VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some movies, especially older flicks have very dark scenes and are difficult to view. I use a Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 8.1 set on maximum brightness, but have problems watching streamed movies that have very dark frame scenes. I use Google Chrome as my main web browser and searched for a solution to this problem. A plugin is available from the Chrome web store called "Video Styler", it has many features and is very effective in improving brightness of movie.

It mainly works on web sites that use a HTML5 video player, including YouTube. The settings include, brightness, contrast, saturate, grey scale, sepia, hue and blur. A SVG filter with further enhancements include, gamma+, gamma-, sharpness, distortion and discrete. See movie screen images comparing original, with brightness applied using Video Styler.
    The movie is The Rookie (1990) directed and starring Clint Eastwood.

[Attachment 46688 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 46690 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is that an older laptop? Newer laptops use LED backlighting for the LCD display. Older laptops use florescent tubes for backlighting. Florescent backlights tend to deteriorate with age and lose brightness. LED backlighting commonly does not deteriorate.
    Unfortunately, florescent backlights on a laptop are not simple to replace, depends on the laptop and availability of replacement florescent tubes.
    And I'm guessing you have already tried to adjust the brightness level with the laptop GPU settings.

You can ignore the above if all other video shows proper brightness.

Other than that, maybe some other members here might have some ideas for a different player that may work for you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PotPlayer free can adjust brightness, colours, etc.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote