VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am curious about this hardware/software package. Seems like the hardware connects a VHS playing device to a computer and seemingly converts that data into something the computer can read, while the software writes it to DVD. Or, the software converts and burns. I mention what it does, in case someone seeing this post, hasn't heard of this package like I hadn't, until I saw it advertised at Best Buy.

Obviously this would work with things you recorded on VHS yourself. But what about pre-recorded tales you own? As I understand it, it's legal to copy pre-recorded tapes as long it's for your own use. (At least, I believe tape to tape was considered legal. Pre-recorded tape to disc, disc to disc. I'm not sure, the moderator will let me know by accepting, or, rejecting this post.) Of course, I ask because I have some precorded tapes I'd like to put on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Radio? You mean Roxio? Most capture devices will not capture Macrovision protected commercial VHS tapes. I don't know specifically about Roxio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I did mean Roxio.
    (Darn predictive text changed it. Didn't notice until too late.)
    As for Roxio like capture systems being unable copy tapes with Macrovision, and, etc. That is what I thought the answer would be, unless an "image stablizer" type device could be plugged into the setup, and, I doubt that such a device could be anyway.
    Haven't bought a Roxio ( or, other such device,) and, now I am unlikely to do so.
    Thanks Jag, for satisfying my curiosity.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Using a video clarifier between the VHS deck and the capture device will work for many Macrovision protected tapes. But there are a few different versions of Macrovision and a clarifier won't work for all of them. There are some full frame time base correctors that can eliminate the Macrovision.
    Quote Quote