VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got 9 Monogatari Limited Edition Japanese Blu-Rays [Bakemonogatari: Hitagi Crab, Mayoi Mai Mai, Suruga Monkey, Nadeko Snake | Nisemonogatari: Karen Bee (Above) | Nekomonogatari - Kuro: (Above & Below) and Kabukimonogatari: (Above and Below)] and they look spectacular. However, since they're Japanese they include no subtitles but Japanese audio and Japanese audio + commentary (with some of them containing extras). I've got the subtitles for each respective disc but I have no idea how to add them, since they come on a BDMV-Certification folder format and it won't let me copy the iso then re-burn it with the subtitles. I'm new to DVD/BD ripping and all that stuff so I'm glad to learn. I have MakeMKV, MKVToolnix, Handbrake, VLC (with Blu-Ray Capability) and PowerDVD 18 installed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guide for adding a subtitle on a Blu-Ray Disc keeping the original menu

You can see the subtitles with the remote control only.

edit the menu is more complex.

good luck.

Buena suerte.
    Last edited by sekininsha; 3rd Aug 2018 at 20:53.
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sekininsha View Post
    Guide for adding a subtitle on a Blu-Ray Disc keeping the original menu

good luck.

Buena suerte.
    They don't even include subtitles. I already checked that on a Blu-Ray player and on both my PS3 and PS4. I have the subtitles on my PC (I have an ASUS BW-16D1HT) and want to ADD them to the disc itself so I can watch the subs on any other Blu-Ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DPantigoso View Post

good luck.

Buena suerte.
    They don't even include subtitles. I already checked that on a Blu-Ray player and on both my PS3 and PS4. I have the subtitles on my PC (I have an ASUS BW-16D1HT) and want to ADD them to the disc itself so I can watch the subs on any other Blu-Ray player.
    try dvdfab, with it you can add external subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With kodi 16 and above it is possible to add a external subtitle to a blu-ray disc.

Load the blu-ray, play it, and go the disc menu, choose audio, enable use subtitles, go to add subtitle (same audio menu) and browse to the location where you put the subtitle (it can be a network location, harddisk or usb flash drive)
    In kodi 16 it can only be srt subtitles, in 17 pgs is also possible.
    The only downside is that you can't skip chapters but fast forward works well

I think this feature of kodi is absolutely amazing!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

good luck.

Buena suerte.
    try dvdfab, with it you can add external subtitles.
    Does dvdfab actually let me add those subtitles to the Blu-Ray itself so that I can use them with any other BD Player? I forgot to mention but the subtitle files I have are also .ass
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    With kodi 16 and above it is possible to add a external subtitle to a blu-ray disc.

Load the blu-ray, play it, and go the disc menu, choose audio, enable use subtitles, go to add subtitle (same audio menu) and browse to the location where you put the subtitle (it can be a network location, harddisk or usb flash drive)

I'll do a ditto for this one: does Kodi actually let me add those subtitles to the Blu-Ray itself so that I can use them with any other BD Player? I forgot to mention but the subtitle files I have are also .ass...

By the way sorry for the late replies. I was not at home these days.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

I'll do a ditto for this one: does Kodi actually let me add those subtitles to the Blu-Ray itself so that I can use them with any other BD Player? I forgot to mention but the subtitle files I have are also .ass...

By the way sorry for the late replies. I was not at home these days.
    No the subtitle is only added to the video stream in kodi, The disk is not changed in any way (it can't be, it is a ROM, Read only Memory)
    So it only works within kodi.

If you want a option that will play almost anywhere than go with the makemkv path and include the subtitle inside the mkv. Or use makemkv to create a copy of the original disc and use handbrake to make a compressed mkv
    That is much easier than make a new blu-ray
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All right, so I managed to find a collection of programs that SHOULD work, but I'm getting a couple of hiccups. I'm following this guide: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=151925 on using multiAVCHD, ffdshow and Haali in order to get the subtitles on the disc itself, but I'm getting a couple of problems, such as random AVSInfo.exe and tsMuxeR.exe have stopped working. Also, multiAVCHD doesn't show audio or subtitle tracks or even previews of the video itself. I'm nearly at my wits end...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	no subtitle, audio tracks or previews showing.PNG
Views:	901
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	46393  

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    since they come on a BDMV-Certification folder format and it won't let me copy the iso
    So just to be clear the movie comes as a iso? it is not a pressed blu-ray disk?

In that case you can add subtitles to a new authored blu-ray but i don't know how that's done, as i have never done that. It looks complicated though
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    since they come on a BDMV-Certification folder format and it won't let me copy the iso
    Japanese discs are expensive, and it doesn't appear that the OP actually bought and imported them.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

In that case you can add subtitles to a new authored blu-ray but i don't know how that's done, as i have never done that. It looks complicated though
    No, the movie is in a BDMV-Certification folder format and, until yesterday, it wouldn't let me copy the iso. I've done so much I get confused. I've been trying to add subtitles with multiAVCHD but since it's abandonware I haven't been able to do it. I don't know what 'pressed blu-ray disc' means though. I'll try and get blank blu-rays to literally copy the discs and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by valvehead View Post
    Japanese discs are expensive, and it doesn't appear that the OP actually bought and imported them.
    Yes, they are. Especially new ones. I bought used ones when I went to Japan back in December. So yes, I bought them, and brought them back home to Costa Rica with me. If I hadn't seen so many posts of people actually trying to get help for illegal copies I would've been insulted by this, but instead here is a picture of my thumbs up and the boxes the discs came in.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180807_212343[1].jpg
Views:	389
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	46405  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize for doubting you.

I also visited Japan about 6 years ago, and I brought home a bunch of used discs for a series that will most likely never be licensed here. I have also spent entirely too much on North American anime releases.

Is your end goal to put the content with subtitles back onto BD discs or would you be okay with keeping them in MKV files? Keeping them as media files would be easier since you would just mux in the .ass subtitles.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No hard feelings. I saw WAY too many useless posts about people with illegal copies asking for help.

Indeed. Having them as video files is way easier (I already made .mkvs with hard-coded subtitles for two of them) but I want to keep the original menu and content, instead just add subtitles (hard-coded if needed) to the blu-ray itself. However, it's become a nightmare. I managed to 'fix' multiAVCHD to the point that I get previews and can see the subtitles, but now it says tsMuxeR.exe has stopped working, and on the compilations it says 'Video codec (-1) is not supported.' I'm tearing my hair out by now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

good luck.

Buena suerte.
    Whole guide is useless without the Bluray.bat file.
    Quote Quote