VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm encoding a few lossless capture files in various formats (HuffYUV, UTVideo, Uncompressed) to FFV1 for archive purposes. They are all interlaced, verified by loading the clips in AvsPMod and applying separatefields(), unique frames on each step. It's also easy to see visually, with all the combing. Some are TFF, some BFF, but all 100% interlaced, captured from VHS mostly.

This is the input I use for FFV1 (This for a TFF source, hence -top 1):

ffmpeg -i "INPUT" -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -c:v ffv1 -level 3 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -top 1 -flags +ilme+ildct "OUTPUT"
    On this output, mediainfo reports it as Progressive

Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Writing library : Lavc57.106.101 ffv1
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    coder_type : Range Coder
    MaxSlicesCount : 24
    ErrorDetectionType : Per slice
    as does ffprobe

Stream #0:0: Video: ffv1 (FFV1 / 0x31564646), yuv422p(progressive), 720x576, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc (default)
    However loading the ouput again in Avspmod, it is still interlaced TFF, which is obviously what I want. So whilst this isn't a problem in terms of the actual video output, given that these are archive files that may be used 10-20 years down the line, and perhaps by someone else, I'd prefer to avoid the confusion and have the output file correctly identify itself as Interlaced.

Anyone know why it's not correctly reported as interlaced?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    FFmpeg assumes your video is progressive unless you tell it otherwise. What format are you muxing into?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    FFmpeg assumes your video is progressive unless you tell it otherwise. What format are you muxing into?
    Indeed, which is why I included the -top 1 -flags +ilme+ildct arguments. Is that not enough? Mux format was MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't think FFV1 supports interlace flagging. I used that command line on an interlaced YUY2 source and the resulting MKV file was flagged progressive. But the since YUY2 doesn't subsample chroma vertically it doesn't matter. You can treat the video as interlaced down the line and it works fine. Changing the command line to use libx264 instead of ffv1 gave a video that was flagged interlaced (MBAFF, TFF) and was properly encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't think FFV1 supports interlace flagging. I used that command line on an interlaced YUY2 source and the resulting MKV file was flagged progressive. But the since YUY2 doesn't subsample chroma vertically it doesn't matter. You can treat the video as interlaced down the line and it works fine. Changing the command line to use libx264 instead of ffv1 gave a video that was flagged interlaced (MBAFF, TFF) and was properly encoded.
    It does appear that way, which seems strange for what is supposed to be an archive codec, lots of archive footage is going to be interlaced. As I say looking at the output it is still interlaced, but it may confuse someone down the line if everything reports it to be progressive, sadly not everyone properly analyses footage before editing it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FFV1 flags interlaced videos in version 3. You must used older version.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
    Can you provide an example? I'm using V3 and I can't force it to set an interlace flag.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -c:v ffv1 -level 3
    Was in my input.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then your input is not flagged as interlaced. ildct/ilme flags does not make sense as FFV1 does not use (I)DCT or motion estimation at all.
    Try to mark your input as interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then your input is not flagged as interlaced. ildct/ilme flags does not make sense as FFV1 does not use (I)DCT or motion estimation at all.
    Try to mark your input as interlaced.
    Ok, how would you change my input then?

ffmpeg -i "INPUT" -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -c:v ffv1 -level 3 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -top 1 -flags +ilme+ildct "OUTPUT"
    Does the -top 1 flag need to go right after the input file?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Richardpl is correct. I just tried it with an interlaced DV AVI file and an interlaced MPEG 2 file. MediaInfo reported the output MKV files as interlaced with the correct field order.

ffmpeg.exe -i "DVInterlaced.avi" -c:v ffv1 -level 3 "DVInterlaced.mkv"
    ffmpeg.exe -i "interlaced.m2v" -c:v ffv1 -level 3 "interlaced.mkv"

I checked the resulting files and there were no problems with the interlacing.

I tried with an AviSynth script as input (interlaced YUY2 output) but ffmpeg didn't recognize that as interlaced. I wasn't able to figure out how to convince it that source was interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Killer3737 View Post
    Does the -top 1 flag need to go right after the input file?
    Before input file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Richardpl is correct. I just tried it with an interlaced DV AVI file and an interlaced MPEG 2 file. MediaInfo reported the output MKV files as interlaced with the correct field order.

ffmpeg.exe -i "DVInterlaced.avi" -c:v ffv1 -level 3 "DVInterlaced.mkv"
    ffmpeg.exe -i "interlaced.m2v" -c:v ffv1 -level 3 "interlaced.mkv"

I checked the resulting files and there were no problems with the interlacing.

I tried with an AviSynth script as input (interlaced YUY2 output) but ffmpeg didn't recognize that as interlaced. I wasn't able to figure out how to convince it that source was interlaced.
    Yeah, I'm finding the same. Other interlaced input is recognised but not my lossless captures, which are UtVideo YUV422 or HuffYUV YUV422 interlaced.

I think unless I can find a solution where these are correctly marked as interlaced I'll just leave them in those formats for now. I was only encoding them to FFV1 because it's open source and theoretically more future proof than HuffYUV or UtVideo.
    Quote Quote  
  14. ffv1 supports AR flagging too (since these are VHS caps , -aspect 4:3 is probably appropriate) .

For some types of inputs (like avs for example) flagging before the -i doesn't work for some reason

=> The clunky workaround for this used to be piping ffmpeg to ffmpeg, flagging the 1st instance . I don't know if there is a more elegant solution these days

You'd have to feed audio using a second -i and using -map, since a yuv4mpegpipe only carries 1 video stream (no audio)

eg. (assuming avs carries audio, but you can replace with whatever)

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.avs -top 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | ffmpeg -i - -i input.avs -map 0:0 -map 1:1 -c:v ffv1 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -aspect 4:3 output.mkv
    If you check with ffmpeg/ffprobe or mediainfo, you will see interlace and AR is preserved

It might be more "future proof" at least in terms of open source tools, but unfortunately compatibility is still very low with other "professional" programs like NLE's etc...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    ffv1 supports AR flagging too (since these are VHS caps , -aspect 4:3 is probably appropriate) .

For some types of inputs (like avs for example) flagging before the -i doesn't work for some reason

=> The clunky workaround for this used to be piping ffmpeg to ffmpeg, flagging the 1st instance . I don't know if there is a more elegant solution these days

You'd have to feed audio using a second -i and using -map, since a yuv4mpegpipe only carries 1 video stream (no audio)

eg. (assuming avs carries audio, but you can replace with whatever)

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.avs -top 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | ffmpeg -i - -i input.avs -map 0:0 -map 1:1 -c:v ffv1 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -aspect 4:3 output.mkv
    If you check with ffmpeg/ffprobe or mediainfo, you will see interlace and AR is preserved

It might be more "future proof" at least in terms of open source tools, but unfortunately compatibility is still very low with other "professional" programs like NLE's etc...
    No joy for me with that one, output is a green mess and still reported as progressive.

Here is a sample if you/anyone wants to try it and get an output recognised as interlaced.

123MB, YUV422 UtVideo Interlaced.
    https://mega.nz/#!Flxz1bTZ!0iR3rf92e7OQK3OlFrH8NFWWprzzOnaqyaAA6BxSbow
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Killer3737 View Post
    No joy for me with that one, output is a green mess and still reported as progressive.

Here is a sample if you/anyone wants to try it and get an output recognised as interlaced.

123MB, YUV422 UtVideo Interlaced.
    https://mega.nz/#!Flxz1bTZ!0iR3rf92e7OQK3OlFrH8NFWWprzzOnaqyaAA6BxSbow

works ok here

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : FFV1
    Format version : Version 3.4
    Format settings, GOP : N=1
    Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / FFV1
    Duration : 15 s 0 ms
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Writing library : Lavc58.22.101 ffv1
    coder_type : Range Coder
    MaxSlicesCount : 24
    ErrorDetectionType : Per slice

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : FLAC
    Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
    Codec ID : A_FLAC
    Duration : 14 s 994 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Writing library : Lavc58.22.101 flac

ffprobe excerpt
    Stream #0:0, 1, 1/1000: Video: ffv1, 1 reference frame (FFV1 / 0x31564646),
    yuv422p(top coded first (swapped)), 720x576, 0/1, SAR 16:15 DAR 4:3, 25 fps, 25
    tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc (default)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm strange, must be an issue my end then. To confirm, this was your input for that file?

ffmpeg -i sample.avi -top 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | ffmpeg -i - -i sample.avi -map 0:0 -map 1:1 -c:v ffv1 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -aspect 4:3 out.mkv
    When I use that I get this error in ffmpeg (v. 4.0.2)

Thread message queue blocking; consider raising the thread_queue_size option (current value: 8)
    pipe:: Invalid data found when processing input
    And the output looks like this

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/hE8NQVv.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  18. commandline looks the same unless there was a typo somewhere

this is what I used exactly (copy/paste)
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i sample.avi -top 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | ffmpeg -i - -i sample.avi -map 0:0 -map 1:1 -c:v ffv1 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -aspect 4:3 output.mkv
    Maybe update your ffmpeg ? I used zeranoe's windows build , maybe a few weeks old. Maybe your ffmpeg binary wasn't compiled with updated utvideo library ?

It plays ok with ffplay, other media players
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    commandline looks the same unless there was a typo somewhere

this is what I used exactly (copy/paste)
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i sample.avi -top 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | ffmpeg -i - -i sample.avi -map 0:0 -map 1:1 -c:v ffv1 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -aspect 4:3 output.mkv
    Maybe update your ffmpeg ? I used zeranoe's windows build , maybe a few weeks old. Maybe your ffmpeg binary wasn't compiled with updated utvideo library ?

It plays ok with ffplay, other media players
    I updated ffmpeg to the latest from zeranoe. With the release build, 4.0.2 I still got the progressive labelled output and the lav version was older:

Scan type : Progressive
    Writing library : Lavc58.18.100 ffv1
    With the latest nightly, I do get the same as you, interlaced and Lav version Lavc58.24.101, but the output still looks like that, with the error messages.

I'll have to do some investigating to see what my personal issue is, but thanks for giving the general solution.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Killer3737 View Post

With the latest nightly, I do get the same as you, interlaced and Lav version Lavc58.24.101, but the output still looks like that, with the error messages.
    Green output ? in ffplay too ? Not all players/decoders support ffv1 1.3 . Check the output in some updated players with updated decoders too. Recent ffplay should decode ok

do you still get the pipe error ?

I get the thread_queue message too (not the pipe error) , but shouldn't affect the actual output, just the processing speed .
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, I'm finding the same. Other interlaced input is recognised but not my lossless captures, which are UtVideo YUV422 or HuffYUV YUV422 interlaced.
    This is my experience as well. My Lagarith/AVI captures do not carry an interlace flag so the FFV1/MKV output does not, either. It appears that FFmpeg only passes through the input flag and provides no way to force it for this codec.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

Green output ? in ffplay too ? Not all players/decoders support ffv1 1.3 . Check the output in some updated players with updated decoders too. Recent ffplay should decode ok

do you still get the pipe error ?

I get the thread_queue message too (not the pipe error) , but shouldn't affect the actual output, just the processing speed .
    Yeah, green, and still the pipe error. It wasn't green when doing it directly, only with your pipe workaround. Definitely an encode issue, because the size/bitrate is smaller.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Are you calling the correct ffmpeg version ?

Try specifying explicit path to the ffmpeg.exe binary.

(The version I used was Aug11 - ffmpeg-20180811-00ae349-win64-static.zip)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you calling the correct ffmpeg version ?

Try specifying explicit path to the ffmpeg.exe binary.

(The version I used was Aug11 - ffmpeg-20180811-00ae349-win64-static.zip)
    Yep, it's in my PATH, the latest nightly. Here is the entire output:

ffmpeg version N-91666-g70d2bab80b Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
    built with gcc 8.2.1 (GCC) 20180813
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-sdl2 --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-zlib --enable-gmp --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libmysofa --enable-libspeex --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-libmfx --enable-amf --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-nvenc --enable-nvdec --enable-dxva2 --enable-avisynth
    libavutil 56. 19.100 / 56. 19.100
    libavcodec 58. 24.101 / 58. 24.101
    libavformat 58. 17.103 / 58. 17.103
    libavdevice 58. 4.101 / 58. 4.101
    libavfilter 7. 26.100 / 7. 26.100
    libswscale 5. 2.100 / 5. 2.100
    libswresample 3. 2.100 / 3. 2.100
    libpostproc 55. 2.100 / 55. 2.100
    Guessed Channel Layout for Input Stream #0.1 : stereo
    Input #0, avi, from 'sample.avi':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf56.19.100
    Duration: 00:00:15.00, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 69004 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: utvideo (ULY2 / 0x32594C55), yuv422p(bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 720x576, 67629 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
    Stream #0:1: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1536 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (utvideo (native) -> wrapped_avframe (native))
    Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
    Output #0, yuv4mpegpipe, to 'pipe:':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf58.17.103
    Stream #0:0: Video: wrapped_avframe, yuv422p(top first), 720x576, q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavc58.24.101 wrapped_avframe
    frame= 375 fps=200 q=-0.0 Lsize= 303752kB time=00:00:15.00 bitrate=165889.2kbits/s speed=8.02x
    video:196kB audio:0kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 154647.406250%
    ffmpeg version N-91666-g70d2bab80b Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
    built with gcc 8.2.1 (GCC) 20180813
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-sdl2 --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-zlib --enable-gmp --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libmysofa --enable-libspeex --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-libmfx --enable-amf --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-nvenc --enable-nvdec --enable-dxva2 --enable-avisynth
    libavutil 56. 19.100 / 56. 19.100
    libavcodec 58. 24.101 / 58. 24.101
    libavformat 58. 17.103 / 58. 17.103
    libavdevice 58. 4.101 / 58. 4.101
    libavfilter 7. 26.100 / 7. 26.100
    libswscale 5. 2.100 / 5. 2.100
    libswresample 3. 2.100 / 3. 2.100
    libpostproc 55. 2.100 / 55. 2.100
    Input #0, yuv4mpegpipe, from 'pipe:':
    Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0:0: Video: rawvideo (Y42B / 0x42323459), yuv422p(top first), 720x576, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
    Guessed Channel Layout for Input Stream #1.1 : stereo
    Input #1, avi, from 'sample.avi':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf56.19.100
    Stream #1:0: Video: utvideo (ULY2 / 0x32594C55), yuv422p(bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 720x576, 67629 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
    Stream #1:1: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1536 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (rawvideo (native) -> ffv1 (native))
    Stream #1:1 -> #0:1 (pcm_s16le (native) -> flac (native))
    Output #0, matroska, to 'output.mkv':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf58.17.103
    Stream #0:0: Video: ffv1 (FFV1 / 0x31564646), yuv422p(top coded first (swapped)), 720x576 [SAR 16:15 DAR 4:3], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 25 fps, 1k tbn, 25 tbc
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavc58.24.101 ffv1
    Stream #0:1: Audio: flac ([172][241][0][0] / 0xF1AC), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/s
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavc58.24.101 flac
    [yuv4mpegpipe @ 000001617dc9b640] Thread message queue blocking; consider raising the thread_queue_size option (current value: 8)
    pipe:: Invalid data found when processing input=00:00:13.92 bitrate=52394.1kbits/s speed=3.45x
    frame= 375 fps= 86 q=-0.0 Lsize= 98806kB time=00:00:14.99 bitrate=53982.6kbits/s speed=3.43x
    video:97430kB audio:1355kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 0.020879%
    Quote Quote  
  25. <edit>
    Mine is 121MB. no pipe error. Weird

Code:
    F:\_DOWNLOADS\sample>ffmpeg -i sample.avi -top 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | ffmpeg -i -
     -i sample.avi -map 0:0 -map 1:1 -c:v ffv1 -threads 8 -coder 1 -context 1 -g 1 -
    slices 24 -slicecrc 1 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 -aspect 4:3 output.mkv -y
    ffmpeg version N-91594-g00ae3498bf Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers

built with gcc 7.3.1 (GCC) 20180812
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-sdl2 --enable-fontconfi
    g --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-lib
    freetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amr
    wb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --
    enable-libsoxr --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvpx --enable-l
    ibwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --
    enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-zlib --enable-gmp --enable-libvidstab --en
    able-libvorbis --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libmysofa --enable-libspeex --en
    able-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-libmfx --enable-amf --enable-ffnvcodec --e
    nable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-nvenc --enable-nvdec --enable-dxva2 --enab
    le-avisynth
      libavutil      56. 19.100 / 56. 19.100
      libavcodec     58. 22.101 / 58. 22.101
      libavformat    58. 17.101 / 58. 17.101
      libavdevice    58.  4.101 / 58.  4.101
      libavfilter     7. 26.100 /  7. 26.100
      libswscale      5.  2.100 /  5.  2.100
      libswresample   3.  2.100 /  3.  2.100
      libpostproc    55.  2.100 / 55.  2.100
    Guessed Channel Layout for Input Stream #0.1 : stereo
    Input #0, avi, from 'sample.avi':
    ffmpeg version N-91594-g00ae3498bf  Metadata:
     Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers    encoder         :
    Lavf56.19.10  built with gcc 7.3.1 (GCC) 20180812
    0  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-sdl2 --enable-fontconf
    ig --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-li
    bfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-am
    rwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy -
    -enable-libsoxr --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvpx --enable-
    libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 -
    -enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-zlib --enable-gmp --enable-libvidstab --e
    nable-libvorbis --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libmysofa --enable-libspeex --e
    nable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-libmfx --enable-amf --enable-ffnvcodec --
    enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-nvenc --enable-nvdec --enable-dxva2 --ena
    ble-avisynth

libavutil      56. 19.100 / 56. 19.100  Duration:
    00:00:15.0  libavcodec     58. 22.101 / 58. 22.1010
    , start:  libavformat    58. 17.101 / 58. 17.101
    0.000000  libavdevice    58.  4.101 / 58.  4.101
    , bitrate:  libavfilter     7. 26.100 /  7. 26.100
    69004 kb/s  libswscale      5.  2.100 /  5.  2.100

Stream #0:0: Video: utvideo (ULY2 / 0x32594C55), yuv422p(bt470bg/unknown/unk
    nown), 720x576, 67629 kb/  libswresample   3.  2.100 /  3.  2.100s,
    25 fps,   libpostproc    55.  2.100 / 55.  2.10025 tbr,
    25 tbn, 25 tbc
        Stream #0:1: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
    , 1536 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (utvideo (native) -> wrapped_avframe (native))
    Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
    Output #0, yuv4mpegpipe, to 'pipe:':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : Lavf58.17.101
        Stream #0:0: Video: wrapped_avframe, yuv422p(top first), 720x576, q=2-31, 20
    0 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
        Metadata:
          encoder         : Lavc58.22.101 wrapped_avframe
    Input #0, yuv4mpegpipe, from 'pipe:':
      Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
        Stream #0:0: Video: rawvideo (Y42B / 0x42323459), yuv422p(top first), 720x57
    6, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
    Guessed Channel Layout for Input Stream #1.1 : stereo
    Input #1, avi, from 'sample.avi':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : Lavf56.19.100
        Stream #1:0: Video: utvideo (ULY2 / 0x32594C55), yuv422p(bt470bg/unknown/unk
    nown), 720x576, 67629 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
        Stream #1:1: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
    , 1536 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (rawvideo (native) -> ffv1 (native))
      Stream #1:1 -> #0:1 (pcm_s16le (native) -> flac (native))
    Output #0, matroska, to 'output.mkv':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : Lavf58.17.101
        Stream #0:0: Video: ffv1 (FFV1 / 0x31564646), yuv422p(top coded first (swapp
    ed)), 720x576 [SAR 16:15 DAR 4:3], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 25 fps, 1k tbn, 25 tbc
        Metadata:
          encoder         : Lavc58.22.101 ffv1
        Stream #0:1: Audio: flac ([172][241][0][0] / 0xF1AC), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16,
     128 kb/s
        Metadata:
          encoder         : Lavc58.22.101 flac
    [yuv4mpegpipe @ 00000031cd5fbec0] Thread message queue blocking; consider raisin
    g the thread_queue_size option (current value: 8)
    frame=   13 fps=0.0 q=-0.0 size=   10530kB time=00:00:00.52 bitrate=165890.0kbit
    frame=    7 fps=0.0 q=-0.0 size=    2234kB time=00:00:00.38 bitrate=47665.1kbits
    frame=   51 fps= 51 q=-0.0 size=   41310kB time=00:00:02.04 bitrate=165889.4kbit
    frame=   47 fps= 46 q=-0.0 size=   16017kB time=00:00:01.92 bitrate=68337.7kbits
    frame=   94 fps= 63 q=-0.0 size=   76141kB time=00:00:03.76 bitrate=165889.3kbit
    frame=   93 fps= 61 q=-0.0 size=   30872kB time=00:00:03.74 bitrate=67549.5kbits
    frame=  147 fps= 73 q=-0.0 size=  119071kB time=00:00:05.88 bitrate=165889.3kbit
    frame=  146 fps= 72 q=-0.0 size=   46323kB time=00:00:05.85 bitrate=64801.1kbits
    frame=  175 fps= 70 q=-0.0 size=  141751kB time=00:00:07.00 bitrate=165889.3kbit
    frame=  174 fps= 69 q=-0.0 size=   54450kB time=00:00:07.00 bitrate=63649.4kbits
    frame=  227 fps= 76 q=-0.0 size=  183871kB time=00:00:09.08 bitrate=165889.2kbit
    frame=  225 fps= 75 q=-0.0 size=   70288kB time=00:00:09.02 bitrate=63807.7kbits
    frame=  275 fps= 79 q=-0.0 size=  222752kB time=00:00:11.00 bitrate=165889.2kbit
    frame=  272 fps= 77 q=-0.0 size=   86658kB time=00:00:10.94 bitrate=64866.5kbits
    frame=  318 fps= 79 q=-0.0 size=  257582kB time=00:00:12.72 bitrate=165889.2kbit
    frame=  314 fps= 78 q=-0.0 size=  100826kB time=00:00:12.57 bitrate=65678.1kbits
    frame=  356 fps= 79 q=-0.0 size=  288362kB time=00:00:14.24 bitrate=165889.2kbit
    frame=  352 fps= 78 q=-0.0 size=  115165kB time=00:00:14.11 bitrate=66852.9kbits
    frame=  375 fps= 79 q=-0.0 Lsize=  303752kB time=00:00:15.00 bitrate=165889.2kbi
    ts/s speed=3.16x
    video:196kB audio:0kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing o
    verhead: 154647.406250%
    frame=  375 fps= 78 q=-0.0 Lsize=  124589kB time=00:00:14.99 bitrate=68069.2kbit
    s/s speed=3.13x
    video:123213kB audio:1355kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB mu
    xing overhead: 0.016563%
    Quote Quote  
  26. Not sure what' s going on, but check the pipe output in ffplay - is it "green" for you ?

Code:
    ffmpeg -i sample.avi -top 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | ffplay -i -
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT:

Heh, well this was ridiculously stupid. I'd been running all of these through powershell, I thought to try old Command Prompt instead and hey presto, it's fine.
    Last edited by Killer3737; 23rd Aug 2018 at 14:53.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Killer3737 View Post
    EDIT:

Heh, well this was ridiculously stupid. I'd been running all of these through powershell, I thought to try old Command Prompt instead and hey presto, it's fine.

Just curious - Why would that make a difference in powershell ?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT:

Just curious - Why would that make a difference in powershell ?
    I have no idea. Either my machine is really borked, or Windows being Windows I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for this, poisondeathray! I was concerned that the pipe might change video data but I ran framemd5 comparisons on a plain MKV and a piped MKV and they are video-identical.
    Quote Quote