VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used dvd43 for years with my xp computer. Now thinking about getting a win7 with a br drive.. The guys that make "convert-x-to dvd" Has a blu-ray to dvd converter now too. But I believe I would need a decrypter to go with it that works like my old dvd43. anydvd is expensive and seems to be "fly-by-night" these days. DvdFab has several programs but you have to be connected to the internet to use. Is there a simple decrypter that I can get that just works. With NO internet connection. I wonder if dvd43 still would work for at least regular dvd's? but don't know if it is win 7 compatable.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some newer DVD's & Blu-ray's have newer copy protection schemes. The internet requirement is only for the copy protection portion. DVD decrypter still works with some DVD's
    And doesn't require internet connection. And you can try makemkv for your Blu-ray's.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think make mkv would work as just a decrypter? I realy don't want to have to be connected to the internet.. Would the connection be just temporary, or does it have to be on the entire time the brd is being converted?. I would think there is something out there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pygar77 View Post
    I didn't think make mkv would work as just a decrypter? I realy don't want to have to be connected to the internet.. Would the connection be just temporary, or does it have to be on the entire time the brd is being converted?. I would think there is something out there.
    Conversion form DVD/Blu Ray to *anything* is always faster when the DVD/Blu Ray has already been copied to your computer.
    MakeMKV will decrypt and copy almost anything, easily and quickly.
    Once you are done converting (from the HDD)....just delete the original.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think make mkv would work as just a decrypter?
    Indeed, according to the features list:

* Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
    * Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
    * Preserves chapters information
    * Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
    * Fast conversion - converts as fast as your drive can read data.
    * No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
    * Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
    * Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
    * All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV in "Backup" mode allows making decrypted copies of the Blu-ray files and folders on your hard drive. The only option MakeMKV provides for ripping DVDs is MKV. MakeMKV only requires an Internet connection when you need to download a new version or need to obtain a new key when the current key expires.

If you want a Blu-ray decrypter that runs in the background to allow playing protected discs with other software as well as copying discs as files and folders, then you need AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray, both of which require an Internet connection each time you open the program.

Note that you will need another product to remove Cinavia if you have a disc that uses it and a player that detects it. None of the three programs above removes Cinavia.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sounds to me that I could use makemkv to rip a blu-ray to my drive, then use convert-x-to-dvd to convert the video to dvd. I already have version 5 of convert-x-to-dvd. Under the "file" tab there is an option of "load bluray/dvd" not sure if they are talking about source or destination.. I have always just used it to burn on to dvd, 720p mp4's from youtube .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sounds to me that I could use makemkv to rip a blu-ray to my drive, then use convert-x-to-dvd to convert the video to dvd. I already have version 5 of convert-x-to-dvd. Under the "file" tab there is an option of "load bluray/dvd" not sure if they are talking about source or destination.. I have always just used it to burn on to dvd, 720p mp4's from youtube .
    I have never tried ConvertXtoDVD so I don't know how its options work. If "load bluray/dvd" doesn't do what you think it does, MakeMKV can also create MKVs containing only the main movie from a Blu-ray disc. ConvertXtoDVD can import MKV files. Since MakeMKV is free, why not download it and perform the experiment?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote