VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

We bought a 6 disc DVD-Video format set (or so it says on the package) of a tour in Eastern Europe.

It looks like something someone made with the help of a small-time local production company.

The discs play in any computer, but they will not play in any DVD player I've tried, or my Samsung Blu-Ray player.

The discs have two folders in their root: AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS. Inside of the VIDEO_TS folder there are IFO, BUP, and VOB files.

Thinking that perhaps the problem was the quality of the media itself, or the way it was encoded when burned, I took some fresh Verbatim media, copied the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders to my PC, and then burned them to the Verbatim blank. I used the built-in software in Windows 10 to burn it.

The results are exactly the same, disc plays fine in my PC but not in any DVD/Blu-Ray player.

What can I do?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you, by chance, buy a PAL DVD set overseas and you're trying to play it in your US DVD player? Your description sounds like that - computer, yes, DVD player, no.

If correct, you'll either need a multi-format and region-free DVD player or you'll have to convert the DVDs to NTSC.

The kind of DVD player you'll need, if the DVDs are PAL, would be like one of THESE.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Did you, by chance, buy a PAL DVD set overseas and you're trying to play it in your US DVD player? Your description sounds like that - computer, yes, DVD player, no.

If correct, you'll either need a multi-format and region-free DVD player or you'll have to convert the DVDs to NTSC.

The kind of DVD player you'll need, if the DVDs are PAL, would be like one of THESE.
    Being made in Europe, it probably is encoded in PAL.

I'd like to transcode it if possible, rip the DVD to a new file type and then burn it back in NTSC. I have VLC Media Player that allows me to stream to file and transcode. Unfortunately I wasn't sure which file type to select. MP4 for 1080p ?? Then can I burn that file back as DVD-Video and get NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bxd20 View Post
    Unfortunately I wasn't sure which file type to select. MP4 for 1080p ?? Then can I burn that file back as DVD-Video and get NTSC?
    No, you don't want to reencode it for MP4 followed by yet another reencode for DVD. Both steps will degrade the video quality. Any reencoding will degrade the video quality somewhat, so you want to keep your reencodes to a minimum.

I'd suggest Avs2DVD. It'll do the conversion in a single step. You'll lose the original menus. You can choose to replace them, if you wish, with some rudimentary menus.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once you've converted the DVD to NTSC, use Imgburn to create and burn a Video DVD. Not only is Imgburn a much higher quality program than the one included in Win 10, but from your description (copying and burning the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files), you probably created a Data DVD, not a proper Video DVD, which may be a reason it didn't work in your players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    An easier way is use makemkv and rip the videos to mkv and put them on blu-ray/dvd-/+r or usb drive as data files and watch them on your blu-ray player.No need for any conversion.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote