VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I'm searching for info on effective display rendering between a 3D bluray and a H-OU encode unto a passive display. I've noticed that H-OU gives me the same resolution-defined backgrounds (think of the positive, secondary layers of 3D viewing - meaning depth) better than a full frame packed (untouched) 3D BluRay. On 3DBR Everything else looks better, color fidelity, 3D effect, sharpness... however the backgrounds look lower res than H-OU. I can see the jaggies perfectly, like resolution is halved. This is all through HDMI using a laptop with PowerDVD connected to a LG 42LW4500 Cinema 3DTV.

Anyone knows why I can notice this? Anyone else with the same experience, or is it something common with 3D BluRays?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your perception runs counter to the scientific truth. 3DBD natively outputs to HDMI as frame-packed which is equivalent to Full OU, in other words TWICE the (vertical) resolution of Half OU. And regardless, all 3 forms have identical Horizontal resolution, which is the most critical dimension in stereo3d.

Perhaps you are doing some non-optimal resize in the interim on the 3Dbd without realizing it. A passive, FPR HD display would drop the frame packed alternate lines down to the level of the half OU anyway (though a 4k passive 3dtv does not).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 1st Sep 2018 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Your perception runs counter to the scientific truth. 3DBD natively outputs to HDMI as frame-packed which is equivalent to Full OU, in other words TWICE the (vertical) resolution of Half OU. And regardless, all 3 forms have identical Horizontal resolution, which is the most critical dimension in stereo3d.

Perhaps you are doing some non-optimal resize in the interim on the 3Dbd without realizing it. A passive, FPR HD display would drop the frame packed alternate lines down to the level of the half OU anyway (though a 4k passive 3dtv does not).

Scott

I totally understand the principle, and the full frame packed resolution, don't get me wrong. I know H-OU as well as H-SBS are lossy resolution-side. The thing is, I can see a degradation in resolution on the inner (positive 3D) layers and I'm wondering why. Could it be PowerDVD rendering? Could it be the MVC (as the right eye layer) gets lower bitrate and the player or the TV decode it worse? I'm trying to humbly understand why this happens, because it definitely happens at my side.
    Quote Quote