VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just inherited a bunch of old internal DVD drives from a relative. Most are IDE DVD burner drives, mostly Pioneers and Sonys. I'd like to find a way to test them to see if they are functioning correctly or not. My relative doesn't remember - he just says that he removed them from his computer when he would get read errors on burned discs. And then, naturally, stacked them in the attic. If any of the drives actually work, I'd rather not toss them.

I have used Nero DiscSpeed many times to confirm whether a disc has errors or not, but I don't know if any software exists that can check if a drive's reading/writing ability is operating at 100%. Does such a tool exist? I did search online but only found a program called "CD/DVD Diagnostic" but it seems to have only one basic tool called a "Readability Test" and I'm not sure if that's what I need. (And the program is a little pricey.)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

- Jen
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks for the reply.

I looked at both programs, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but both seem to only a) report the facts about a drive's configuration/features (not its actual ability), and b) analyze burned media (which I can already do in Nero DiscSpeed). Do either of these programs offer a way to analyze the burning ability of a drive as opposed to simply reporting its configuration?

Again, maybe a tool like this doesn't exist - that's what I was hoping to find, if one does. If I'm wrong about either of these two programs' abilities, please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try running a known good disc through Imgburn and check the report it gives on the burner operation.
    Quote Quote