VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a program that can allow me working on the color and "apparent" resolution of mkv video files.

The only sophisticated program I know that can do that is Avid Media Composer, which I use on my professional videos shot in SD or HD.

But I wonder if there's something simpler that might allow me doing what I want with good results and less complicated handling.

Programs like TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works allow some color changes, but they were not enough for I intended to do.

Today I found a program called Hitfilm Pro that I thought might be an option, but I doesn't allow me importing mkv files. I might try converting mkv to mp4, which the program does work with, but I'm not sure if that might be bad for the mkv files.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on what type of video inside the MKV

If it's "regular" 8bit AVC 4:2:0 , then you can re-wrap (stream copy) it into MP4 without re-encoding and it will be accepted into almost all editing programs including hitfilm (hitfilm is considered more of a compositing tool/effects program). Re-wrapping very fast, no quality loss

You can check with mediainfo for more information on what type of video you have
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's an 8 bit 4.2.0 video.

How do I re-wrap it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    Yes, it's an 8 bit 4.2.0 video.

How do I re-wrap it?
    mkvtomp4 , or ffmpeg,
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, it worked fine with mkvtomp4. The file seems to be untouched.

How do I install ffmpeg on my computer? I thought I did have it, but only for Audacity.

The explanations I have seen on how to do it seem confusing. Isn't there a way for ffmpeg to install itself?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    hitfilm is considered more of a compositing tool/effects program
    The Pro version of Hitfilm seems quite sophisticated on the options for color grading. Have a look at the options.

Now I have learn how to use it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hitfilm pro.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	46396  

Quote Quote