VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, could someone give a tip to improve the quality of screenshots taken from UHD/HEVC files of seedbox running rtorrent/rutorrent installed on Ubuntu Server Armhf 16.04 "Xenial Xerus" (32bits) OS? Many screenshots are shown without any image definition. I don´t have problem with the screenshots of FHD videos. The screenshot plugin use the ffmpeg software. I don´t know if is necessary any adjust in the lines codes of plugins, or if exist a best way to take perfect screenshots of UHD videos through the terminal SSH?

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Shutter and max out the quality rate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What container are the files in? (mkv, ts, ..??)
    What is the ffmpeg command and complete log?
    What version of ffmpeg are you using? From what I understand with that distribution it is often the version from back when the distribution was initially released plus a few cherry-picked security fixes. I.e. any other bug fixes of e.g. HEVC in mkv handling are not in there?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    What container are the files in? (mkv, ts, ..??)
    What is the ffmpeg command and complete log?
    What version of ffmpeg are you using? From what I understand with that distribution it is often the version from back when the distribution was initially released plus a few cherry-picked security fixes. I.e. any other bug fixes of e.g. HEVC in mkv handling are not in there?
    Hi @sneaker, thanks for your reply.

1. What container are the files in? (mkv, ts, ..??)
    I verified that the problem occur with .m2ts UHD files. I tested the screenshot plugin with .mkv UHD files and didn´t have problems.

2. What is the ffmpeg command and complete log?
    I am running the screenshot plugin from rutorrent gui. So, don´t have any command or log.

3. What version of ffmpeg are you using?
    $ ffmpeg -version
    ffmpeg version 2.8.6-1ubuntu2 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
    built with gcc 5.3.1 (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.3.1-11ubuntu1) 20160311
    configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=1ubuntu2 --build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf --incdir=/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf --cc=cc --cxx=g++ --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --disable-decoder=libopenjpeg --disable-decoder=libschroedinger --enable-avresample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencv
    libavutil 54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
    libavcodec 56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
    libavformat 56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
    libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
    libavfilter 5. 40.101 / 5. 40.101
    libavresample 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
    libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
    libswresample 1. 2.101 / 1. 2.101
    libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Try Shutter and max out the quality rate.
    I don´t know if the Shutter software can solve my problem, because I use the screenshot plugin from rutorrent gui.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kdantas View Post
    I verified that the problem occur with .m2ts UHD files. I tested the screenshot plugin with .mkv UHD files and didn´t have problems.
    Ok, this is then a limitation of ffmpeg. In ts it doesn't have any index for safe (input) seeking. The references for the HEVC decoding are missing so only I frames decode correctly. I recommend using a different software for screenshots.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kdantas View Post
    Ok, this is then a limitation of ffmpeg. In ts it doesn't have any index for safe (input) seeking. The references for the HEVC decoding are missing so only I frames decode correctly. I recommend using a different software for screenshots.
    So, do you have any suggestion of software/plugin to install in my seedbox to take perfect screenshots of .m2ts UHD files?
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you were using a GUI I'd say just use a player like mpv or VLC but you are only using terminal?
    It's a bit tricky, then. With ffmpeg you could use combined input and output seeking. The input point should be before a keyframe, the output point after it. If your source has a keyframe interval of 1 second then this should be safe (screenshot at 01:20:17):
    ffmpeg -ss 01:20:15 -i "input.ts" -ss 00:00:02 -frames:v 1 "output.jpg"
    (Increase the second seeking value if your source has a bigger keyframe interval.)

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Seeking#Combinedseeking
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you actually play UHD video? Because AFAIK you can't take a screenshot bigger than the screen res you have.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    If you were using a GUI I'd say just use a player like mpv or VLC but you are only using terminal?
    It's a bit tricky, then. With ffmpeg you could use combined input and output seeking. The input point should be before a keyframe, the output point after it. If your source has a keyframe interval of 1 second then this should be safe (screenshot at 01:20:17):
    ffmpeg -ss 01:20:15 -i "input.ts" -ss 00:00:02 -frames:v 1 "output.jpg"
    (Increase the second seeking value if your source has a bigger keyframe interval.)

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Seeking#Combinedseeking
    Hi @sneaker, If I am running ruTorrent Gui, I really don´t know how to use a player to take screenshots. I think is not possible. But I will test ffmpeg via terminal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot Plugin.png
Views:	147
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	46389
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Can you actually play UHD video? Because AFAIK you can't take a screenshot bigger than the screen res you have.
    Hi @Hoser, I just want to take screenshots of videos files that are in my seedbox. In this case, .m2ts files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Duplicated!!!
    Quote Quote