VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is there any software regardless of operating system - free or paid for that allows keyframing for audio effects that DJ s would use for mixing ? reverb flanger etc that then allows me to keyframe those effects ? not just the normal audio effects. like fade in and fade out. not just loudnes etc.

only for audio not video keyframing.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. ProTools, Audacity or Reaper -- but none of those will do it on the fly (which is what I read into your specific mention of DJ use.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry but the whole point of a DJ is to mix effects on-the-fly and not to pre-mix which is what you propose.

And key-frames is for the video realm. Audio streams know zilch about frames.

Already pointy out that there does exist audio editors yet, again, the true DJ will do these in real time and not rely on pre-prepared items.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Sorry but the whole point of a DJ is to mix effects on-the-fly ....
    Exactly! Should be through Ableton Live and/or Push console.

[Attachment 46172 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by budwzr; 24th Jul 2018 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    ProTools, Audacity or Reaper -- but none of those will do it on the fly (which is what I read into your specific mention of DJ use.)
    audaciity has keyframing?

i am not good enough to do what a dj does. i just want to try my own thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ProTools CAN easily do live/real-time playback FX adjustments, though, btw. Midi control is common.

For DJ stuff, Abelton does make more sense.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ProTools CAN easily do live/real-time playback FX adjustments, though, btw. Midi control is common.

Scott
    can i install pro tools on Linux?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Pro Tools does not run on Linux. For what you want to do, Ableton or Native Instruments Traktor would seem to be better. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    ProTools, Audacity or Reaper -- but none of those will do it on the fly (which is what I read into your specific mention of DJ use.)
    audaciity has keyframing?

i am not good enough to do what a dj does. i just want to try my own thing.
    I meant Audition. Sorry about that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. no worries

it seems Qtractor allows you do that but its a bitch to learn the so called automation that allows it.

ia am struggling to figure out how to apply more than one plug in and keyframe it differently for each one and the different setting within each plug in.

but at least something exist that allow you to that.
    Last edited by oduodui; 26th Jul 2018 at 03:56.
    Quote Quote  
  12. ok ardour can do it as well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=oduodui;2525213]
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Akai makes some great midi controllers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What I still don't understand is the original requisites: "key-framing" and "on-the-fly" are kind of mutually exclusive, don't you think?
    If you are in a live situation and need to change a control in realtime, how would you have already put down a marker to make some point a keyframe if it didn't occur yet. OTOH, if you already had the soundfile and make keyframes for your changes, there is no "on-the-fly" going on there.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    can i install pro tools on Linux?
    No you can't ... there's no native Linux version and it's rated Garbage in the Wine app database. But WIne is actually a ridiculous hack and usually fails, and other 'emulators' are all Wine based. There's no Ableton Linux version either.

The only Linux DJ software I've ever heard anything good about is mixxx but I've never used it.

The thread title says "software regardless of operating system" and for pro audio tools Linux is severely lacking. Use Windows for that stuff. And I'm saying this as someone who deleted all his Windows partitions. Go to linuxmusicians.org to see the state of things.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    What I still don't understand is the original requisites: "key-framing" and "on-the-fly" are kind of mutually exclusive, don't you think?
    If you are in a live situation and need to change a control in realtime, how would you have already put down a marker to make some point a keyframe if it didn't occur yet. OTOH, if you already had the soundfile and make keyframes for your changes, there is no "on-the-fly" going on there.

Scott
    yes they are i suppose. i want to take a piece of music and just be able to edit and change it with different effects on a timeline and be able to adjust those effects so that the effects works with one on a trial and error basis since i have ni musical ability and just create something to my liking. its not going to be for anyone else. definitely not live for an audience . just a past time if you will,.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, sounds like you want keyframing capability with the FX parameters able to be live controlled, but that those control points have automation record/latch capability. That way you play the file multiple times, do multiple automation record passes (takes), change a few of the sections when necessary with latch passes, then go into the recorded automation points and tweak to your desired intent. All without knowing music beyond your gut groove.
    Not sure of the other apps, but ProTools can do that in spades. Win or Mac, but not Linux, though you originally mentioned that was no issue.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like OP wants to build a super custom MusikMaker universal array played out on a Push (or other) Console. Interesting. That's what Ableton DJ's do is to actually "Perform" the musik live.

Check out Novation Launch Pad. And Akai mini keyboard. Those two, plus Ableton Live software should do all you need. That's entry level, except for Ableton, which is pro, but should do what you want for cheap entry level price. Ableton has tons of automation. Get the Standard Version.

Myself, I'm a "loops" musician. I think that's what you want.
    Last edited by budwzr; 31st Jul 2018 at 17:35.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Ok, sounds like you want keyframing capability with the FX parameters able to be live controlled, but that those control points have automation record/latch capability. That way you play the file multiple times, do multiple automation record passes (takes), change a few of the sections when necessary with latch passes, then go into the recorded automation points and tweak to your desired intent. All without knowing music beyond your gut groove.
    Not sure of the other apps, but ProTools can do that in spades. Win or Mac, but not Linux, though you originally mentioned that was no issue.

Scott
    yes that's it exactly. thanks man. its a pity about not being able to do that on Linux. but youve nailed exactly what i want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    It sounds like OP wants to build a super custom MusikMaker universal array played out on a Push (or other) Console. Interesting. That's what Ableton DJ's do is to actually "Perform" the musik live.

Check out Ovation Launch Pad. And Akai mini keyboard. Those two, plus Ableton Live software should do all you need. That's entry level, except for Ableton, which is pro, but should do what you want for cheap entry level price. Ableton has tons of automation. Get the Standard Version.

Myself, I'm a "loops" musician. I think that's what you want.
    thanks will check it out!!
    Quote Quote