VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    i have media player classic as part of k-lite
    how could i tell it to read the video file from ram & not from the hdd?
    (could i tell it to put the video file at the nvidia cards memory?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why ?

You can set up a ram-disk. But you use system memory. Memory from a video card is AFAIK not available in this way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What do you want exactly? Why?
    Quote Quote  
  4. i want the film to run smoothly
    if its all in the ram it doesn't need to spend time reading it during play
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is HDD too slow?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems unlikely the HDD is the bottleneck
    Quote Quote  
  7. You have problem with slow CPU not HDD!
    Quote Quote  
  8. i just want to buffer the file to ram can it be done or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with davexnet.
    When you want copy the movie to cpu or gpu memory and it last longer than movie duration itself, so hdd can be bottleneck, but I really doubt. So if movie is 1,5 hours long, and you spend 2 hours of copying it, you can get better performance. But don't believe this is the case. Also if you have only 1 GPU so you have 8GB memory and if you are lucky 11GB. If you have SLI so you can have theoretically 22GB of GPU RAM. And 22 GB can be read really quick even with slowest HDD. It can be useful just in case that you have 20GB file that has 1 minute duration or so.
    Better check your playback settings, because as davexnet mentioned, HDD speed isn't most probably bottleneck.
    You can post mediainfo of the file, that you want play to see its bitrate. But most probably problem will be in your playback settings, resolution and codec that is used and your PC specification.

EDIT: as DB83 said, it is possible throught ram-disk

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 29th Aug 2018 at 07:11. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  10. I personally have only one file which is is to big for playing but that is uncompressed video and audio. If you play the file one time to the end and repeat playback, it must be fine, because then the file should be in RAM, if you have enough.

But as other user already mentioned, 99.99% CPU and/or GPU is the bottleneck. What CPU and GPU do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, all media players have a RAM buffer that the video/audio is loaded to during playback, so it's already playing from RAM.

First, Media Player Classic is a long outdated media player and may be the cause of your playback issues. Better to switch to MPC-HC or MPC-BE.

Not sure about Media Player, but in MPC-HC you can increase the buffer by going to: Options>Internal Filters>Splitter>Queue Setting/Maximum Queue Memory (MB) and increase it (e.g. 1024). Some report that it has no effect, while others say it does.

Also, give VLC a try. It's better at playing difficult files than MPC-HC, probably due to it's internal codecs. As a rule of thumb, if a video can't be played in VLC, it's unplayable. If you're still having issues with playback, its buffer can be increased by going to: Input/Codecs>All>Input/Codecs>File Caching (ms) and change the value to something higher.

Be careful when increasing the buffer in MPC-HC or VLC since it's reducing the amount of system RAM available for other operations that may be running in the background. Which leads back to what the others have said. Slow playback is caused either by your CPU or video card not being able to keep up with the video. The bottleneck isn't the HDD. When you play the problem video, do you have anything else running in the background? Even minimized programs take up system resources.
    Last edited by lingyi; 29th Aug 2018 at 12:37.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If there's still any doubt that the HDD isn't the bottleneck, consider that the transfer rate of an optical drive is far slower than any HDD and video playback is smooth from that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Even if your video file was encoded at 100Mbps (12.5MB/s) ,it would be still nothing for HDD!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Everyone is correct: you are chasing the wrong problem. Unless your video is uncompressed (extremely unlikely), the storage media will not be the bottleneck. If video playback is choppy, then the problem is CPU, or bad playback software.

The fact that you installed k-lite may have something to do with the problem. You can do a Google search and you will find all sorts of issues with this "codec pack." Most people recommend not installing it.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 30th Aug 2018 at 14:38. Reason: added second paragraph
    Quote Quote