VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi, sorry if my English broke,

I rare use converter software, I have tried some, and some of it is not great. some of it is taking too long (time) , some is limited or come with watermark(free),

based on you all experience, what is the free software that you all recommended to me?

and maybe this is more important than original question, do you all have any tips or trick or 'thing you should avoid' before and when doing convert, join, trim, crop, etc.

note : i using windows 10

and thanks for reading
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also depends on what video format (Codec) you are using. Highly compressed video, H.264, for example, is not easy to 'join, trim, crop' accurately.
    If you need to make a lot of frame accurate cuts, you may need to use a more complex (And usually not free) editor to re-encode at the cut points,
    or just re-encode the whole video, which will lead to some quality loss.

Editing can also be slow on a older PC, or one with limited memory, CPU speed or hard drive space.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you use Linux, for editing and converting I find Flowblade best. For fast trimming I use Vidcutter.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll second avidemux as an editor, it has a good balance of power and ease of use. Handbrake or vidcoder for encoders. As mentioned, if you want to cut x264 format video, the most commmon nowadays, anywhere there aren't a lot of free tools. All the ones I know only allow cutting x264 on key frames.

You're not going to find a magic fast converter, it doesn't exist. The best way to get speed out of your software i know of is to always use constant quantizer/crf mode, which is one pass but with the quality of 2 pass. You lose some control over the resulting file size but we aren't all trying to fit our encodes on a CD anymore so not such a problem now.

The other tips and tricks questions are a bit broad ... video encoding is actually pretty complicated and I'd suggest the guides on this site and your search engine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I'll second avidemux as an editor, it has a good balance of power and ease of use. Handbrake or vidcoder for encoders. As mentioned, if you want to cut x264 format video, the most commmon nowadays, anywhere there aren't a lot of free tools. All the ones I know only allow cutting x264 on key frames.
    You're not going to find a magic fast converter, it doesn't exist. The best way to get speed out of your software i know of is to always use constant quantizer/crf mode, which is one pass but with the quality of 2 pass. You lose some control over the resulting file size but we aren't all trying to fit our encodes on a CD anymore so not such a problem now.
    The other tips and tricks questions are a bit broad ... video encoding is actually pretty complicated and I'd suggest the guides on this site and your search engine.
    Originally Posted by betwixt View Post
    If you use Linux, for editing and converting I find Flowblade best. For fast trimming I use Vidcutter.
    Brian.
    Originally Posted by TeNSoR View Post
    Avidemux, XMedia Recode
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Also depends on what video format (Codec) you are using. Highly compressed video, H.264, for example, is not easy to 'join, trim, crop' accurately.
    If you need to make a lot of frame accurate cuts, you may need to use a more complex (And usually not free) editor to re-encode at the cut points,
    or just re-encode the whole video, which will lead to some quality loss.
    Editing can also be slow on a older PC, or one with limited memory, CPU speed or hard drive space.
    thanks for replies, sorry for long reply,
    as i read the replies, there no solid tips and trick when converting, i still looking for that if anybody likes to share
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason there aren't any 'solid' tips is because no one knows where to start ... you haven't stated what you really want to do. I still suggest reading some of the guides here but if you're looking for simple answers I don't think they're there. These video standards were never designed for users who want to, say, rip and shrink the files offf their disks. They're professional standards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    the question is what you want join, trim or crop or whatever.
    If everything is same resolution and framerate, than you can append trim and so on in Avidemux. Of course if you do not trim first part of selection on I frame, than you have to recompress and it last some time.
    If you have different resolutions or framerate, there is specialized type of software. Non linear editing. KDEnlive or shotcut and so on. There is lot of free of them. But it needs bit of learning and exporting take more time then avidemux, because usually resize filters and other filters or transitions have to be calculated.
    If you need speed just trim so first point is I-frame and video have in copy mode. But you are very limited with this.
    If you want cut your videos combine them with photos etc, you will need NLE software and because you complaining about speed, there is no software that will recompres fullhd 90min videos in 5 seconds.
    But if you don't care about size and prefer speed, there is possibility to use GPU encoding. For example in Avidemux.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    The reason there aren't any 'solid' tips is because no one knows where to start ... you haven't stated what you really want to do. I still suggest reading some of the guides here but if you're looking for simple answers I don't think they're there. These video standards were never designed for users who want to, say, rip and shrink the files offf their disks. They're professional standards.
    it seems too many tips but each tip depend to other tips, so it requires many setting to optimize compression
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    the question is what you want join, trim or crop or whatever.
    If everything is same resolution and framerate, than you can append trim and so on in Avidemux. Of course if you do not trim first part of selection on I frame, than you have to recompress and it last some time.
    If you have different resolutions or framerate, there is specialized type of software. Non linear editing. KDEnlive or shotcut and so on. There is lot of free of them. But it needs bit of learning and exporting take more time then avidemux, because usually resize filters and other filters or transitions have to be calculated.
    If you need speed just trim so first point is I-frame and video have in copy mode. But you are very limited with this.
    If you want cut your videos combine them with photos etc, you will need NLE software and because you complaining about speed, there is no software that will recompres fullhd 90min videos in 5 seconds.
    But if you don't care about size and prefer speed, there is possibility to use GPU encoding. For example in Avidemux.
    Bernix
    i just want to "convert" faster, of course, 90 minutes impossible under 1 minutes, i have try convert software like 'format factory', for compressing 90 minutes video it requires almost 3 hours, my processor is 15 and ram 8 gb, the pc is quite idle when i converting, of course it will be nice if it can reduce to 2 hour or maybe 1 or half hour
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i think, your problem isn't software using but speed of encoding. If you want super quality smallest file, it takes alot of time. If you encode to h265, try h264 instead. It is faster. Also you have to learn about 2pass encoding = you get exact size of video, or CRF. It is one pass quality based encoding. If you are not satisfied with quality you get with say CRF 24, try CRF 22 and so on, till you find quality that is at least acceptable for you. You can also use faster preset, easiest way to use presets, when you are not familiar with such think as Motion estimation or subpixel refinement and tons of other settings. Faster preset doesn't mean biggest file but overall quality will be lower. For example Very Fast preset makes smallest file than medium, is faster but quality is bit lower. But at same CRF difference shouldn't be great.
    So you can create about 3 mins video and tested several CRF settings and presets. You can also use ABR encoding which means average bitrate (I hope ) and if you are not satisfied with quality simply raise bitrate and encode again. But only CRF gives you similar quality with each video at coast of unpredictible filesize. Most people use CRF encoding.
    Also If you have powerful GPU you can speed up encoding significantly at coast of quality. For example in Hybrid. I believe it supports all, nvidia, amd and intel integrated card accelerations. If you have say 6hour video at 720p it seems to me be nonsense to not use GPU acceleration, otherwise it will take ordinary CPU ages to encode it.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    i think, your problem isn't software using but speed of encoding. If you want super quality smallest file, it takes alot of time. If you encode to h265, try h264 instead. It is faster. Also you have to learn about 2pass encoding = you get exact size of video, or CRF. It is one pass quality based encoding. If you are not satisfied with quality you get with say CRF 24, try CRF 22 and so on, till you find quality that is at least acceptable for you. You can also use faster preset, easiest way to use presets, when you are not familiar with such think as Motion estimation or subpixel refinement and tons of other settings. Faster preset doesn't mean biggest file but overall quality will be lower. For example Very Fast preset makes smallest file than medium, is faster but quality is bit lower. But at same CRF difference shouldn't be great.
    So you can create about 3 mins video and tested several CRF settings and presets. You can also use ABR encoding which means average bitrate (I hope ) and if you are not satisfied with quality simply raise bitrate and encode again. But only CRF gives you similar quality with each video at coast of unpredictible filesize. Most people use CRF encoding.
    Also If you have powerful GPU you can speed up encoding significantly at coast of quality. For example in Hybrid. I believe it supports all, nvidia, amd and intel integrated card accelerations. If you have say 6hour video at 720p it seems to me be nonsense to not use GPU acceleration, otherwise it will take ordinary CPU ages to encode it.
    Bernix
    thanks for reply,
    is hybrid stand alone software or add on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Hybrid is standalone application. But it isn't as Avidemux so it converts whole file. Of course you can set range, but in cuting and aplying filters there is avidemux probably better.
    Can you tell me, what type of GPU do you have?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    Hybrid is standalone application. But it isn't as Avidemux so it converts whole file. Of course you can set range, but in cuting and aplying filters there is avidemux probably better.
    Can you tell me, what type of GPU do you have?
    Bernix
    gtx 750ti 2gb vram+4gb shared ram
    i5-4460
    8gb ram
    Quote Quote