VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone here using a 3d printer?Just like to know how convenient is to have one and making items.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Personally don't have 3D printer but few friends of mine can't live without 3D printers... (some of them has many units) - i suppose this is one of things that you can live without for years until you finally decide to own one and after this you realize that you can't live without them... printing is painfully slow...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a da Vinci 1.0 3D printer for a few years from XYZ Printing. A fairly inexpensive entry level printer.
    A bit slow but lots of free 3D files available from https://3d-gallery.xyzprinting.com/en-US/gallery/

I run it off an older PC. You basically just run the file and go away for a few hours and the project is done.
    It can print fairly large objects, about 8 inches square. It's easy to set up and use. Weighs about 50 pounds.

I've never designed any project myself, but probably not that hard. Some owners use the printers to create custom
    brackets or parts. I bought it about 3 years ago. Still for sale on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Vinci-1-0-3D-Printer-Enclosed/dp/B00SO6O6TI
    Last edited by redwudz; 31st Jul 2018 at 13:53.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just ordered this 3d printer- https://www.ebay.ca/itm/High-Precision-Auto-Leveling-3D-Printer-Kit-DIY-Reprap-i3-BIG-...72.m2749.l2649 packed weight is 19 lbs and does about 9.5x8.5x8.5 inch prints.Thanks for the xyz printing link redwudz.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, they aren't exactly Star Trek replicators. 3D Printers are IMO still a long way away from being consumer devices on the level of paper printers. Their printouts still require a lot of tinkering, the devices themselves will require tinkering, you are going to have to learn how they work and how to replace/upgrade/repair parts. They are definitely more of a hobby right now than just a consumer device to print what you want.

There are also different types of printers (FDM or FFF are the most common, but there are SLA and DPS, though anything other than that is typically out of most consumer's reach), and what you can and can't print with them varies.

It's not really a simple question to answer, any specific questions you had?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't own one but I believe that within a decade food 3d printers will become commonplace on kitchen counters
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the stuff that is printed by these things is inedible.

Star Trek replicators are still science fiction.

Scott
    Quote Quote