VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

Is it possible to do this? I'm a rookie.

I'm looking for a visual way to convert a video and remove the interlacing with QTGMC, the problem is that I've never used this filter and no idea how to install it, the Avisynth documentation is very confusing, I appreciate any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. HandBrake doesn't incorporate QTGMC or AviSynth. It can be made to open AviSynth scripts with a virtual file system (avfs) but then you still need to know about AviSynth "programming" and QTGMC installation and avfs installation/usage.

For a beginner that only wants GUI/ease of use I would recommend either:
    A.) HandBrake deinterlacing (lower quality than QTGMC but easy to use and often much faster) or
    B.) use QTGMC through a different software, namely StaxRip which includes all the plugins.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks sneaker, I'll go try it and tell you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    sneaker

StaxRip was very useful to me, it's just what I was looking for, but I can't find the toon filter, can you tell me how to install it?

And one last query I need to set up to keep the same video quality?
    I'm not looking to reduce the size or anything else just to keep the quality, of course, I don't want it to be bigger than the original either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. QTGMC is usually not the right choice for animation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, perhaps you could provide a 10 second sample cut from your DVD (or other) source? If from a DVD, DGIndex can be used to cut a small section for upload here.

You can find Toon, together with the other required filters and example of its use at the AviSynth Wiki. Always look there first when looking for something.

If you want your version to be the same size as the source, find out the bitrate of the source and use that when reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    QTGMC is usually not the right choice for animation.
    But it works and takes the interlacing out. In your opinion, which one do you recommend?

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yes, perhaps you could provide a 10 second sample cut from your DVD (or other) source? If from a DVD, DGIndex can be used to cut a small section for upload here.
    Sure.
    https://mega.nz/#!5A5zXT7I!PynDVJ43KV1e3Yc24bTaycn6zfTyLjd7nKVtBCCU4CY

You can find Toon, together with the other required filters and example of its use at the AviSynth Wiki. Always look there first when looking for something.
    It tells me to download these two files Toon-v1.1.dll and aWarpSharp.dll and I can use those dll in StaxRip? if that's how I set it up?

If you want your version to be the same size as the source, find out the bitrate of the source and use that when reencoding.
    It's a series and every episode has a different bitrate, I was hoping to set that to 0 but it's not possible.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is also Hybrid, that contains very much avisynth and vaporsynth filters. I think almost all. Its download size is more than 2,5 times bigger than staxrip. But use what suits you best.
    Also rating of Hybrid is lower than Staxrip, but it means nothing really. On other hand Staxrip is year old and Hybrid is very recent.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Bernix

Before I published this thread I tried Hybrid but for reasons I don't know I sometimes didn't want to work with QTGMC and when Hybrid worked, it didn't apply any deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    there can be plenty of reasons. But most probably is -> you can use Avisynth or Vapoursyth but not both. Also you have to say to program which one you will use.
    But I know, it can be confusing bit, but when you become familiar with it is it quite easy. Also I expect that all plugins or filtes are up to date.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ordinarily, for that kind of material you perform a simple IVTC.

It tells me to download these two files Toon-v1.1.dll and aWarpSharp.dll and I can use those dll in StaxRip? if that's how I set it up?
    I don't use StaxRip. I assume it has ways to edit the AviSynth script it gives you. I don't see where you really need to use Toon.

It's a series and every episode has a different bitrate, I was hoping to set that to 0 but it's not possible.
    The size when using 0 will be huge. You don't want to use that. Try 18. It'll give you pretty good quality.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Ordinarily, for that kind of material you perform a simple IVTC.
    I agree. But this particular video has a lot of problems which make an inverse telecine difficult. The show is basically made on film at 24 fps and telecined to 59.94 fields per second. But shots were slowed or sped up after the video was telecined. This means it can't be inverse telecined perfectly to the original film frames at 23.976 fps. In addition, there clip has blended chroma from interlaced YV12 being handled incorrectly as progressive YV12 at some point. And finally, there are lots of frames where there are very small motions -- mostly of the character's mouths. TFM often doesn't see the comb artifacts on these shots. You can play with the threshold values but if you lower them enough to catch the combing of the mouth movements it screws up other parts of the video. About the best I could come up with was:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("1GB_track1_eng.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 
    AssumeBFF()
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    Interleave(TFM(field=1, mode=5), TFM(field=0, mode=5)) 
    vInverse()
    SRestore(frate=24.0)
    I would check this on some smooth panning shots to see how well it works there.

Sometimes on badly handled clips like this I'll just use QTGMC and just encode at 59.94 fps. That way it won't be any more jerky than the source.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Code:
    Mpeg2Source("1GB_track1_eng.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 
    AssumeBFF()
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    Interleave(TFM(field=1, mode=5), TFM(field=0, mode=5)) 
    vInverse()
    SRestore(frate=24.0)
    Sometimes on badly handled clips like this I'll just use QTGMC and just encode at 59.94 fps. That way it won't be any more jerky than the source.
    I forgot to say that I sent two versions, one of 327MB and the other of 1GB, from what I see in your code you work with the 1GB version, the 327 MB is the one that doesn't work?

And by the way, where do I put that command?

Ordinarily, for that kind of material you perform a simple IVTC.

I don't use StaxRip. I assume it has ways to edit the AviSynth script it gives you. I don't see where you really need to use Toon.

The size when using 0 will be huge. You don't want to use that. Try 18. It'll give you pretty good quality.
    I need to use toon to make the black lines a little thicker. Putting 0 at least in handbrake retains the same size of the video I thought StaxRip would be the same.

I'll make one thing clear, I'm looking to use Toon to make the lines thicker, I'm looking to remove the interlacing, BUT I'd rather use the 327MB version because the 1GB version doesn't have all the episodes, I just published it in case the 327MB version didn't work. I don't care what program they recommend I use as long as it is effective in my case AND as long as they can explain to me how to do it because I don't really know much about it. They told me to use Toon and QTGMC and here they see me asking them how I do that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. They? Who's "they"? And why give us an already reencoded MKV with which to work? If you care so much about it, why not get the DVD?

Working with anime can be very difficult. It's not for AviSynth beginners. Why not have "they" show you how to do it?

But shots were slowed or sped up after the video was telecined. This means it can't be inverse telecined perfectly to the original film frames at 23.976 fps. In addition, there clip has blended chroma from interlaced YV12 being handled incorrectly as progressive YV12 at some point. And finally, there are lots of frames where there are very small motions -- mostly of the character's mouths. TFM often doesn't see the comb artifacts on these shots. You can play with the threshold values but if you lower them enough to catch the combing of the mouth movements it screws up other parts of the video.
    Right, I noticed that as well (small interlacings after IVTC). Either use Vinverse or lower the CThresh a bit, and perhaps have QTGMC do the deinterlacing when necessary, rather than the included TDeint. Yes, it can always just be bobbed but I almost always prefer IVTC over bobbing.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by curiosport View Post
    the 327 MB is the one that doesn't work?
    That one was already deinterlaced, badly.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    That one was already deinterlaced, badly.
    Okay, I'll see if I can use the 1GB, so where's that command to put it?

They? Who's "they"?
    They="Another forum that wasn't very helpful" hahaha.

And why give us an already reencoded MKV with which to work? If you care so much about it, why not get the DVD?
    I didn't know what the problem was with the mkv I provided. Do you know where I could download the futurama DVD? or are you telling me to buy?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by curiosport View Post
    I didn't know what the problem was with the mkv I provided.
    The problem is it's been reencoded already. It's not as good as the source DVD. And, as near as I can tell, the encoder didn't have a clue.

And now you're going to reencode it yet again.

or are you telling me to buy?
    If you want the best possible quality with which to work and don't want to put this site in jeopardy by asking for help with illegally downloaded television shows, then, yes, I'm suggesting you buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Futurama-Complete-Collection-Seasons-1-8/dp/B0753824B8/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

Is a very high quality deinterlacer, but high quality also means slow

I've used TDEINT() in the past and still use it for any interlace sources I come across. Its old, but very fast and works. Maybe not very high bandwidth sources or very high resolutions, but its very small and incredibly fast

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=82264

You could also try YadifMOD or YadifMOD2
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

Is a very high quality deinterlacer, but high quality also means slow

You could also try YadifMOD or YadifMOD2
    Thank you. I found the manual helpful.

What other filters are there to darken the lines? If it works on StaxRip better.
    Quote Quote  
  20. That video doesn't need line darkening. But... FastLineDarken(Mod), Hysteria...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    That video doesn't need line darkening. But... FastLineDarken(Mod), Hysteria...
    The DVD if you need
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to suggest those as well. Toon seems to be the easiest and fastest with just one simple parameter

Hysteria is a function/script but has a lot of control over what lines get changed, I tend to stick with Toon as its quick and simple
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Is it pure or not? What would you do to make it look good?

I'm getting a little familiar with the Commands.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I was going to suggest those as well. Toon seems to be the easiest and fastest with just one simple parameter

Hysteria is a function/script but has a lot of control over what lines get changed, I tend to stick with Toon as its quick and simple
    But I can't Toon use on StaxRip, it says:
    Canno't 32 bit filter DLL in 64 bit Avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by curiosport View Post
    But I can't Toon use on StaxRip, it says:
    Canno't 32 bit filter DLL in 64 bit Avisynth
    It's telling you exactly what the problem is. 64 bit editors require 64 bit AviSynth and 64 bit filters. 32 bit editors require 32 bit AviSynth and 32 bit plugins. You need to find a 64 bit version of toon to use with 64 bit Staxrip. I haven't seen a 64 bit version of Toon.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by curiosport View Post
    Is it pure or not? What would you do to make it look good?
    Another poorly deinterlaced version.
    Quote Quote