VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recently I purchased a Panasonic NV FS 200 deck.
    It's comparable to AG-1980P:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html

But it does not work as I expected.
    About 90% of my recordings have very bad picture.
    The tapes may not be perfect but the picture is just fine on my own, old Sanyo deck (VHS, no TBS, composite).
    I'm attaching samples for comparison.

It looks like it's very fragile and very prone to even smallest tape's defects / imperfections.

What do you think? Is this fixable? Did anyone have similar experience?

PS. I cleaned the head. it didn't help
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Probably bad tape wrap around the video drum. Repair requires specialized tools, test tape, and oscilloscope.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    One simple thing you can do is see if the entrance and exit roller guides are going all the way to their stops. They travel on little sleds along tracks stretching from the cassette out to the drum. Sometimes there is gunk that keeps them from traveling all the way.

Also, the height of these guides is crucial to video tracking, but you usually have to take things apart to adjust them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the tips.
    I opened the deck and looks fine to me (but I'm new to it and may have missed something).
    I could take a recording of the mechanism and upload it here if that helps.

Also contacted several repair shops here in poland and they say the heads is broken or exhausted.
    That's weird cause some cassettes have very good vision.
    Really confused..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, a lot of shops will just say "heads" because that's the most expensive thing it could be.
    While you have it open, clean the rest of the tape path with swabs/buds and alcohol. How is the pinch roller? It should be a smooth, somewhat soft, perfect cylinder. Are your bad tapes all the same make/model? They could be dragging in the mechanism.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Pinch roller - you mean the black, plastic cylinder? yes, there was some dirt on it, removed it but it didn't change much.

I took a short video, maybe you can catch something
    https://vimeo.com/282809593
    Quote Quote  
  7. As far as tapes: all kind of models. No pattern here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    The pinch roller is rubber, not plastic. It should not be hard like plastic.
    Improper tape tension can be caused by lots of things. I think your VCR needs pro repair.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got your PM.

If this VCR was sourced from eBay, and it has issues, I'm not at all surprised. eBay has turned into a video dumping ground, where at least 2/3rd of all VCRs are broken, and the 1/3rd claiming to be fine/working/tested are actually also broken in some way. At very least, they're almost all in serious disrepair and had zero maintenance in years past. I hate that I'm sounding as curmudgeonly as orsetto these days, but his tirades are getting to be accurate. Just return it, find another.

It could be heads ... or maybe not.
    It could be many things. But what is clear is this: it's not working correctly.

Panasonics are often nice VCRs, when working correctly, but they have probably the toughest repair and maintenance routine. I won't even touch mine, and just pay a reputable shop or repairman. I can do JVCs, and many others -- just not these.

I'd be wary of giving it any tapes, for fear that it's damaging them. That happens, too.
    Quote Quote