VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey,
    i recently rendered a mov at 25fps into mp4. no problem.
    now, with the same camera, same cam settings (except upping the fps to 29), and the same vegas settings (changing the export vid to 29 fps also), i get this when exporting
    [Attachment 46696 - Click to enlarge]

is it possible my pc is not powerfull enough to render at 29fps, thus this weird artifacts?
    i am using a toaster pc since my regular pc is waiting for a new mobo.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ricmetal View Post

is it possible my pc is not powerfull enough to render at 29fps, thus this weird artifacts?
    unlikely ; an older pc will just export it more slowly . When playing it back, it might go out of sync or drop frames for example

what does "same cam settings (except upping the fps to 29)" mean ? Does your camera have settings for 25fps and 29.97fps ? Did that original 29.97fps version look normal in a media player or vegas preview?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok.
    so, same cam settings - i mean we just changed the fps. i believe there where more settings that could be changed regarding video in the camera. i'd have to check, but the original 29fps version plays fine in windows and vegas's preview.

just the exported mp4 is all messed.

huh...the video is without artifacts on my google drive...what does this mean?
    Last edited by ricmetal; 9th Sep 2018 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ricmetal View Post

huh...the video is without artifacts on my google drive...what does this mean?
    the exported video ?

It suggests a playback configuration problem

Try a different media player eg. mpchc , vlc, mpv, smplayer, etc...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, the exported video...i opened it in vlc and wmp already - they both play the video with artifacts, but the playback is not the same.
    vlc shows all this pink block popping up everywhere, while wmp has a hard time playing a portion of the video which has a transparent rectangle overlapping the rest of the video, but shows no pink blocks (which in the screenshot above are green)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ricmetal View Post
    yeah, the exported video...i opened it in vlc and wmp already - they both play the video with artifacts, but the playback is not the same.
    vlc shows all this pink block popping up everywhere, while wmp has a hard time playing a portion of the video which has a transparent rectangle overlapping the rest of the video, but shows no pink blocks (which in the screenshot above are green)
    But that same exported video to google drive looks ok in the preview ?

What does mediainfo (view=>text) say about the exported video. Copy and paste the text results back here
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the same exported video looks good in google drive and the preview window in vegas, yes.

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42 (mp42/isom)
    File size : 212 MiB
    Duration : 13 s 213 ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 135 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2018-09-09 20:05:29
    Tagged date : UTC 2018-09-09 20:05:29

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L5.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 3 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=15
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 13 s 213 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 135 Mb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 240 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.165
    Stream size : 212 MiB (100%)
    Language : English
    Color range : Limited

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 13 s 184 ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : channel0
    Channel(s)_Original : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 309 KiB (0%)
    Language : English
    Quote Quote  
  8. The render/export might be ok. It might just be a playback problem on your slow/old computer . 1920x1080 L5.1 125Mb/s might be too much for it to handle

Since google drive re-encodes a lower quality version for the preview, it might playback ok on that computer

Is it possible you're using older verions of of VLC on that older computer as well. Try a newer MPCHC version . It should playback, but maybe slowly and out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    using latest vlc. mpchc shows the same type of blocky artifacts as vlc.
    but ill test the video on a better pc

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. In Vegas export settings choose CUSTOM (after selecting your template),
    choose video tab and make sure you have selcted 2pass, then average choose 20000000(20milion) and max bitrate choose 35000000 (35 milion)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 pass is selected, and i've tried with 240million on average and max bitrates.

those settings i've nailed (at least they've worked very well for encoding other videos i've done in the past)

but now i'm on my new pc and i get the same bloody results.

might i need to extract the raw video track or something and see what i can do with it?

i've just now reencoded the mov into mp4 with nvidia h264 in avidemux, (EDIT ->) and the mp4 looks fine.
    didn't wanna reencode the video twice, any idea what to do?
    Last edited by ricmetal; 11th Sep 2018 at 21:39.
    Quote Quote  
  12. If google drive preview of the export plays/decode without errors , then it suggests file is ok. But maybe you just missed looking at a section - did you look closely?

What about re-importing the export back into vegas ? Are there errors in vegas ?

If both those are ok, then you likely have a playback configuration issue
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So here's the low down. I rerecorded some footage with the same fps and resolution and the new recording exports fine in vegas. Various tests later, and it seems that a recording with zooming in and out is the problem!

this is weird. the original .mov the camera creates (while zooming in and out, while filming) plays well in vlc.
    it's just when exporting though vegas that a problem appears.

EDIT: so, final thoughts: between tests i may have used the same bitrate for both average and maximum; this apparently creates some problems, namely the appearance of artifacts (at least in my experience). secondly, there is a chance that videos get screwed up when filming with zoom, according to the camera's manual. how exactly a recorded file plays well but an exported file shows problems is beyond me - in my case, the artifacts as in the first picture don't show up anymore, but at points the video freezes for a few seconds.
    Last edited by ricmetal; 14th Sep 2018 at 06:24.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ricmetal View Post
    So here's the low down. I rerecorded some footage with the same fps and resolution and the new recording exports fine in vegas. Various tests later, and it seems that a recording with zooming in and out is the problem!

this is weird. the original .mov the camera creates (while zooming in and out, while filming) plays well in vlc.
    it's just when exporting though vegas that a problem appears.

EDIT: so, final thoughts: between tests i may have used the same bitrate for both average and maximum; this apparently creates some problems, namely the appearance of artifacts (at least in my experience). secondly, there is a chance that videos get screwed up when filming with zoom, according to the camera's manual. how exactly a recorded file plays well but an exported file shows problems is beyond me - in my case, the artifacts as in the first picture don't show up anymore, but at points the video freezes for a few seconds.

It doesn't make any sense that zoom would cause a problem. And you're saying the camera's manual states that ?

What does mediainfo (view=>text) say about the original MOV ? If it recorded in variable frame rate, that could cause some issues
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it's gonna stutter that way. Because it chokes on it. The CPU just starts chopping it.
    Quote Quote