VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    So i recently found my old vcr and a number of tapes. The vcr is in good working order and plays 90% of the vhs tapes i found. However a few of the tapes do not display the picture or any sound when inserted in the vcr including an old home Christmas video. The time on the player remains at 0:00:00 when these tapes are inside and are played, re-winded or fast forwarded. The tapes still play in the vcr from beginning to end so i know its not jammed or anything. I disassembled some of the tapes to see if they were wound too tight or if there was any dirt and even replaced the reels from the original vhs' to another working one but the tapes remained the same when i inserted it again with no picture of movement of the timer. Also 2 or 3 of the other tapes that were previously working fine suddenly stopped playing like the others and showed no picture and the timer no longer moved on the vcr. Not sure what to do and would be eternally grateful for a solution!

EDIT: Thanks for some of the suggestions so far. I decided to disassemble my Other vcr which i thought was completely dead and did not work with any of my tapes. To my surprise after cleaning the vcr head It began to work! (though the picture is distorted somewhat and flickers every now and then) And one of the tapes that previously stopped working in my inital vcr began playing in the one i fixed. But after trying a few more tapes the vcr stopped working again. No picture or sound after almost an hour of working. Now im even more confused ??
    Last edited by Mizz; 6th Sep 2018 at 07:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something you can check easily and quickly - clean the linear audio/control track stationary head. It's the small
    head on the right side of the transport near the pinch roller
    Use a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol
    Pay particular attention to the top and bottom of the head corresponding to the tape edges
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you don't get any time code change, and yet other tapes not only advance the time code, but give you picture and sound, it sure sounds like you simply have blank tapes. I run into this all the time when someone gives me a closet full of tapes to transfer. Some of them even have labels on them, but clearly are blank. I have multiple VCRs and when I get a tape that exhibits the symptoms you describe, I always try to play it on at least one other VCR. You should try that as well, if you have a friend who has a working VCR that you can use for a few minutes.

So, my bet is that they are tapes that were never recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you for the reply! Thing is some of my tapes that arent working ive already watched including 2 tape recordings just a week ago. With these 2 i was watching them then when i went to fast foward/rewind them the timer stopped. When i ejected then put them back in the timer didnt move past 0:00:00 and wouldnt play and display picture or have sound anymore. What about this case of them suddenly stopping to work? And ill try to find another vcr to test them thanks for the suggestion

Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If you don't get any time code change, and yet other tapes not only advance the time code, but give you picture and sound, it sure sounds like you simply have blank tapes. I run into this all the time when someone gives me a closet full of tapes to transfer. Some of them even have labels on them, but clearly are blank. I have multiple VCRs and when I get a tape that exhibits the symptoms you describe, I always try to play it on at least one other VCR. You should try that as well, if you have a friend who has a working VCR that you can use for a few minutes.

So, my bet is that they are tapes that were never recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Im a complete newbie when it comes to the names of parts on the vhs! Where exactly is the transport and pinch roller? Sorry to ask you to specify again!

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Something you can check easily and quickly - clean the linear audio/control track stationary head. It's the small
    head on the right side of the transport near the pinch roller
    Use a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol
    Pay particular attention to the top and bottom of the head corresponding to the tape edges
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    It's labeled "ACE" in this photo. A smooth vertical piece that the tape rides against. Be careful while you are working there not to touch any part of nearby video drum. The control/audio head may need to be demagnetized as well as cleaned.

[Attachment 46682 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://goughlui.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DSC_1879.jpg

The stationary audio/control head is at far right, the pinch roller is to the right of that (out of the picture)

Forgot to mention, after you clean the head with the alcohol, wait at least 10 - 15 minutes
    before you insert a tape (to make sure the alcohol is completely dried out)
    Last edited by davexnet; 5th Sep 2018 at 18:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe the tape just simply snapped?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have opened the vhs and the tape in the reels are in tact and able to rewind and fast forward in the vcr. They just show no picture or sound.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Maybe the tape just simply snapped?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'll repeat my recommendation that was buried in my last post: test on another VCR. I realize that far fewer people these days have VCRs that are still working, but you must know someone, or know some company, that still has one that is intact. All you need to do is play a few minutes from 2-3 problem tapes and see what happens. This will keep you from fixing a VCR that isn't broken.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 6th Sep 2018 at 01:02. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
    EDIT: Thanks for some of the suggestions so far. I decided to disassemble my Other vcr which i thought was completely dead and did not work with any of my tapes. To my surprise after cleaning the vcr head It began to work! (though the picture is distorted somewhat and flickers every now and then) And one of the tapes that previously stopped working in my inital vcr began playing in the one i fixed. But after trying a few more tapes the vcr stopped working again. No picture or sound after almost an hour of working. Now im even more confused ??
    The evidence suggests your tapes are shedding and clogging the video heads. If they are truly precious, I suggest you get them to a professional transfer house that can clean and digitize them before they degrade further.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also....many VCRs will not play without a lid/cover.....too much light inside the unit.
    Quote Quote