VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have Movie Studio 8.0 and go to Render As MPEG2 but I see 3. MPEG2. Types.

MPEG2. Default Template specs says
    Audio: 224 Kbps, 44,100 Hz, Layer 2
    Video: 29.970 fps, 720x480 Now this one as you can see has Audio so I like it.

Then I see MPEG2. NTSC DVD and the specs are
    Audio: 224 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, Layer 2
    Video: 29.97 fps, 720x480
    Use this setting to create an MPEG-2 file with an NTSC DVD-compliant video stream, and an MPEG layer 2 audio stream. And this one also has Audio with the Video.

The last one says MPEG2. DVD Architect NTSC DVD and the specs says
    Audio: None
    Use this setting to create an NTSC Widescreen video-only MPEG-2 file compatible with DVD Architect. And yes I see this one is Widescreen with no Audio so you have to Import your Video into DVD Architect with this Video to make a DVD I get how this works.

But I have a lot of JPGs that are 873x480 so if I open them in Movie Studio and Ad Audio then Render As MPEG2. Default Template or MPEG2. NTSC DVD will these not keep the Video as Widescreen?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Customize that template and make sure that under VIDEO your Aspect Ratio is 16:9, not 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've used Vegas for almost fifteen years. Movie Studio is the entry-level version.

There is only one MPEG-2 type, and the presets you are referring to are simply templates that have various settings configured to meet some standard. Which one you choose depends on what you are trying to do.

If you want to make a DVD, which is the usual reason for rendering to MPEG-2, you want to choose the DVD Architect template. As you noted, it does not include any audio. You instead render the audio separately using the AC-3 Stereo or AC-3 5.1 template (I don't know if Movie Studio has these, but if it does, that is what you should use).

The MPEG-2 DVD template includes the audio, but this will not give you either the control over the settings or the quality that rendering separately to AC-3 will give you.

I have never once used the Default Template and see no reason to ever use it.

I probably authored close to 1,000 DVDs over the past fifteen years, and 99% of the time I used the DVD Architect template.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the OP should also have some clarity about his source.

I suspect there is a typo when it is written that the pics are 873 * 480. Maybe it was intended to write 853 *480. But even that is an 'illegal' number for video which should be 852*480 for NTSC dvd.

But I forget what happens to stills AR-wise when they are encoded and that is the important point. And it may be easier if there are only pics to use slide-show software rather that Vegas in this instance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. But I have a lot of JPGs that are 873x480 so if I open them in Movie Studio and Ad Audio then Render As MPEG2. Default Template or MPEG2. NTSC DVD will these not keep the Video as Widescreen?
    Somehow I missed this last line. The "secret" to getting pictures to display properly is to open the Pan/Crop dialog for that event. Then, right-click on the picture as it appears in that dialog and select "Match Output Aspect". This will make sure that the picture exactly fills the screen. Of course in most cases this will crop the picture because its aspect ratio is almost always something other than the 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio allowed by the DVD spec. You will therefore have to move the pan/crop window to place the portion of the picture you want to display.
    Quote Quote  
  6. check his threads, the whole subject has already been talked over and over
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    check his threads, the whole subject has already been talked over and over
    Gosh, I didn't see those old posts. Yes, you are correct: he posts the same thing over and over.

I didn't read the old threads, so I don't know what advice was given, but I can guarantee 100% that what I told him will solve his problem. I say this because I spent a LOT of time in the Vegas forums (close to 10,000 posts), and what I described is the accepted way to deal with the "square peg in round hole" problem of using media that is a different aspect ratio from the final render.
    Quote Quote  

8. if someone is having those basic problems, the idea is to express what he/she needs to do, like not asking I need mpeg2, but for example: I need to show movie with bunch of pictures to my brother and he has TV or DVD Player, and/or I need to also view it on the phone or I just need to see that on TV etc.

Because , after having some years on this forum also, , it is better to start like that, because I might not know what I want. Pictures made as DVD format will look very bad on today's devices.
    To produce DVD slideshow of some sort ,makes a little sense now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK I leave in the USA so if I want to make JPG Images that are 720x480 Widescreen I make them 852x480 Pix in my Graphic Program Right?

And because my Images will be Widescreen if I Import them into Movie Studio and Render As one of thesess

MPEG2. Default Template specs says
    Audio: 224 Kbps, 44,100 Hz, Layer 2
    Video: 29.970 fps, 720x480 Now this one as you can see has Audio so I like it.

Then I see MPEG2. NTSC DVD and the specs are
    Audio: 224 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, Layer 2
    Use this setting to create an MPEG-2 file with an NTSC DVD-compliant video stream, and an MPEG layer 2 audio stream. And this one also has Audio with the Video.

I wanted to know if these two MPEG Formats will keep the Widescreen Aspect?

I ask because the only MPEG Format that says in the specs Aspect Ratio 1.1212 is the MPEG Format that will just Encode Video no Audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. See post #2, there should be an option to set 16:9

Why don't you do a small test ?

Tip : you don't have to render out the full project, just render a 1 second loop region for testing. It will take you 3 seconds to do this. Check the output. If it's not what you want , go back and fix the settings
    Quote Quote  
  11. If I pick MPEG2. DVD NTCS how do I ajust the specs for it?
    On the Bottom Right Side the Customize Tab is Gray?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    If I pick MPEG2. DVD NTCS how do I ajust the specs for it?
    On the Bottom Right Side the Customize Tab is Gray?
    not sure, I use the pro version . It might be that the studio version doesn't give you the options

But at bare minimum , it should have the ability to export 4:3 and 16:9 mpeg2 for DVD
    Quote Quote  
  13. I already gave you the answer. Did you do what I suggested?

Here is a very short video that shows you exactly what you need to do. To get the pop-up shown at the 0:21, you use the right mouse button and click anywhere within the pan/crop dialog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swx-2jtQR7w

If you can't follow this, and if you don't show that you've tried this, then I give up.
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK I am in the USA so a DVD will be NTSC.
    So DVDs for the USA are 720x480 I get this.

And if it shows a Widescreen 16:9 Movie I get it will still be 720x480 and the Black Bars on Top and Bottom will be part of the 480 RES.

But I just want to know why the last MPEG2. Format that says DVD Widescreen 1.1212 will Output a Widescreen File.

But the Template that says MPEG2. DVD NTSC does not say anything about Widescreen or even Ratio of 1.2121?

Does this mean it will not Encode as Widescreen?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    But I just want to know why the last MPEG2. Format that says DVD Widescreen 1.1212 will Output a Widescreen File.
    1.2121 is the sampling aspect ratio (the width:height of individual pixels, 40:33). In general:

Code:
    DAR = FAR * SAR

DAR is the final display aspect ratio
    FAR is frame aspect ratio (720:480)
    SAR is the sampling aspect ratio
    The 1.2121 SAR comes from the ITU standard for digitizing analog video. The DAR is contained in a 704x480 frame with most devices adding 8 pixels to each side to make a 720x480 file.

Code:
    DAR = FAR * SAR
    DAR = 704:480 * 40:33
    DAR = (704/480) * (40/33)
    DAR = 704 * 40 / 480 / 33
    DAR = 1.7777... = 16/9 = 16:9
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are doing things properly, there are no black bars ANYWHERE in the process, except at playback at the very end (of the process), on screen for certain non-conforming kinds of material (either pillarbars of 4:3 material on a 16:9 widescreen tv, or letterboxing of 16:9 material on a 4:3 narrowscreen tv), and those are actually only being generated live by the player. Not part of the original or encoded image.
    And the black bars are NOT normally considered part of the 480 rez. You usually don't end up with a 480rez anyway these days, as most HDTVs are 1920x1080, and your player (or the scalar in the tv) is having to rescale/upscale just to fill the screen.

But if you haven't got this AR idea figured out by now, after all this hand-holding, there's not much hope for you or your project(s).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 2nd Sep 2018 at 01:27.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    But if you haven't got this AR idea figured out by now, after all this hand-holding, there's not much hope for you or your project(s).
    I totally agree, especially because all you have to do is use Google to find any one of several hundred tutorials which explain DAR, SAR, and all other "aspects" of aspect ratio. There really is no need to ask that particular question in this, or any other, forum.
    Quote Quote