VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab DRM and remove iTunes movie & music protection! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to remove this VHS noise using audacity without severely degrading the main audio track? I tried using the noise reduction feature but was not successful.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. That can be fixed by adjusting the tracking when you capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I thought tracking is just for picture adjustment.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    HiFi audio is written and read by heads on the drum; hence, it is affected by the tracking control as well. It is very sensitive to the head-switching point.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sometimes you need to capture the video twice, with different tracking adjustments. Once to get clean video, another time to get clean audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Adjusting the tracking manually can get rid of the noise but reduces the hi-fi audio volume and introduces noise to the picture. I think I better just capture the audio in mono.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The mono linear track is usually much worse quality than the HiFi track. Did you not understand my last post? You want to capture the tape twice, once with with the best tracking for video, then again for the best tracking for audio. Then combine the good video with the good audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I understand but to get best video and audio quality, automatic tracking is best. Adjusting the tracking manually reduces the fidelity of the hi-fi audio and add noise to the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    No, you apparently don't understand. The automatic setting may give you the best picture, but it is messing up your HiFi audio. Your audio will have better fidelity if you manually adjust tracking to eliminate the artifact. In practice, I have seldom found it necessary to do two captures there is usually a manual setting that gives good picture and sound.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've tried manual tracking. By the time all the hi-fi noise is gone, the hi-fi audio has become low fidelity and there is picture noise. I probably have to compromise and leave some hi-fi noise while maintaining high fidelity audio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    I've tried manual tracking. By the time all the hi-fi noise is gone, the hi-fi audio has become low fidelity and there is picture noise. I probably have to compromise and leave some hi-fi noise while maintaining high fidelity audio.
    This means the tracking is so far off the VCR has switched to the mono linear track (much worse quality) .
    Perhaps try another VCR
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tried 3 different brand of VCR, still same problem. I think it's a manufacturing defect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    Tried 3 different brand of VCR
    That doesn't mean anything. More "brands" are rebadges.
    Which exact 3 VCRs did you try?
    Quote Quote  
  14. JVC HRS-7600U, Mitsubishi HS-448, Panasonic SVHS VCR. They are definitely not rebadges since they are of different size, shape and weight.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just listened to it. No, audacity really cannot do too much for it.
    Maybe Sound Forge, with the NR filter, but it won't be entirely gone during audio, just silent parts.
    The recording may be misaligned, so you need to misalign a deck to match.
    Or use mono/linear track instead.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 9th Sep 2018 at 02:01. Reason: Typo.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yea must be a manufacturing defect since it's a small budget commercial release.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    just silent parents.
    I was just about to say the same thing.
    Quote Quote