VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI everyone,

I have a 70's film on VHS video. It is in English but with Dutch subtitles on screen. If I transfer it to digital (transfer it to my DVD recorder hard drive and then upload to my computer) is there a way to remove the subtitles using some software or other? Is it possible? I've read a lot of confusing stuff on the web. Closed capture, open capture, line 21 encoding etc. Can someone give me a definitive answer please.

Hope someone can help. Regards, Goshawk22
    Quote Quote  
  2. I believe they are hard-coded with video - you can use general approach related to remove logos etc - perhaps with inpainting ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MSU also created plugin for VD. But not sure how effective it is. It needs stable and clean subtitles, not sure how VHS subs are stable. But you can try and play with settings.
    http://www.compression.ru/video/subtitles_removal/index_en.html
    cant not guarantee quality nor functionality.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think 'stable' refers to the image surrounding the sub-title rather than the sub itself. They appear to work by substituting that part of the picture from a frame that has no sub. If there is any movement then the result would be worse than leaving the sub there.

The other noted technique is to 'blur' the area containing the text.

I acquired some 'educational' vids from Holland in days gone by. But if you focus your vision correctly then subs are but a minor annoyance.
    Quote Quote