VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. One of the Youtube members and I are using the same capture card in addition to the fact that we both use component leads. But we both get different colour graphics and smoothness. Mine is a little sharper and has more saturation. I tried to adjust the setting, but it does not give exactly the same as his one. This is my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM8vJAux3IM and here is the other one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81BW2tYuo6c. Can anyone tell me if there's other factors that affect recording?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Analog always varies from device to device and cap to cap. You upscaled/uploaded 1080p, the other guy uploaded 480p. Youtube always allocates more bitrate to HD video. That's why your video is sharper.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Image
    [Attachment 46546 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 46547 - Click to enlarge]

Even when I upload it as the same resolution, mine still has different colour graphics. Is it something has to do with rendering or pc graphic card?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You're looking at only one component in the processing chain. Same source, same cables? Same processing, deinterlacing, capture codec? There's much more than the capture card to be considered. And even then, don't expect an exact degree of sameness even if the two entire setups are similar.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. The proc amps on capture devices exist because analog video capture is always imprecise. No two devices produce the same output. Even a single device will produce different output depending on age, temperature, cables, etc. No two capture devices will produce the exact same results even if their settings are the same and the sources are identical.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    What are you capturing from?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Roxio Game Capture HD Pro
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have just found the guy I was referring to uses Virtualdub for cropping, resizing, and deinterlacing video. I use that too. In Virtualdub, there are plenty of colour depth settings. I have no idea on what these are. Can somebody tell me what colour setting should I choose and which one gives me closest result to his video? My video is darker and more saturated and his is slightly brighter and deeper colour graphics.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    I have just found the guy I was referring to uses Virtualdub for cropping, resizing, and deinterlacing video.
    What a shame. Makes me shudder to think of the results. Most would suggest Avisynth.

Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    In Virtualdub, there are plenty of colour depth settings. I have no idea on what these are. Can somebody tell me what colour setting should I choose and which one gives me closest result to his video? My video is darker and more saturated and his is slightly brighter and deeper colour graphics.
    Color depth is unrelated to saturation or brightness adjustments. The YouTube encodes discussed here were encoded at a color depth of YV12. There is a table of the color depths that Avisynth can handle in the wiki page at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Convert. Virtualdub can handle most of them and a few others . If you want to know about colour depth and colorspaces, try this video which has several good links for greater detail: Introduction to Color Space.

No one can advise about color settings because we have no idea what your video looks like.

No matter what any conspiracy theorist winger tells you, Google is your friend.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 8th Sep 2018 at 08:38.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  10. Generally, you want to avoid unnecessary colorspace conversions. Colorspace conversions may lead to loss of accuracy and blurring of colors. Your source is probably interlaced rec.709 YV12. But many VirtualDub filters work only in RGB so you may not be able to avoid converting to RGB. In VirtualDub's Filter dialog enable Show Image Formats to see what colorspace each filter is working in.

VirtualDub doesn't handle interlaced YV12 properly. It will irreversibly screw up the chroma when it converts to RGB (it blends the colors of the two fields together). You can sometimes avoid this by requesting the source filter output YUY2 or RGB instead of YV12. It depends on whether the source filter can provide that or not. If your source filter can't output YUY2 or RGB you should use a different source filter.

Your sample HD images may show a difference caused by incorrect rec.601 vs. rec.709 color decoding.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/329866-incorrect-collor-display-in-video-playback#post2045830

VirtualDub generally uses a rec.601 matrix to convert between YUV and RGB. The greens in your sample images don't look different enough to be the wrong matrix.

If you upload an RGB format video to youtube they will convert it to YV12 with a rec.709 matrix before encoding.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Sep 2018 at 10:40.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Can pc graphic card affect video capture colour graphics?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The graphics card and driver can effect what you see on-screen. But it doesn't effect the actual captured video file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Then is it something to do with method of processing?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hello all. I know it's an old post, but I'm still working on getting the colour display I want. I know video display I've posted above have different texture. Would chroma change help me get the same display?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Changing the chroma doesn't change texture, it changes the colors. The first picture has more saturated colors than the second. So you can increase the saturation of the second to match the first.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm trying to match the second one. I found FixChromaBleeding filter does reduce saturation level and colour correct video. Would that work?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I suggest you fix the problem where it starts. Adjust the video proc amp in your capture software to get the colors right to start with.
    Quote Quote