VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Are you really, really sure that you really need the unreliable DirectShow system, and neither of the indexing source plugins (FFMS2 and L-SMASH Works) can handle your source correctly?

Well, if you insist... you should have read this dialog, it told you that it "has to be enabled in the settings if required".
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MeGUI_DSS_AVS.png
Views:	435
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	46685  

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well, after I enabled it, when I open an AVI file, I get offered 3 choices, the last is AviSource.

For all other formats, I am not sure, it seems that MeGUI tries to detect at first whether it can open it via DirectShowSource (the preliminary script contains it before loading a source file), but then MeGUI crashes for me. For a moment, I see a dialog flash which may have the size of the tool selection.

I will discuss this crash in the MeGUI development thread in the doom9 forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the video is HEVC/H265, then directshow is not an option anymore I believe.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Depends on available decoders. LAV Filters are pretty comprehensive. But anyway, native AviSynth source plugins (FFMS2 / L-SMASH Works, via "File indexer") are to be preferred.

The crash happened for all containers except AVI for me, and the script worked in VirtualDub2, so its reason may be in MeGUI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  8. The File Indexer doesn't have DirectShowSource or AviSource options. For those, I'm pretty sure you have to open the source directly with the script creator.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    The dialogs from the top are clearly a result of using the "AVS Script Creator" (Ctrl+R), there would be no reason for a choice (not even "OneClick") if you already start in the "File Indexer".
    __

Besides, my crashes on one PC were not related to MeGUI (they happened e.g. in AVSMeter too; I wonder why VirtualDub2 survived?!), I "fixed" a bugged DirectShow filter set by forcing the use of LAV filters for many video formats using the Codec Tweak Tool. Then, selecting a source file in the AVS Script Creator dialog of MeGUI displayed the 3-button choice, as intended.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Agreed. The dialogues are clearly the result of opening a source with the Script Creator, once you know you get there by opening a source with the Script Creator, otherwise it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume they'd be found via the File/Open menu, which I'm sure they were until recently. When you open a video via the File/Open menu, a similar dialogue will appear, although clearly not the result of opening a file with the Script Creator (if it doesn't appear, you'll have to reset the dialogues in Options to see it).

If memory serves, when DirectShowSource and Avisource were disabled by default, those options were removed from the dialogues, which left MeGUI unable to create a DirectShowSource or AviSource script itself (except maybe via OneClick) so they were reinstated for the Script Creator dialogue. It wouldn't have been my choice. If anywhere, I think they belong on the File/Open menu dialogue. Chances are the OP did too.

I should have said "the File/Open menu doesn't have"..... only I ticked the "don't ask me again" checkbox years ago, so for me the File/Open and File Indexer menus do the same thing. Still.... my bad.

2793 [AVS Script Creator] added information about DirectShowSource/AVISource when opening a file
    2784 [AVS Script Creator] DirectShowSource/AVISource are disabled by default and have to be enabled in the MeGUI settings
    2783 [AVS Script Creator] improved the file extension filters of the "video input" file open dialogue
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th Sep 2018 at 10:17.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you
    Quote Quote