VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i have a ati radeon r7 200 graphics card for a while now I cannot enter my bios when my hdmi cord is pluged into my card. For my enter my bios i gotta unplug my hdmi and plug in vga port. I am so sick of doing that. How can I enter my bios with hdmi only? I want to be able to disable vga port on my card if possible to use hdmi all the time. Any idea how to do this? I been looking for months for help and nothing. I use my hdmi all the time.

Ill have to login to my bios with my gigabytes motherboard. Is the fast startup located in bios? My os is windows 10. I got both connected to the ati card the vga cord and hdmi and I gotta unplug hdmi from the monitor and plug in the vga to the port on my monitor then i gotta select vga and reboot to access bios. I only turn off the screen as i change cables on it as the computer is still running.

I disabled the win 10 fast start up and did not help. I know when its in bios but when using hdmi biso screen is black. I cannot take the cmos its behind alot of stuff in my case starting with the graphics card is like blocking to get it it easy. My computer is custom built. So getting the cmos i would gotta take out some stuff to get to it so cmos removal not a option.

Any idea whats going on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    About the only setting in BIOS for video is to select a PCI slot or sometimes the on-board video GPU.
    I've never tried to use HDMI to boot into BIOS with my Gigabyte MBs, but it seems unlikely for BIOS viewing.

I think the MB will just use DVI or VGA.

And 'Fast Boot' is usually in BIOS, under the 'BIOS' column in my GB BIOS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As redwudz stated, you probably have to disable your onboard video in the BIOS and set your video card as the default display. Right now, your video card is probably seen by the BIOS as a secondary display and VGA as the primary, which is why you can switch displays without rebooting.

Note that once you set your video card as the primary display, if it fails, you'll probably have to reset the BIOS before the VGA port works again.

Also, if you're trying to speed up the time between power on and the BIOS or Windows Start screen, it may not make a difference since nothing will be displayed until the BIOS checks for and recognizes your video card.
    Last edited by lingyi; 16th Aug 2018 at 21:30. Reason: Clarity
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ill look again my bios but i forgot to add this my gigabytes motherboard does not have a vga port on it. So the vga and hdmi is all pluged into the the ati graphics card.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Understand. My video card has HDMI,DVI and VGA. But HDMI is a somewhat protected interface with HDCP handshaking. I don't think the MB BIOS video driver can handle that. But I very rarely need to access my BIOS settings once the PC is initially set up, so that's really not a problem.

My HDMI interface is only used for my video projector. I use DVI for my monitor and VGA from a second PC to my monitor.
    If you are using a TV as a monitor, then I can understand using HDMI. But HDMI is a PITA for some applications. It's really made for video, not PCs.

I was able to clone my W10 desktop to my HDMI projector so I have all my icons from my OS. But I don't use the HDMI interface for my day to day PC operations.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a monitor for my computer the only time i go into bios is to select my dvd drive to boot off of to like install linux with windows 10. I wonder if the computer as a boot menu i can select rather than going into bios to do that. My laptop i can hit a key to bring up boot menu. I wonder where to find out if my desktop has the same function.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    I use a monitor for my computer the only time i go into bios is to select my dvd drive to boot off of to like install linux with windows 10. I wonder if the computer as a boot menu i can select rather than going into bios to do that. My laptop i can hit a key to bring up boot menu. I wonder where to find out if my desktop has the same function.
    GOOGLE - enter bios with HDMI only, there are plenty of posts & youtube videos about the subject.
    Last edited by october262; 17th Aug 2018 at 03:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe this was already stated or I am missing something.

Now I had this Radeon HD 4600 many moons before the current hdmi connected monitor - then I required an adapter (supplied) to connect to the SVGA monitor.

With the current monitor the hdmi cable goes in to the video card (or a different adapter - I just do not exactly remember right now). But I can get in to the bios during the startup process (del key ?). If memory serves it is only a vga screen though.

To the OP. What is the purpose in having both vga and hdmi plugged in to your video card. 2 monitors ?. I fear there may be a conflict there all the same.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    october262 for months i been checking youtube and google on my issue way before i posted this and none of the videos or search ressults helped nor was my issue.

DB83 one card no adapter is plugged in to the card. Im using only one monitor. I can having both vga and hdmi pluged into my ati card at the same time. I don't think i remember if if i tried to to bios with both plugged into the monitor. My monitor supports both plugs on it to use.

Ill try more test later to see if im able to go into bios by vga without unplugging my hdmi card first. I just gotta select vga on my monitor and then reboot to try.
    Quote Quote  
  10. First, unplug the VGA cable, from the card, power off, reboot and test BIOS function.

Either the card is defaulting to VGA before OS loads, OR your monitor will not display the low resolution BIOS screen under HDMI.
    Quote Quote