VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to take a video feed out of 1 laptop and feed it to another laptop using USB out to USB in. The object is to stream on facebook from laptop 2 what is being recorded on laptop 1 and then feeding to laptop 2.
    Quote Quote  
  2. USB isn't designed to work this way (both computers want to act as hosts). But it appears to be possible with the right software and cable.

https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Computers-Using-USB

Whether it will work for streaming video I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply... I am planning to stream from the second computer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The question is whether the drivers/software that comes with those devices allow for more than just file transfers.

Don't the two laptops have Ethernet? You'd probably have better luck with that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They do have ethernet but the second laptop is using it to connect the the internet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    They do have ethernet but the second laptop is using it to connect the the internet.
    Then it's likely connected to a modem/router with several ports that would allow you to connect the other laptop too. Or you can buy a 4 port switch for about US$20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ...or use wireless to connect to the internet, temporarily while you're using this setup. Multi-homed laptops shouldn't be a problem - I do it all the time.

A "Null-modem" aka turnaround net cable can connect 2 machines directly to each other without needing a switch/hub. They should have different IPs, but be in the same subnet.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember you needed a special 'crossover' Ethernet cable to directly connect
    computer to computer at the LAN ports.

But a switch or a router setup allows you to use a regular Ethernet cable. And it's relatively easy to set up.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember you needed a special 'crossover' Ethernet cable to directly connect
    computer to computer at the LAN ports.
    Using a crossover cable certainly won't hurt in this case. But a lot of devices now can automatically sense the connection and compensate.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Crossover cable! Wow, that takes me back to the days of kicking my mate's ass playing Blood
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I always clearly marked my crossover cables so I didn't mix them up with my straight LAN cables. And yes, that was a long time ago.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Buy 2 USB Ethernet adapters and connect them with regular network cable - MDIX/MDI auto-translation is nowadays implemented within Ethernet NIC itself at HW level thus crossover cable is not required... Cables to connect USB Host to USB Host are usually very similar but due lower popularity frequently more expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. jagabo, as usual, is correct: modern computers no longer require a crossover cable to connect directly to each other.

As for the OP, he should be able to stream just fine using the Ethernet connection on both devices to connect to each other via the hub or switch (a switch is better for streaming).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My thanks to everyone's replies. I took some of your suggestions. We are trying to live stream our church service. After finally geting it to work we made the discovery that our internet speed is way to slow to send an accceptable signal. So I guess that's our next problem to solve. But, I must say that your suggestions were very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome ideas here
    Quote Quote