VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I found comments online about that though the maximum capacity of a DVD is 4.3GB, you should't burn it fully, but leave a small empty space. Is this correct? If yes, what is the recommended maximum amount I should burn?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    4480mb is the max, but if your worried about recovery etc do 4096mb and use multipar to make recovery info. That way in the event of a error you can get your files back...usually. I do this with pretty much all the dics I author with 5-10% redundancy. Just writing less really does nothing as a scratch is well a scratch at the end of the day
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anything over 4gb is suspect, as disc edges don't always burn well even on the best media.
    I generally stop at 4.25gb, never filling entire 4.37gb.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Anything over 4gb is suspect, as disc edges don't always burn well even on the best media.
    I generally stop at 4.25gb, never filling entire 4.37gb.
    What do you consider the best media? Is there large variation brand to brand?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1

I recently posted this on another thread:

Read the posts on these links for the latest discussions about Vebatim AZO (and how to recognize fakes) and Taiyo Yuden:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/389210-CMC-manufacturing-Taiyo-Yuden-DVDs

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391272-Beware-of-new-Verbatim-non-AZO-packaging

Also, don't be mislead by M-Disc claims of quality and longevity. All reviews point to it just being marketing. Stick with Verbatim AZO and Taiyo Yuden."
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Back in the day, I set DVDShrink to 4GB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    I found comments online about that though the maximum capacity of a DVD is 4.3GB, you should't burn it fully, but leave a small empty space. Is this correct? If yes, what is the recommended maximum amount I should burn?
    A DVD-R SL has 2'298'496 sectors, means 4'707'319'808 Bytes = 4'596'992 kiB = 4'489 MiB = 4.384 GiB = 4.707 GB
    A DVD+R SL has 2'295'104 sectors, means 4'700'372'992 Bytes = 4'590'208 kiB = 4'483 MiB = 4.378 GiB = 4.700 GB

It is good practice to fill the discs not more than 90% for the reasons mentioned in the posts before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had issues with how much gets burned. When I get the message (however worded) data is more than disk capacity, I remove the minimum amount to be under disk cap. I also set burn speed way below the disk advertised write speed.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Back in the day, I set DVDShrink to 4GB.
    Same here.
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yes, get these:
    Do not get the "Life Series" by the same company. Make sure they say "Azo" on the outside.
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    +1

I recently posted this on another thread:

Read the posts on these links for the latest discussions about Vebatim AZO (and how to recognize fakes) and Taiyo Yuden:
    Thank you both. (lingyi, thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    It is good practice to fill the discs not more than 90% for the reasons mentioned in the posts before.
    Cannot confirm, and that's lots of wasted space imo (more than 400 MiB!).

Pretty much every DVD I ever encoded myself uses the capacity of the media by almost 100%. On a DVD+R I never come up with less than 4460 MiB out of the available 4482.25 MiB.

Never, in all those years, had problems with the last parts of the video skipping or so. I use Verbatim DVD+R AZO made in Taiwan (the Indian ones are way inferior, avoid those), and burn with my BenQ DW 1650 at half the rated media speed (usually 8x).
    Last edited by Skiller; 11th Jan 2019 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does CD/DVD Speed (Used to come with Nero) still work? It may need XP.
    This can be used to judge burn quality if you can get it to work
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Does CD/DVD Speed (Used to come with Nero) still work? It may need XP.
    This can be used to judge burn quality if you can get it to work
    VSO inspector works

and there's 4 more listed here - https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-cd-or-dvd-readability-by-running-surface-scan-and-file-test/
    Quote Quote  
  14. According to the Verbatim web site some DataLifePlus DVDs also use the AZO recording dye. I’ve been buying 16x DVD+R 50 pack in the clear container for years and have had no problems. They have an 82% 5 star rating on Amazon. Made in Taiwan. Product #94917
    Quote Quote  
  15. All this discussion thus far has been centered on 4.7 GB DVD's. What is the consensus thought on DL 8.5 GB DVD's? An obvious cursory glance by a noobie such as myself thinks, "Perfect! Twice the storage!". But are they reliable? Or are they problematic?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
    All this discussion thus far has been centered on 4.7 GB DVD's. What is the consensus thought on DL 8.5 GB DVD's? An obvious cursory glance by a noobie such as myself thinks, "Perfect! Twice the storage!". But are they reliable? Or are they problematic?
    You are unfortunately running into a discussion about ancient technology....well almost.
    We may as well be discussing who makes the best blank audio cassettes....Maxell, TDK or BASF.

Databases and lengthy discussions about the best blank DVD manufacturers and brands have been abandoned years ago....now it's a crap shoot.
    Just grab some Verbatim and hope for the best.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only DL media recommended is Verbatim DL AZO. Use Imgburn and let it set the layer break.

As hech54 stated, old topic with lots of discussion and the above combo is as good as it gets, which still doesn't mean it's 100% error free.
    Quote Quote