy2010 View Post
    Not true, there are standalone media players like the Dune 3D Base HD and now the 4K version that play MVC flawlessly from a ISO image.
    So it's just a a versatile BD player that can accept an ISO instead of a physical BD disc. I have never said that such hardware players do not exist. The point is not there. You CANNOT play a MKV with AVC+MVC 3D video with many players, and to my knowledge, none are free. Since the goal of BD3D2MK3D, as its name implies, is to CONVERT a 3D BD to MKV 3D, it doesn't make much sense to encode in AVC+MVC, really not well supported.

If you really want to keep the AVC+MVC format, use a BD-re-encoding program (and unfortunately, with a free encoder, you will obtain a bad quality) or MakeMKV (that doesn't re-encode but simply put the original streams in a MKV container). Why should I write something that exists already ?

Originally Posted by tommy2010 View Post
    In any case you saying that the video quality of Half-SBS is better than native MVC format is just ridiculous.
    Please be polite.
    Where have you read that the native MVC is less good than half SBS? I have never said that. The fact is that re-encoding in Half-SBS with x264 or x265 is largely better than re-encoding with the Intel Media Toolkit (FRIM), as that MVC encoder is not good at all. And currently, it's the only free MVC encoder available. So, for the best quality, you should either keep the original video streams untouched (and just copy without re-encoding the original BD to a BD-R or an ISO, or a MKV with MakeMKV), or encode in Full or Half-SBS or TAB. The worst quality is what YOU want: re-encode in MVC.

And please let me judge of the difficulty to modify the code I have written. I do it with pleasure for peoples asking kindly to add an useful feature, but I don't want to do it for arrogant peoples like you, especially when the work is enormous and the result will certainly not be good.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 18th Sep 2018 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @r0lZ,

My apologies if I offended you because that was not my intention at all. I was talking about MVC and your "And since the video quality will certainly be less good than a properly encoded Half-SBS" read like you were suggesting that a full frame MVC is of inferior quality.

I understand what the goal of BD3D2MK3D is and didn't mean to imply that writing such a software is easy but only thought that maybe it's worth while expanding it further. DVDFab GeeKit MVC Codecs although buggy at the moment does a great job at authoring MVC from encoded left/right eye mkvs but doesn't have the features that BD3D2MK3D does.

Again, my apologies if I offended you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's OK. But please understand that I have to work with free third-party software that I cannot modify. Among them are the encoders. Encoding in high quality in h264 or h265 is possible, thanks to the wonderful job of the authors of x264 and x265. Unfortunately, the guys at Intel are not so capable, but we must thank them for giving their MVC encoder for free (in fact, as a demo of their processors). The quality is so-so, but if you really want that, there are several programs that can already re-encode a 3D BD to MVC for free, using precisely that Intel encoder. It is not at all my intention to write yet another one, with the numerous limitations of that format (not well supported, bad video quality, no 3D subtitles...) I have enough work with BD3D2MK3D.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @r0lZ,

Understood and thank you for the great work you're doing with BD3D2MK3D.
    Quote Quote