VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HitFilm Express is a good and free video editor and also fairly easy to use
    but it doesn't have any scope to prevent to go overboard while tweaking..
    is their any way to add an histogram so i stay inside legal values ?

i once saw a little gui for pixel values just by pointing the mouse
    but i can't seam to remember what it was
    or any other tool (free) to monitor my moves .

having that kind of tool would really help my color corrections , thank you !!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    i once saw a little gui for pixel values just by pointing the mouse
    CSamp? I use it all the time.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/361379-VCR-Hi8-capture-tests-help-evaluate/page7#post2303973

Keep in mind that RGB on the screen is normally full range (0-255 for each component), whereas video YUV is usually limited range (16-235 for luma, 16-240 for chroma).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well..that's maybe not what i need .. Any HitFilm Express user here ? how do you do it ?

i'm also using Vegas movie studio platinum 14 ( no scopes their also)

I tried Davinci Resolve 12.5, Good with a (big) learning curve but i find HitFilm more pleasing to the eye

i messed my hitfilm instalation (those supplied with movie studio) so my HitFilm plugins won't work inside VegaS

I'm willing to try any freeware with good color correction(with scopes) (Kdenlive ? Shotcut? Openshot??)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    i'm also using Vegas movie studio platinum 14 ( no scopes their also)
    I think you need the pro version.
    https://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/526-colour-correction-too...sony-vegas-pro

Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    I'm willing to try any freeware with good color correction(with scopes) (Kdenlive ? Shotcut? Openshot??)
    I use AviSynth's Histogram() or VideoScope(). But it's hard to use since it's script based.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think i'll use HitFilm with no scopes just by the eye and remap it with avisynth (smoothadjust(smoothlevels)) and (coloryuv (analyse=true)) for 0-255 / 16-235 conversion

ideally i would like to stay in yv12 from start to end but seems color correction is always done in RGB (0-255)
    Last edited by smartel; 10th Aug 2018 at 09:10.
    Quote Quote