VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need a converter that can handle both 8 and 10 bit 4K HEVC videos, convert them to editable formats (such as Cineform 720p) just like AME, but is either free or a one-off paid software. Don't mind expensive, but can't go for subscription as I only edit once in a blue moon.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Might look into something like FFMPEG for converting to MJEPG. JPEG2000, Prores, or Intra-H.264(I frame only).

Personally I just use low resolution GOP H.264 (x264) as a proxy, as H.264 decoding is so fast these days that it doesn't really slow me down and saves so much space that I can just keep the proxies for future editing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Might look into something like FFMPEG for converting to MJEPG. JPEG2000, Prores, or Intra-H.264(I frame only).

Personally I just use low resolution GOP H.264 (x264) as a proxy, as H.264 decoding is so fast these days that it doesn't really slow me down and saves so much space that I can just keep the proxies for future editing.
    how is it possible to natively edit h264 in Premiere Pro CC? My 8700k + GTX1070Ti chokes on 4K 100MBPS h264 from the a7rii.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I create proxies with x264, with CABAC turned off and a resolution of ~360p. Smaller resolutions are easier to play and turning off CABAC is easier to decode. It's nearly instant frame seeking. My source videos are normally HEVC/H.265, which is extremely slow to decode in PP.
    Last edited by KarMa; 10th Sep 2018 at 06:00.
    Quote Quote