VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 49 of 49
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by svcdmaker View Post
    I have been using software and various techniques to remove all kinds of objectionable material from movies and TV shows for years. Manually scanning the SRT was one of the more cumbersome techniques. My now grown children have thanked me for it. I was surprised to see the massive negative response to the concept. How we raise and protect out children is our choice, not yours. There is a difference between what our children are exposed to outside our control and what filth we allow into our homes and other protected environments. Absolutely educate them into what is not appropriate. Options like what the OP is trying help us reinforce good parenting by not sending mixed signals.

    I hope every person that did not like what is proposed is actively fighting against the FCC and congress for requiring editing movies shown on TV for content, and the broadcast industry editing for time. If you are not, leave the OP alone to do his work or at least still work with the intent of the website. I believe HELP is still part of the name.
    You're calling "E.T." filth?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    The objectionable expression "penis-breath" in E.T. is a way to call someone a c-sucker. That being said, I don't think of sex as being filthy myself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by svcdmaker View Post
    I have been using software and various techniques to remove all kinds of objectionable material from movies and TV shows for years. Manually scanning the SRT was one of the more cumbersome techniques. My now grown children have thanked me for it. I was surprised to see the massive negative response to the concept. How we raise and protect out children is our choice, not yours. There is a difference between what our children are exposed to outside our control and what filth we allow into our homes and other protected environments. Absolutely educate them into what is not appropriate. Options like what the OP is trying help us reinforce good parenting by not sending mixed signals.

    I hope every person that did not like what is proposed is actively fighting against the FCC and congress for requiring editing movies shown on TV for content, and the broadcast industry editing for time. If you are not, leave the OP alone to do his work or at least still work with the intent of the website. I believe HELP is still part of the name.
    You're calling "E.T." filth?
    Sounds like Sharia Law.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    I guess Deadpool 2 is off the viewing list. In Oz it was given a MA15+ rating same as UK 15. In USA R which I think is 17.
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    It's almost guaranteed that anyone who wants a Profanity Remover would also kill for a Blasphemy Remover.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It changed the word asset to ****et and silenced the entire sentence.
    And there was I thinking an ass was a wild donkey. What a bummer.
    You must be a cunning linguist.
    Or a master baiter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I guess Deadpool 2 is off the viewing list. In Oz it was given a MA15+ rating same as UK 15. In USA R which I think is 17.
    R is similar to MA15+ Technically anyone can watch an R-rated movie in a cinema, but those under the age of 18 must watch in the company of a parent or adult legal guardian. NC-17 is the only US rating with a true minimum age - 18.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Aug 2018 at 14:51.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an article from Sydney Morning Herald way back in 2003 https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/who-gave-television-a-dirty-mouth-20...19-gdh9jk.html Four Weddings and a Funeral which has aired uncut on free to air TV several times since. So my guess is eventually Deadpool 1 and 2 will go to air here uncut.
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Here's an article from Sydney Morning Herald way back in 2003 https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/who-gave-television-a-dirty-mouth-20...19-gdh9jk.html Four Weddings and a Funeral which has aired uncut on free to air TV several times since. So my guess is eventually Deadpool 1 and 2 will go to air here uncut.
    I find it strange that an Australian newspaper would bother to report on what broadcast TV in the USA does. What difference should what America does with OTA TV make to Australia?

    Movies and TV do operate under different rules regarding content. We don't have FTA and censoring movies for OTA is almost a moot point in the USA. Old classic movies are common, particularly on SD channels devoted to particular genres, but I can't recall the last time I saw a recently released theatrical movie intended for an adult audience aired OTA by one of the HD channels. The cost of airing recently released movies means that we don't see many of them broadcast OTA in HD, and most are children's movies because they start at times when young children are likely to be watching TV to allow enough time for the commercials needed to pay for the movie.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2018 at 02:06. Reason: grammar
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    We do have FTA in the UK. The BBC channels (although financed by the licence fee) and the ITV ones (financed by advertising) can IMO be classed as FTA.

    And it was the ITV service that was more likely to censor a film.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Usually_quiet. In Australia we are a very outward looking country and our TV news for instance deals with overseas news first, then national and finally local. Quite different to what I remember of US TV. So what happens in USA, Europe, Asia is well covered in newspapers and TV Nearly half our population was born overseas or parents so quite international. There are 3. Commercial networks and 2 taxpayer funded public broadcasters modelled loosely on BBC and Britains Ch 4. all Free to air. Foxtel is the major cable service together with Netflix etc streaming service. So not really unusual to report on what happens in America..
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It changed the word asset to ****et and silenced the entire sentence.
    And there was I thinking an ass was a wild donkey. What a bummer.
    You must be a cunning linguist.
    Or a master baiter.
    Wash your mouth out you naughty boy.

    Regards

    Juan Kerr

    Quote Quote  
  13. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Anytime somebody wants to mute "bad words", I hear George Carlin's bit in my head.
    RIP, George.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    And that is the recording that got radio station WBAI fined back in 1978, a landmark indecency case that went all the way to the Supreme Court.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Usually_quiet. In Australia we are a very outward looking country and our TV news for instance deals with overseas news first, then national and finally local. Quite different to what I remember of US TV. So what happens in USA, Europe, Asia is well covered in newspapers and TV Nearly half our population was born overseas or parents so quite international. There are 3. Commercial networks and 2 taxpayer funded public broadcasters modelled loosely on BBC and Britains Ch 4. all Free to air. Foxtel is the major cable service together with Netflix etc streaming service. So not really unusual to report on what happens in America..
    Cable and paid satellite services offer a number of news-only channels tailored to their viewer's interests and personal philosophies and these days that is where news junkies go to get their fix. This is probably the reason why news coverage beyond local news is not more expansive on OTA TV. The 3 major commercial OTA networks continue to provide some national and international news out of a sense of duty, but it's now a money-loser for commercial OTA TV in the US. PBS is the only OTA source for extensive national and overseas news coverage in the US. The PBS World subchannel carries Asia Insight and NHK Newsline on weekdays in the pre-dawn hours. The main PBS channel carries 1 hour worth of national news and BBC World News on weekdays.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2018 at 16:22. Reason: grammar
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing OTA is "over the air" if that's the case it's identical to what we call free to air ie a transmitter somewhere and picked up via ones antenna.
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I'm guessing OTA is "over the air" if that's the case it's identical to what we call free to air ie a transmitter somewhere and picked up via ones antenna.
    As I understood it, when VideoHelp members from the UK use the term "free-to-air" they mean either BBC channels or free advertising supported commercial TV broadcast via satellite, and use the term OTA for terrestrial broadcasts, I assumed the same terminology applied to Australian TV.

    OTA in the USA is free terrrestrial broadcast TV. The US has no free satellite TV that is intended to be directly received by the public. Some people here set up a system which includes a satellite dish to pick up unencrypted broadcasts from various TV network satellites intended for their OTA local affiliates or for cable TV providers, but that is an uncommon way to watch TV here. Many more subscribe to a paid satellite service instead.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Aug 2018 at 23:11. Reason: grammar
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - terrestrial TV here is often referred to as FTA but it includes our ABC (no commercials) and SBS (commercials) both taxpayer funded from the Federal budget, no license fees and the 3 fully commercial networks. We are a sort of hybrid of US and UK but streaming services are taking over especially among the younger population and a few in my generation "The oldest nerd in the village!" On words, if it's genuinely in context even the C word can be used late at night but pretty rare. F word pops up all over the place and of course it's an Australian term of endearment to call your best friend "you silly old bastard" no offense ever taken but it does confuse the tourists!
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    Search Comp PM
    As I understood it, when VideoHelp members from the UK use the term "free-to-air" they mean either BBC channels or free advertising supported commercial TV broadcast via satellite
    Free to air TV is also terrestrial, the system is called Freeview.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads