VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by svcdmaker View Post
    I have been using software and various techniques to remove all kinds of objectionable material from movies and TV shows for years. Manually scanning the SRT was one of the more cumbersome techniques. My now grown children have thanked me for it. I was surprised to see the massive negative response to the concept. How we raise and protect out children is our choice, not yours. There is a difference between what our children are exposed to outside our control and what filth we allow into our homes and other protected environments. Absolutely educate them into what is not appropriate. Options like what the OP is trying help us reinforce good parenting by not sending mixed signals.

I hope every person that did not like what is proposed is actively fighting against the FCC and congress for requiring editing movies shown on TV for content, and the broadcast industry editing for time. If you are not, leave the OP alone to do his work or at least still work with the intent of the website. I believe HELP is still part of the name.
    You're calling "E.T." filth?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The objectionable expression "penis-breath" in E.T. is a way to call someone a c-sucker. That being said, I don't think of sex as being filthy myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by svcdmaker View Post
    I have been using software and various techniques to remove all kinds of objectionable material from movies and TV shows for years. Manually scanning the SRT was one of the more cumbersome techniques. My now grown children have thanked me for it. I was surprised to see the massive negative response to the concept. How we raise and protect out children is our choice, not yours. There is a difference between what our children are exposed to outside our control and what filth we allow into our homes and other protected environments. Absolutely educate them into what is not appropriate. Options like what the OP is trying help us reinforce good parenting by not sending mixed signals.

I hope every person that did not like what is proposed is actively fighting against the FCC and congress for requiring editing movies shown on TV for content, and the broadcast industry editing for time. If you are not, leave the OP alone to do his work or at least still work with the intent of the website. I believe HELP is still part of the name.
    You're calling "E.T." filth?
    Sounds like Sharia Law.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess Deadpool 2 is off the viewing list. In Oz it was given a MA15+ rating same as UK 15. In USA R which I think is 17.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's almost guaranteed that anyone who wants a Profanity Remover would also kill for a Blasphemy Remover.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It changed the word asset to ****et and silenced the entire sentence.
    And there was I thinking an ass was a wild donkey. What a bummer.
    You must be a cunning linguist.
    Or a master baiter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I guess Deadpool 2 is off the viewing list. In Oz it was given a MA15+ rating same as UK 15. In USA R which I think is 17.
    R is similar to MA15+ Technically anyone can watch an R-rated movie in a cinema, but those under the age of 18 must watch in the company of a parent or adult legal guardian. NC-17 is the only US rating with a true minimum age - 18.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Aug 2018 at 13:51.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an article from Sydney Morning Herald way back in 2003 https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/who-gave-television-a-dirty-mouth-20...19-gdh9jk.html Four Weddings and a Funeral which has aired uncut on free to air TV several times since. So my guess is eventually Deadpool 1 and 2 will go to air here uncut.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an article from Sydney Morning Herald way back in 2003 https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/who-gave-television-a-dirty-mouth-20...19-gdh9jk.html Four Weddings and a Funeral which has aired uncut on free to air TV several times since. So my guess is eventually Deadpool 1 and 2 will go to air here uncut.
    I find it strange that an Australian newspaper would bother to report on what broadcast TV in the USA does. What difference should what America does with OTA TV make to Australia?

Movies and TV do operate under different rules regarding content. We don't have FTA and censoring movies for OTA is almost a moot point in the USA. Old classic movies are common, particularly on SD channels devoted to particular genres, but I can't recall the last time I saw a recently released theatrical movie intended for an adult audience aired OTA by one of the HD channels. The cost of airing recently released movies means that we don't see many of them broadcast OTA in HD, and most are children's movies because they start at times when young children are likely to be watching TV to allow enough time for the commercials needed to pay for the movie.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2018 at 01:06. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We do have FTA in the UK. The BBC channels (although financed by the licence fee) and the ITV ones (financed by advertising) can IMO be classed as FTA.

And it was the ITV service that was more likely to censor a film.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Usually_quiet. In Australia we are a very outward looking country and our TV news for instance deals with overseas news first, then national and finally local. Quite different to what I remember of US TV. So what happens in USA, Europe, Asia is well covered in newspapers and TV Nearly half our population was born overseas or parents so quite international. There are 3. Commercial networks and 2 taxpayer funded public broadcasters modelled loosely on BBC and Britains Ch 4. all Free to air. Foxtel is the major cable service together with Netflix etc streaming service. So not really unusual to report on what happens in America..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It changed the word asset to ****et and silenced the entire sentence.
    And there was I thinking an ass was a wild donkey. What a bummer.
    You must be a cunning linguist.
    Or a master baiter.
    Wash your mouth out you naughty boy.

Regards

Juan Kerr

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anytime somebody wants to mute "bad words", I hear George Carlin's bit in my head.
    RIP, George.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    And that is the recording that got radio station WBAI fined back in 1978, a landmark indecency case that went all the way to the Supreme Court.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually_quiet. In Australia we are a very outward looking country and our TV news for instance deals with overseas news first, then national and finally local. Quite different to what I remember of US TV. So what happens in USA, Europe, Asia is well covered in newspapers and TV Nearly half our population was born overseas or parents so quite international. There are 3. Commercial networks and 2 taxpayer funded public broadcasters modelled loosely on BBC and Britains Ch 4. all Free to air. Foxtel is the major cable service together with Netflix etc streaming service. So not really unusual to report on what happens in America..
    Cable and paid satellite services offer a number of news-only channels tailored to their viewer's interests and personal philosophies and these days that is where news junkies go to get their fix. This is probably the reason why news coverage beyond local news is not more expansive on OTA TV. The 3 major commercial OTA networks continue to provide some national and international news out of a sense of duty, but it's now a money-loser for commercial OTA TV in the US. PBS is the only OTA source for extensive national and overseas news coverage in the US. The PBS World subchannel carries Asia Insight and NHK Newsline on weekdays in the pre-dawn hours. The main PBS channel carries 1 hour worth of national news and BBC World News on weekdays.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2018 at 15:22. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing OTA is "over the air" if that's the case it's identical to what we call free to air ie a transmitter somewhere and picked up via ones antenna.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing OTA is "over the air" if that's the case it's identical to what we call free to air ie a transmitter somewhere and picked up via ones antenna.
    As I understood it, when VideoHelp members from the UK use the term "free-to-air" they mean either BBC channels or free advertising supported commercial TV broadcast via satellite, and use the term OTA for terrestrial broadcasts, I assumed the same terminology applied to Australian TV.

OTA in the USA is free terrrestrial broadcast TV. The US has no free satellite TV that is intended to be directly received by the public. Some people here set up a system which includes a satellite dish to pick up unencrypted broadcasts from various TV network satellites intended for their OTA local affiliates or for cable TV providers, but that is an uncommon way to watch TV here. Many more subscribe to a paid satellite service instead.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Aug 2018 at 22:11. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - terrestrial TV here is often referred to as FTA but it includes our ABC (no commercials) and SBS (commercials) both taxpayer funded from the Federal budget, no license fees and the 3 fully commercial networks. We are a sort of hybrid of US and UK but streaming services are taking over especially among the younger population and a few in my generation "The oldest nerd in the village!" On words, if it's genuinely in context even the C word can be used late at night but pretty rare. F word pops up all over the place and of course it's an Australian term of endearment to call your best friend "you silly old bastard" no offense ever taken but it does confuse the tourists!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I understood it, when VideoHelp members from the UK use the term "free-to-air" they mean either BBC channels or free advertising supported commercial TV broadcast via satellite
    Free to air TV is also terrestrial, the system is called Freeview.
    Quote Quote  
  20. @inieuwoudt1 I love the program, and use it for every single movie I watch.
    The new version is fast and has come a long way.
    Thank you Ian!
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    IMNSHO this thread should have been locked already.
    The Mussolini fanboys should have no room for expressing themselves in the 21st century.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. Let's not ruin Christmas.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I also wrote a program that does something similar, this one randomly inserts profanity into your favorite movie and I even included an option to string multiple pieces of profanity together. You haven't lived until you watched the Wizard of Oz or Ben-Hur with a few F-bombs.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I also wrote a program that does something similar, this one randomly inserts profanity into your favorite movie and I even included an option to string multiple pieces of profanity together. You haven't lived until you watched the Wizard of Oz or Ben-Hur with a few F-bombs.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Thank you for your tireless efforts, you ********.
    ...and have a Merry ***** *****mas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Thank you for your tireless efforts, you ********.
    ...and have a Merry ***** *****mas.
    The site auto-censored the bloody words. Wankers. Damn. What the hell? Sumbitch.

Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I also wrote a program that does something similar, this one randomly inserts profanity into your favorite movie and I even included an option to string multiple pieces of profanity together. You haven't lived until you watched the Wizard of Oz ... with a few F-bombs.
    That is terribly amusing. I'd watch that.

For the record, I take more offense at content. What passes for 'humor" these days isn't really funny at all. I'm far more tolerant of "bad" words that I am of outright grossness and smartassery.

Certain vocabulary just is not needed. But far more often, entire scenes or plot points are not needed.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi had no cussing, and yet parts of it were offensive (Finn walking around in the leaking underwear suit, Luke milking the monster). It was just needlessly disgusting non-funny attempt at humor from an idiot of a writer/director. Gags like that ruined that Star Wars movie (to say nothing of the messy plot, poor character use/dev, etc). I'd rather see "my" Luke tell Vader to piss off, than to see him squeezing monster teets for breakfast. But I'd just assume see neither.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 24th Dec 2020 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't lived until you watched the Wizard of Oz or Ben-Hur with a few F-bombs.
    Or E.T. the Extra-Terrible

Merry X-mas to everyone
    Quote Quote  
  27. Strip audio to wav with ffmpeg, edit in audacity (mute, reverse, add alternative audio, add bleep, add other sound effects), output new audio in wav, mux with video, encode to aac in ffpmeg in mkv wrapper. Bob's your uncle.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You would love it, picture the song "Follow the yellow brick road" as "F--k the giant pr--k ch--d" or "If I only had a brain" changed to "If I only had a xxxx".

Very entertaining, especially after a few beers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You would love it, picture the song "Follow the yellow brick road" as "F--k the giant pr--k ch--d" or "If I only had a brain" changed to "If I only had a xxxx".
    Very entertaining, especially after a few beers.
    Something more tame like "the wicked bitch of the west" would be more amusing. And I'd toss in regional color as well: UK, Australia, not just USA vulgar slang. (You could even go caricature racial. A black stereotype character, hispanic, redneck, Brit, whatever.)

I don't remember script well, been a while since I last saw it, but the Cowardly Lion says "let me at 'em, let me at 'em" (I think). Match the syllable length. Example new version: "I's gonna cap dat biches ass". I could totally see the lion reimagined as a black stereotype. Just deepen his vocals like Barry White. The scarecrow as a Brit (mostly replacement vocals here). Tin Man with filthy robot voice (just synthesize the actor voice).

Leave Dorothy voice alone. But "We're not in Kansas anymore" = "I think I wet myself."

There's an art to parody. You can't overdo it like an SNL skit, it actually loses funny if too far.

Something like your idea reminds me of the version of Cats with buttholes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0NLGcL6pI

Deepfake could help with the lipsync. There's enough speech in the movie to possibly synthesize the vocals within a good tolerance, if not changing dialects.

You could seriously do this. Make a trailer, it's parody fair use. Not the full-length movie.

I can appreciate a short movie parody, if done very well. Just like HISHE (how it should have ended) on Youtube, or the Pitch Meetings.

I'm serious here. Do it. Just have fun with it.

I'm sure it'll piss off some film purist, or the net nanny brigade, but tough shit. Good comedy always brings in their ire.

I think you'd have a lot of fun with this, and it's probably go viral as well. It's not something I have time for, otherwise I'd do it myself..
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 25th Dec 2020 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think those of us of a certain vintage bristle at the thought of any censorship having taken to the streets in countless demos protesting censorship of movies and the banning of books etc. It took a long time and lots of arrests but we finally won. So when I see requests to correct! naughty words...... well I'm underwhelmed but keep thinking of a little publication Mother Goose Rhymes - censored!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	56450  

Quote Quote