VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Folks,

I am a rookie who is stumbling through Divinci Resolve and watching "how to "videos on youtube. I record comedy shows of my students then send them to them.
    Currently I have an MP4 - recorded on my Panasonic HV750 handy cam, which is 6GB large. It is obviously to big for most file sharing platforms.
    Google Drive wont play it saying its processing. My question is how do I use the rendering settings on divinci to reduce its size and quality so I can easily send this file to my students or host it on youtube. I have attempted this a couple of times already, but something isnt right - it keeps saying its going to take 9hrs to complete!!! A normal download of this file takes 2 hours so I can't understand this. Plus if this is just how it is, then it makes the process totally unsustainable. I'm eager to hear if there is anything I can do, any help appreciated!

James
    NZ
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can't help you specifically with Resolve, but...
    Originally Posted by BaseJump Improv View Post
    how do I use the rendering settings on divinci to reduce its size and quality so I can easily send this file to my students or host it on youtube. I have attempted this a couple of times already, but something isnt right - it keeps saying its going to take 9hrs to complete!!! A normal download of this file takes 2 hours so I can't understand this.
    There's nothing unusual about that. Re(rendering) takes time. Use faster compression settings for faster encoding. With some codecs there can be a 100 fold difference in encoding speed depending on the settings. Generally, the slower the encoding the better the quality.

Use a lower bitrate for a smaller file size. So if your source video is 20 Mb/sec and you re-encode at 5 Mb/sec you will get a file that's about 1/4 the size. If you use too low a bitrate quality will suffer. One way to counter that is to reduce the resolution, say from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 or 960x540. When you do that you are trading away resolution to get better quality of what's left.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback, I have checked the settings and I'm currently rendering at 5mb per second, 720p. So for now I guess it's just patience.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by BaseJump Improv View Post
    It is obviously to big for most file sharing platforms.
    Obviously? Obviously not. If for YouTube, you can upload the whole 6 GB and YouTube will reencode it at a much lower bitrate and the final size on their site might be as low as 1GB. I don't know the resolution or length so I don't know to any degree of accuracy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good. Cheers
    Quote Quote